Author Topic: New Mills Pumping Station  (Read 55446 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: New Mills Pumping Station
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2021, 01:40:34 AM »
Hi Terry and MJM..Thanks and am .still trying to sort out the turbine blades and need to spend more time in the workshop...

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2021, 02:59:40 AM »
So getting in a bit of muddle with this... I think the person that made the larger size model that I am copying seems to have made it as a visual piece rather than a working model ??!! so I have had to rework the soft copper blades in situ and have put lots of car filler in the slots  to give them a bit more stability and strength whilst filling to the correct shape. There is a ring about half way down that provides the water seal arrangement  to direct the water in the correct direction , so each blade has to be filed individually to achieve the required result. I am about half way there but having trouble with my neck again... it looks a bit of a mess at the moment but a lot of tyidying and some paint will sort it out....

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2021, 03:00:47 AM »
OK so I have now filed the blades to the correct depth and have soldered the retaining ring in place using my 200 Watt iron ...so auto not burn /set fire to the filler !!  the blades are now a bit firmer in place so they can be shaped and bent to profile  ...so this is one of the trickiest jobs so far done and the other parts of the turbine can be tackled .The ring was preheated and tinned before assembly and when there is some black paint it will look ok .....however ...no one will see it as it is enclosed in the housing ?!!!

Willy

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2021, 06:46:06 AM »
Hi Willy, I am following quietly, but with respect. An impressive job is going there.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2021, 11:24:30 AM »
Hi Willy, an impressive job of a complex fabrication.  You are certainly a master of creativity.

Is that ring only to stabilise the outer edges of the blades?  Or is it also a close clearance wear ring to separate the inlet and outlet parts of the turbine and minimise water bypassing the blades?

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2021, 01:23:45 AM »
Wow, very nice work Willy!

Dave

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2021, 03:20:09 AM »
Hi MJM and et al .. Yes the middle ring of the rotor is part of the sealing arrangement and the gate and flume chute are all in close proximity.. here is a pic of the turbine and a drawing of how the different parts all fit together...The gate is provided to stop the rotor from turning to allow maintenance to take place

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2021, 01:43:33 AM »
Hi All, here is a video of the turbine revolving in a piece of tube using a small blower... also a plan view pic of the components ...I have  not managed to get a published plan and am just going on the old woodcuts of the Victor turbine from an old Stilwel and Bierce catalogue  and also the removed parts here in Norwich.

Willy

Not a valid vimeo URL

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2021, 02:07:02 AM »
Quite a lot of progress, very interesting machine!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2021, 02:09:36 AM »
Hi All ..back in the WKSP. and managed at last to find a plan view of the turbine  flume gate and blades.,,so more work on the gate and this is a close fitting tube over the turbine top flumes ...it is built up using brass plate and some copper tube ...also using my centre finder to mark out the spokes for the top bearing part ..the adjustable blade part allows one to mark out the width of the spokes and then a line for marking out where thedtill centre are for removing the segments ..so .. getting to grips at last ..

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2021, 02:48:49 AM »
The parts are now ready to be silver soldered together and then i will have to do some maths to mill out the slots equally equidistant to enable the gate to work correctly...

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2021, 01:23:26 AM »
The next job is to attach the gear train to operate the water gate mechanism ..I have got some suitable gears and the gate 5 tooth get is quite deep so I will use a few pieces of the large one silver soldered together to get the correct depth .. the gate part also needs to be milled with slots to line up with the outside flume cover ....

Willy

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2021, 02:09:42 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing that all come together in a working mechanism. Bet you are too!
Regards,
Ron

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2021, 03:04:44 AM »
Impressive!  This project is quite different, very interesting machine!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2021, 07:00:46 PM »
Lovely work Willy very intuitive fabrication ………  :Love:

:cheers:
Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal