Author Topic: New Mills Pumping Station  (Read 56011 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: New Mills Pumping Station
« Reply #300 on: March 31, 2022, 01:48:45 AM »
So More work on the bearings  theta and bottom parts are drilled and reamed to take the 4 pins . they are drilled and threaded 10 BA . they topper is then suspended above the lower part and held in position with the threaded rod . the assembly is then silver soldered and then parted and cleaned up . the standard is then drilled to take the bearing and all is looking good ...I now have to make the other one with the extra part for the vertical  gear bearing that is at right angles to the horizontal crank shaft...

Willy

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #301 on: March 31, 2022, 03:19:16 AM »
Thats a wonderful result, very clever way to hold the upper and lower parts for soldering!   :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #302 on: March 31, 2022, 11:59:43 AM »
Thats a wonderful result, very clever way to hold the upper and lower parts for soldering!   :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Agreed - brilliant solution  :ThumbsUp:

Per

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #303 on: March 31, 2022, 02:53:19 PM »
I learn so many great fabrication techniques from these posts. Thanks Willy! :cheers:
Regards,
Ron

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #304 on: March 31, 2022, 05:22:45 PM »
Looks excellent and a technique to remember  :praise2:  :praise2:  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #305 on: April 01, 2022, 01:28:10 AM »
Hi Everybody, thanks for the comments and I usually just make the parts with only a few pics ..so I will add quite a few more to show all of the process/!!!  So ..I have started on the other standard  and used sawing, chain drilling and filing techniques. I had to saw a piece of the 3/32nd brass from a larger sheet and I have put a large piece of angle iron in the vice  at an angle and clamped the metal To it and used a 24 tooth saw.... putting the metal at an angle allows the brass to be sawn with  more teeth in contact with the thin sheet. I use an 1/8" drill when chain drilling so there is a lot more room to angle the junior hacksaw around the curve . I also like to save as much metal as possible to use in other projects. I have used a 10" bastard file as this gives a much rougher surface for the silver solder to penetrate. I also make the tabs different widths so the attached parts can only go in the correct orientation .. I made this quick jig to bring the rods for the bearings to the same length , they are pre drilled and tapped eo I can remove them once filed to length...I have also tapered the tabs slightly toaid the fitting of the flanges ...

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #306 on: April 02, 2022, 03:13:42 AM »
I have now attached the base plate and used some brass tapered pins , these are turned up on the small lathe and I have used a drill chuck as it has a hole all the way through . Also I like to use this chuck as I can open and close it with one hand using an extended chuck key. this means I can use the other hand to hold the turned rod .This is better than needing two hands to hold the two bars to open/close the larger chuck so the rod does not fall out into the swarf and get lost.?!! I have attached the base plate so I can rest the template on it to accurately file the part to the correct shape...the chucks are also colour coded as the chuck keys are different sizes

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #307 on: April 03, 2022, 01:19:00 AM »
I have installed one of the standards and this is how I saw the plate , it means the saw is kept horizontal so both hands move in a horizontal plane ...

Willy

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #308 on: April 03, 2022, 02:18:42 AM »
More great progress.   :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #309 on: April 11, 2022, 02:38:58 AM »
Hi all just had a weak week off ..managed to put my back out after asthmatic coughing bout !!  I have now been making the other standard and this will have the extra vertical bearing attached ..I have also made a new video with the first bering in place.I have yet to mill the keyways to join everything up and there is still the pump to make

Willy
Not a valid vimeo URL

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #310 on: April 11, 2022, 02:48:02 AM »
Sorry to hear about the coughing fit, but everything else is coming along great!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #311 on: April 11, 2022, 02:50:53 AM »
Oww!! You've been having a rough time of it lately. Glad you're feeling better now and getting more great work done!
Regards,
Ron

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #312 on: April 11, 2022, 02:59:01 AM »
Hope you feel better soon, the stands are looking great!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #313 on: April 11, 2022, 03:00:36 AM »
Hi Thanks  Ron & Chris

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #314 on: April 12, 2022, 01:07:34 PM »
Hi Willy, glad you are back on your feet. A sore back is never fun.

Interesting gear arrangement.  Normally I would have expected the turbine to be the higher speed machine which would be geared down to drive a much slower reciprocating compressor.  It would be interesting to know more about the operating speeds back when they were in operation.

The excellent work on the standards continues.  You haven’t lost your touch with those files.  Very ingenious fabrications.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal