Author Topic: New Mills Pumping Station  (Read 55462 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: New Mills Pumping Station
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2021, 01:15:40 AM »
More work with the turbine blade former... The smaller photo copied shapes have been cut out and stuck onto the  15 Gauge  brass plate ...ther are 31 pieces of brass needed for the full length and these were calculated at  .070"  The next job will be to file them out and fitted into the base plate ...... Also the previous 1/10 scale parts showing the fibreglass item attached to the shaped spindle ..with the inlet fixed outer part .so lots of work to do yet ...

Willy
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 02:55:09 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2021, 01:34:47 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2021, 11:35:27 AM »
Looks like you have nailed the former jig to perfection Willy  :ThumbsUp:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2021, 01:04:47 PM »
Hi Willy,
Once you have the forms all made, what will the blades be made of and how?
Chris

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2021, 05:53:04 PM »
It's sometthing to consider, but 3D printed parts have been used as press dies in forming metal parts.  Even in sheet steel, but I don't remember what gauge it was that he was using - 18GA maybe?

In the video he was attempting to form a replacement shoe for a reciprocating saw, and he got pretty good results with 3D printed dies.  He was using a resin printer, but I remember seeing videos by a machine shop that used a filament printer to print dies for limited production runs - runs of less than a thousand parts.

For number of blades that you need to make this it might be a good application.

Don

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2021, 11:27:45 PM »
Hi Chris,  I am thinking of using  "thin" copper annealed and then pressed into a deep box that surrounds the former. This will be experimented with and I will be using "bits" of rubber under a heavy steel block to push the copper down  ?!! however this will be something I have not done before !!!

Hi Don, Thanks and this would be possible and I will be making between 15 and twenty of these and I only have files and saws in my workshop so have not got the tools and expertise to do all this with modern technology !!  also this way I can still make the parts even if the electric goes down  :ThumbsUp:
 and could make spares in case of mishaps  cheers

Willy

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2021, 07:29:26 AM »
Hi
perhaps you may consider to cast these blades in zinc alloy or similar easy to melt metal, you would get lot of hand filing to do at the end too...

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2021, 01:11:10 AM »
Hi Z , yes that is an option ..however the blades need to be attached to the funnel part ..so I am thinking copper blade soldered to a brass funnel ??  so more work on the formers  19 on the way and 10 -11  more to go...quite hard work all this and it has rained today so April showers do exist after a month of almost zero precipitation !!   a few more pics of the pump station showing the air receivers and some of the pipework. Also the wooden teeth on the gear wheels ...

Willy
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 01:26:08 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2021, 01:29:23 AM »
Sorry got in a muddle with the internet ...!!

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2021, 02:28:26 AM »
The individual pieces are now cut out and filed to shape and all fitted together. some of them were not quite tall enough so I had to saw out slots and bend them out to bring them up to correct height. So all ready to solder together in place .....

Willy

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2021, 02:42:22 AM »
Careful, that project is threatening to turn you into a custom coachbuilder! Youl'll be showing us your English Wheel next.  :ThumbsUp:
Regards,
Ron

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2021, 02:44:29 AM »
Willy, is the turbine what powers the pump, or is the turbine the pumping end of things? I'm not clear about what does what...

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2021, 03:49:15 AM »
Hi Chris, yes the turbines drives the pumps with two sets to enable maintenance to be done , however there was steam engines also provided when the water level was too low.. at a later date electric motors were incorporated  and updated as time wore on . The fall of water was about 6'6"  and this was used from 1898 until 1972  so basically a lot of free power was used to operate the sewerage system , I will reply with lots more details later ...
Hi Ronald , thanks , yes the English wheel would be a good way to do this ..but there are about 20 of them !!!
Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2021, 02:53:15 AM »
So now the parts have been tinned and the whole lot "cooked" and soft soldered in place...so waiting for itto cool down and then file to finished shape and polished up ..

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2021, 02:57:58 AM »
Looks like something our school cafeteria served once...   :paranoia:

Interesting process, watching along.   :popcorn:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal