Author Topic: "Annie & Mary" locomotive  (Read 1050 times)

Offline RReid

• Northern California
"Annie & Mary" locomotive
« on: April 14, 2021, 05:59:13 PM »
This is one of my current projects. It is a 1:32 scale, 32mm gauge (what I call 32/32) representation of the Arcata & Mad River RR #5 Baldwin 2-4-0. According to Carranco and Sorenson's Steam in the Redwoods, this locomotive was built in 1888 and scrapped in 1941. The forerunner of the A#M is reputed to be the first railroad chartered in California. Even today the line, though abandoned, is affectionately referred to as the "Annie & Mary", after the two woman who ran the office in the early days.

The design is mostly my own, although I borrowed the cylinder and valve train geometry from LBSC's WWII era "Bat" design.

When I got my new milling machine last month I paused work on this to start on Elmer Verburg's "Grasshopper Beam Engine", mostly because I wanted an excuse to mill a bunch of stuff.
Regards,
Ron

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: "Annie & Mary" locomotive
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 08:57:45 PM »
That's a good great-looking chassis for your 2-4-0.  I'm not familiar with that line, though I'm not really a train aficionado, so I guess that's not surprising.   Looks like the two forward wheels are articulated separately with a pivot closer to the center of the chassis.  Is that's so it can make the tight radius on your track?  Or is that prototypical?

Kim

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 12:08:06 AM »
Thanks Kim.

A two wheeled lead truck like that was normally pivoted from somewhere behind the wheels. My pivot point was chosen mostly as a matter of convenience, as there is not a lot of other stuff in that spot. It does also correspond to the location calculated by using a method the engineers back in the day used, but that's just gravy in this case. What really matters for me is that the wheels be far enough forward of the cylinders that they don't contact going around that sharp curve. Happily it has passed that test.
Regards,
Ron

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 08:45:34 AM »
looking at the rolling frame of your loco, I suggest that a water pump should be installed, owing to the size of the cylinders, which will use a lot of steam...

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 03:41:17 PM »
looking at the rolling frame of your loco, I suggest that a water pump should be installed, owing to the size of the cylinders, which will use a lot of steam...

I appreciate your suggestion, Zephyrin, but I think the photo may give the impression that the cylinders are larger than they really are. The bore is only 3/8", actually a hair less than those of the other loco. That one runs out of fuel well before it runs out of water, though I do have the means to top off the boiler under pressure through a "Goodall" valve. I may put a manual water pump in this one's tender, but depending on the size of the fuel supply even that may not be strictly necessary.
Regards,
Ron

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal