Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
What is it?
« on: April 14, 2021, 03:19:44 AM »
Hi everyone,
We're cleaning my parents home in preparation for its sale. I found this tool in the garage.

It looks like some sort of punch, the knurled end has been pounded on. The sleeve had a 1/2 inch OD and 3/8 ID. The tube is 8 7/16 long and the punch when run all the way down is about .040 longer than the tube.

This is the only identification on it. When I look this up I find base board heating equipment. Anyone Have a clue?
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 03:49:12 AM »
That is a nail guide tool - sort of a hammer-powered power nailer. Look at page 10 here:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwixkZuM3PzvAhXuGFkFHdSQAiAQFjABegQIAxAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.slantfin.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F01%2FBaseboard-Installation-Instructions-103.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3fOryBf7WEGr-VYUTUpaQM
You put a nail in the open end of the tube, put that end inside the opening where the nail will go to hold the baseboard heater in position, and hit the other end with a hammer to drive in the nail.
Chris

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 03:30:07 PM »
Chris,
Thanks that makes sense, dad built the house and installed a boiler with baseboard heating.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Jim

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 12:37:46 AM »
Clever tool, never seen one before.
Kind regards,

Jim

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 02:57:39 AM »
Jim,
Yeah I'd never seen one before, though if I did see my dad use it I would have been about 3 years old.
Art

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal