Author Topic: Jason’s workshop  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Jason’s workshop
« on: April 07, 2021, 10:46:36 PM »
Our own Jasonb has an article showing his organized workshop on Model Engineers Workshop series. Very well organized shop Jason and a nice write up for reading I enjoyed it...

:cheers:
Don

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Jason’s workshop
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 07:10:13 AM »
Thanks Don, actually it's a bit of a rework of something that you may have missed previously. I don't usually like putting things in the mag that have been seen before but I waivered payment as budget for content is down due to Covid affecting casual sales from newsagents.

https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,9398.msg209852.html#msg209852

I've also got a new Engine series just started in Model Engineer, thread to accompany it here

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=170608

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 10:08:27 AM »
I agree Don - nice workshop set-up Jason, even if it did pee me off seeing how clean and tidy everything was compared to mine!

But it's a lesson and an example, I really must try to keep a tidy shed. 

Very well organised too Jason, must be a pleasure to work in there, knowing exactly where everything is and tools well laid out with space around.

Chris

Offline iRon

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 10:19:18 AM »
I resolve to try hard to follow Jason's example! Is it the secret of his productivity?

Rpn

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 04:02:29 PM »
that's a very nice shop; clean organized and everything within a few steps.

Offline kuhncw

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 09:27:12 PM »
Jason,  your shop is very well laid out.  Just what you need and not much in your way.  Thanks for the tour and thanks to Don for bringing this up.

Chuck

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 07:06:37 AM »
Thanks for the comments, it does not look like that at the end of a weekends use but I always like to have a tidy up at on the Sunday afternoon which gets it to the state you can see in the photos. I don't like having to try to clear a space on the bench to do something or find where I last left a tool.

Offline kuhncw

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 10:36:56 PM »
Jason,

There are several rectangular plates on the bench to the left of your Seig X3 mill.  Are they steel or some other material?

Chuck

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 01:15:49 AM »
I have several machinist friends and I’ve noticed that the ‘better’ machinists have near, clean, well ordered shops.

I’m not sure what that says about me because my shop can go from “neat and orderly” to a disaster area and then back again?
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 07:08:40 AM »
Chuck, if you mean these "plates" laid on the bench then from left to right we have a 300x600 porcelain floor tile under the engine which is good enough as my surface plate, a piece of MDF and then the old door from the cabinet below which was replaced by the 2 Bisley metal draw units. These just take the wear off the bench and have a bit of a better finish than the bench top and can be replaced if they get too mucked up.

Offline kuhncw

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 01:43:48 PM »
Thank you, Jason.  That explains it.

Chuck

Offline Jim

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 05:56:56 AM »
Just finished reading the article yesterday :)
Kind regards,

Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal