Author Topic: A DIY Budget Belt Grinder  (Read 3329 times)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
A DIY Budget Belt Grinder
« on: April 07, 2021, 07:25:16 PM »
I came across this YouTube video from House.of.Chop on building a fairly good 2"x48" belt grinder based on a 3/4 HP grinder.  They call it the Dakota Belt Grinder.  It looks pretty good to me, I'm considering building this.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNK6134MRL4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNK6134MRL4</a>

There's a guy who sells the basic plate set used for this.  He's asking $125 for the set of 5 plates, laser cut from 3/16" steel, and the price includes shipping.  I checked on the price of 3/16" steel and I don't think I could make those plates for less than the cost of his set.  It also requires a set of 4 roller wheels (they give you a link to purchase those) which cost about $100.  You have to supply your own square tube, angle iron, and various other HW. But it looks like a fun build and a pretty neat tool at the end.

This video is from the guy who sells the grinder plate kit.  His name is Ed and his video shows him upgrading the basic belt grinder for a bigger motor and making it a little sturdier.  Also an interesting watch.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x25QHXVxI2Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x25QHXVxI2Y</a>

So, I'm considering building this. Has anyone else done this? Anything I should consider before jumping into this one?  I'm sure many of you have done something similar.
Thanks,
Kim

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: A DIY Budget Belt Grinder
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 01:58:47 AM »
I like the idea of a grinder like that ....it's got the power to get something done!.....  my 1x42 really lacks the grunt to move a lot of metal....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 02:35:44 AM »
2”X48” is a nice size and capable of removing quite a bit of material with some horsepower behind it.
Looking forward to a build thread on the new machine.

I have a 2”X 48” Kalamazoo with a 1/3 HP motor that has served me well for many years.

Dave

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 05:18:55 AM »
Kim:

I built a belt sander years ago. I made it so I could run, I think, three different belt lengths all 2" wide. Also made it to mount on the wall. It works well but I haven't used more than one length belt. I looked around the Internet and picked some of, what I though, were the best DIY ideas.

I don't remember where I "borrowed" the table tilting from but I found it slick. Each hole is set for a different table tilt. Pretty handy for touching up HSS lathe tools. May or may not be worthwhile for your belt sander build. Here are two pics.

I think I have an overall *.dxf drawing to scale (you can view individual parts on layers). If you want a copy of that file let me know and I'll shoot you a copy.

But that does look like a nice unit, easy build. I think you should go for it.

Thanks.
Hugh

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 05:39:42 AM »
Thanks for the input Dave, Dave, and Hugh,

That variable setting tool rest looks like an interesting idea.  Wonder if I could incorporate that into this one?  I really like the simplicity of this - being able to just use a grinder for the power part.

Still considering options...

Kim

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 09:56:47 AM »
Looks good Kim.

Have clicked 'notify' to see how you get on.

gary

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 06:56:40 PM »
Thanks Gary,

Yeah, as Zee says, I've now gone down the rabbit hole!  I've now done enough research that I'm stuck!

I started looking at other plans available for a DIY belt grinder and I'm finding many possibilities.  Of course, it was the simplicity of this one (the Dakota DIY grinder) that caught my attention, but as I look at others, I'm seeing some that will rotate so they can be both vertical and horizontal - have more adjustability, etc.   And I start thinking about those and if I'm going to make a belt grinder, why not do a more capable one... But then I start thinking about how much more they'll cost, and how much bigger they'll be, and where do I put it in my cramped shop and I move back to the simple one.  Then I start thinking about how nice it would be to be able to do both horizontal AND vertical and I start leaning back the other way.

Now I've gotten myself all wrapped about the axle  - paralyzed by indecision.  So it'll take me some more thinking to decide what I want to do.

Here's  a couple of other plans I've been looking at:

I like this one because it has a big base, can rotate and doesn't necessarily need to be bolted down:
https://housemade.us/products/revolution-diy-2x72-belt-grinder-plans?variant=39409644011674&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2020-02-23&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgtWDBhDZARIsADEKwgPnyDLIwZ3XvY_0j1WRFCDzc_xK1-V03hshouvBYvDLlWGopUZZEysaAuX4EALw_wcB

This one is nice too - it rotates and has many other nice features:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/969297008/inch-plans-gen-2-tilting-belt-grinder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dxCAHU_xpY

And this one is very fancy and more of a machinists belt grinder (as opposed to a knife maker's belt grinder) - lots of machining done on this one, but it's very well done!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/823825577/belt-grinder-plans-and-blueprints
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaIVzdJ2V5w&list=RDCMUCchU2gYo5UunA6uh6JVOd9A&start_radio=1&t=2243

And there are so MANY more.  :insane:

But I'll keep thinking about it and come to a decision eventually. I've decided I want to build one, now I just have to pick what I REALLY want out of this - a super flexible high-powered belt grinder?  Or just a basic belt grinder to help sharpen my tools and round off the ends of conrods and such.  And how much space and money do I want to devote to it.

It seemed so easy when I first posted this!
Kim

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 10:39:30 PM »
Kim:

Simple is good. I suspect it's one of those tools you can have dozens of bells and whistles for. And you set it up one way and don't change it. So a lot of work for adaptations you hardly ever use. I'd suggest simple if you want a belt sander. If it's your next project, then the sky's the limit.

How about a simple belt sander and then a project to build a Quorn?

I feel you pain.

Thanks.
Hugh

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 10:41:22 PM »
A Quorn would raise the stakes somewhat...

:)

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2021, 12:00:38 PM »
there's a ton of DIY builds out there.  It's a super handy tool I'd like to have, but find myself torn between "simple, just get it done" and go for all the "bells and whistles".  Given making anything takes a ton of time, the later has more appeal....make something unique that outperforms what you could buy.  90 degree tilt, quick and easy belt changes, sold and smooth running would be all things I like of it.  I would probably go 2x72 as its a common belt size.  I'd also consider a purchased rubberized drive pulley, or maybe there is a good DIY way to achieve something similar, but no point in having lots of power if the belt slips

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2021, 04:29:49 PM »
Yes, Mcgyver, so many options!

I've narrowed down the things I want to:
1) Horizontal & vertical modes
2) Tilting table or platen
3) Longest platen I can get (probably about 12")
4) 72" seems best for availability and keeping the belt cool, but 48" would seem to make a more compact machine.

So, clearly, I haven't made up my mind yet.  But I will eventually!

Been moving my daughter this last week, so haven't done much else.

Kim
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 05:39:55 AM by Kim »

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2021, 03:18:52 AM »
30 seconds of the opening scene of that Video is all I could take . :-(
   ...lew...

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2021, 05:41:49 AM »
Why's that, Lew?  Is he a little too upbeat for you? :)  He does drive his video at a fast pace for sure.

Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal