Author Topic: Where do my videos go to?  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Where do my videos go to?
« on: April 05, 2021, 07:27:14 AM »
Following the discussions on forum responses I looked at my YouTube channel. Most are as expected with 10s of views but there are a few oddly popular ones. One is a short clip of turning a piece of bar using auto feed which has several hundred views. There is one of measuring the spindle nose runout on my Proxxon FD150 which also has several hundred. The strangest is one of drilling a 3mm hole with my Proxxon MF70 which I put on the ME website on Thursday and now has 593 views  :o  I guess all these are linked to some other site(s).
Best regards

Roger

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Where do my videos go to?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 08:03:07 AM »
Not linked to other sites but an indication of the amount of activity on that forum compared to here, as I mentioned in the feedback thread ME is the most visited of all the home workshop type forums at the moment. ME is rating at about 600,000 globally with 1 being the highest ranked website on the net, by comparison MEM is just short of 6,000,000 so one tenth the activity.  Similar differences in reputation and and engagement.

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 09:54:26 AM »
This one of my Stuart Sirius has had over 400 views!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NodvgFuCqw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NodvgFuCqw</a>
Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 10:03:43 AM »
Jason,

I'm not sure if it is an effect of the total traffic. All the other videos I have put on the ME website have had similar responses to on here, generally 10s of views at the most. Two weeks before the two I posted had a total of 20 views. The one of drilling a hole had 636 views in 5 days and none since  :headscratch:
Best regards

Roger

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 11:10:16 AM »
Hi Roger,

Your snappily titled "20201108 102359" turned up unbidden on my 'recommended' feed on Youtube yesterday.  My "Eureka" video has garnered 12k views - I can only assume that people are searching for a video on removing earwax or something similar  :-\  .Youtube's search algorithm must be an interesting thing.

Stay well,

Rod

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 11:34:37 AM »
ME is rating at about 600,000 globally with 1 being the highest ranked website on the net, by comparison MEM is just short of 6,000,000 so one tenth the activity.  Similar differences in reputation and and engagement.

I agree that the ME forum has a different reputation than MEM but that does not mean that it is a positive attribute.

The ME forum is not a focused model making forum and have moved wide of the mark of traditional area of Model Engineering so they can gather a wider audience and remain commercially viable.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 11:54:33 AM »
That is quite possibly due to it also being the forum for MEW where the emphasis is on Workshop so that covers anything that goes on in a home workshop as well as the machines in it not just model making, much like HSM. Though HMEM which is quite focused on Model engines too ranks a lot higher then MEM and only a little below HSM & ME

Even if you take out all the C**p from the tea room threads on ME and don't just look at total visits the other analytics such as engagement and reputation metrics it's still way above here. Engagement is based on Quality not Quantity. Though I would always like to see more models on ME.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 12:20:05 PM »
the other analytics such as engagement and reputation metrics it's still way above here.

You refer to commercial metric relating to brand, MEM is not a commercial business looking to market itself or its products. The comparison is irrelevant.

Edit: I found a reference to building commercial reputation on a business training site:

How to Use Discussion Forums to Build Your Reputation: Discussion forums have been around a long time – so long that they may be overlooked for their power in connecting and networking.  Effective use of discussion forums involves a few simple steps:

1. Pick relevant discussion forums.  These are places where your target customers are likely to visit and have a good reputation for a good size community and solid content.  Read over several threads to get a feel for the participants and decide on a few to start.

2. Demonstrate your expertise and commitment to solving customer problems by giving helpful responses.  Direct selling and overt product pitches are generally frowned upon (and often blocked by the moderator).  However, mention of how your product/service fixed the problem at hand is a great way to weave in your expertise.

3. Link back to additional information (articles, blog posts) on your website.  You’ll drive traffic to your own site

Deja vu?  :thinking:

Jo
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 12:38:58 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 12:59:40 PM »
As your quote says commercial stuff gets deleted by the Mods on ME unless buy an advertiser and of the few of those that are active they get plenty of positive posts from members anyway and only one (CuP) is pushy, the other (ARC) has pointed quite a few people elsewhere rather than towards their own products.

Well I may as well give up linking back to this site as I mentioned in the feed back thread as it does not seemed to have worked  :Lol:

The one thing with Video that I am not keen on are people who just post videos that they make on a regiular basis and hardly participate in the rest of the forum(s), probably just trying to get their views and subscriber numbers up to earn a bit more from their videos. If I had my way I would delete more on ME but as you say it gets the numbers up and that is one way to attract advertising.

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 06:55:44 PM »
I also notice that my videos have unexpected number of views, not totally unpredictable, as it it seems that my 2 stroke engines are viewed about 10 time more than each of my 4 stroke or steam models...
the reasons actually are not clear for me...and disappointing as I clearly would have preferred the opposite!!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 07:39:52 PM »
'probably just trying to get their views and subscriber numbers up to earn a bit more from their videos'

How do you earn money from your videos? Am I missing something here being an ancient Luddite  :headscratch:  :old:
Best regards

Roger

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 08:07:35 PM »
Once you reach a certain level of hours viewed and number of subscribers you can "monetise" your channel and get paid depending on number of veiws, they start putting adverts into your video and that is how they generate money to pay you.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal