Author Topic: Model Engine Mechanics - by Gordon Cornell - RIP  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Model Engine Mechanics - by Gordon Cornell - RIP
« on: April 01, 2021, 11:59:40 AM »
I have just opened the latest https://www.adriansmodelaeroengines.com/catalog/
and read the sad news that one of Britain's big pioneers Gordon Cornell has passed away  :(

The next thing I read is that he published his latest version of his book Model Engine Mechanics online for free, and you can find the links here - first up is the Word document + Cover picture and just below the links for the pdf version, that most probably will prefer to download :
http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11848

Best wishes

Per

Offline Chipmaster

Re: Model Engine Mechanics - by Gordon Cornell - RIP
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 01:28:49 PM »
Thanks for posting that information Per.

I remember watching him demonstrating cnc machining at model engineering exhibitions perhaps 20 years ago. As I used to own several ED and Frog diesel engines it was interesting to learn about his involvement in the development of paricular engines. I bought the 1st publication 2005 of his Model Engine Mechanics book which I found both interesting and informative.

Andy

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 02:44:33 PM »
I have just skimmed through the book and I can see myself having a very good time reading it later - but I'm a nerd when it comes to technical details + I would like to do some constructions of useful Aero Model Engines - so plenty to consume here too  :cheers:

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 05:21:20 PM »
Hi Per, I have had this 'book' for some time now and thought I had posted that link before - perhaps my memory's playing tricks. Whatever, it's well worth repeating and certainly worth downloading for anyone with interest in diesel engines.

I printed it all off and had it spiral bound - an excellent reference work in a limited information arena.

I did intend to produce one of his 1.49s as a 5 cc but like a few others it has never materialised  ::).

Hope it gives you that 'inspiration'

Tug

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 08:39:14 PM »
Thanks for those links Per. I will enjoy reading the PDF's. It was a great service by Gordon to allow the book to be shared, thanks to him as well.
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal