Author Topic: Belting options for running Steam Engine Accessories  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Jim

Belting options for running Steam Engine Accessories
« on: April 01, 2021, 06:08:36 AM »
Belting options for running Steam Engine Accessories -

[youtube1]https://youtu.be/lBwAgSLMTYU[/youtube1]
Kind regards,

Jim

Offline AOG

Re: Belting options for running Steam Engine Accessories
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 12:57:34 PM »
I’ve tried to use gasket material like your suggesting but I always end up with the join being just slightly fatter then the rest of the belt. You can’t really feel it but it makes an annoying thud as it passes over the pulleys. It bothers me enough that I have switched to (expensive) large diameter o rings. Do you experience this?

Tony

Offline Jim

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 12:32:49 AM »
I’ve tried to use gasket material like your suggesting but I always end up with the join being just slightly fatter then the rest of the belt. You can’t really feel it but it makes an annoying thud as it passes over the pulleys. It bothers me enough that I have switched to (expensive) large diameter o rings. Do you experience this?

Tony

G'day Tony, no I haven't with this O ring cord (its called cord I learnt because its sold by the metre) but I know exactly what you mean. Joining the green belting with a flame you get that bump, bump, bump lump if you don't use sharp nail clippers to remove the protruding lump.

With this O ring cord use super sharp scissors and just use a skerrick of super glue and don't push the ends together very much so that they don't squeeze out and form a lump. Let the glue do all the work.
Kind regards,

Jim

Offline AOG

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 12:34:37 AM »
Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

Tony

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 08:37:09 AM »

Hi Jim.
Back in the 60's in my Army Engineer days I used a joining kit which utilised a long plastic vee block with a cross cut slot for the knife. The material was anointed with superglue and held in the groove until set.  I don't remember any lumps!
John
Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline Jim

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 11:01:22 PM »

Hi Jim.
Back in the 60's in my Army Engineer days I used a joining kit which utilised a long plastic vee block with a cross cut slot for the knife. The material was anointed with superglue and held in the groove until set.  I don't remember any lumps!
John

Sounds like a good setup John, I don't get any lumps either. You need the smallest amount of super glue.
Kind regards,

Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal