Supporting > Engine Ancillaries

Belting options for running Steam Engine Accessories

(1/2) > >>

Jim:
Belting options for running Steam Engine Accessories -

[youtube1]https://youtu.be/lBwAgSLMTYU[/youtube1]

AOG:
I’ve tried to use gasket material like your suggesting but I always end up with the join being just slightly fatter then the rest of the belt. You can’t really feel it but it makes an annoying thud as it passes over the pulleys. It bothers me enough that I have switched to (expensive) large diameter o rings. Do you experience this?

Tony

Jim:

--- Quote from: AOG on April 01, 2021, 12:57:34 PM ---I’ve tried to use gasket material like your suggesting but I always end up with the join being just slightly fatter then the rest of the belt. You can’t really feel it but it makes an annoying thud as it passes over the pulleys. It bothers me enough that I have switched to (expensive) large diameter o rings. Do you experience this?

Tony

--- End quote ---

G'day Tony, no I haven't with this O ring cord (its called cord I learnt because its sold by the metre) but I know exactly what you mean. Joining the green belting with a flame you get that bump, bump, bump lump if you don't use sharp nail clippers to remove the protruding lump.

With this O ring cord use super sharp scissors and just use a skerrick of super glue and don't push the ends together very much so that they don't squeeze out and form a lump. Let the glue do all the work.

AOG:
Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

Tony

simplyloco:

--- Quote from: Jim on April 01, 2021, 06:08:36 AM ---Belting options for running Steam Engine Accessories -

--- End quote ---

Hi Jim.
Back in the 60's in my Army Engineer days I used a joining kit which utilised a long plastic vee block with a cross cut slot for the knife. The material was anointed with superglue and held in the groove until set.  I don't remember any lumps!
John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version