Author Topic: Coppermine Photo Hosting  (Read 1725 times)

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
Coppermine Photo Hosting
« on: March 30, 2021, 07:39:00 PM »
Hi

Does anyone know how to upload multiple photos to Coppermine, it has never worked for me due to problems with Flash Player, it takes ages to load photo's one at a time.

Thanks
Phil

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Coppermine Photo Hosting
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 08:01:35 PM »
I'm not sure that there is a solution unless it can be fixed, I always end up doing them one at a time. It is a pain, but I do appreciate the photo storage at no cost to us. And I'm guessing that they (the photos) will be available as long as the forum is around.
It sure would be nice if it could be made to work again though.

Dave

Online Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 02:46:43 AM »
I used coppermine to move all my photos from my Val build when photobucket upset the apple cart. Since then I discovered Postimage. I hated the extra step of reducing the photos size to one admissible to coppermine. So as soon as I found a way to avoid that hassle I stopped using it. I don't know that they will continue third party hosting but to me it's worth not doing the extra step.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 05:45:46 AM »
Yeah, you used to be able to upload multiple images to Coppermine at once, but as of December 2020, that feature is now gone.  As Dave said, it depended on Flash, and that's gone forever now.

I'm getting faster at uploading them one at a time :)  But it sure takes a lot more clicks!

Maybe Ave can comment eventually on whether this will ever be fixed or not.  I don't know if anyone in the Coppermine community is working on fixing this or not.  If they do, I'm sure Ave will adopt it.  I'm hoping it will get fixed sometime in the not-to-distant future!

Kim

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 04:07:28 PM »
... I hated the extra step of reducing the photos size to one admissible to coppermine. So as soon as I found a way to avoid that hassle I stopped using it. ...

Re: resizing photos for uploading to the web

Get a free bulk resizing tool like this one:

https://www.naturpic.com/resizer/

and install it.  Set up two folders, e.g. PICS and PICLETS

Set the resizing program defaults so it always looks in PICS for input photos and uses PICLETS as its destination folder for resized photos.  Set the default resizing details to something acceptable for most fora; 800 x 600 pixel jpegs are what I use.

After copying all the photos to be processed into PICS, running the program is largely a matter of hitting NEXT buttons to select the defaults.  When done, all your reduced size photos are in PICLETS with the same names they had in PICS.  It's then just a matter of uploading the photos from PICLETS into the forum or online storage.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2023, 12:54:55 PM »
Hello Jo and Ade

Is there a new problem with Coppermine? Today I cannot access the site from either of my PC's. It give all sorts of security certificate authentication error messages.

Interestingly, I can still see (and copy) my hosted images in existing posts, but cannot access the site directly

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2023, 01:40:25 PM »
I've just got in.

Edit: The pictures are not showing on the forum :headscratch:

Edit 2: There seems to be a problem with the address for the jpegs. There is two addresses for the Lister forum. One starts "lister-engine.com" the other "listerengine.com". The second one doesn't show. This is normally caused because someone has not paid their annual domain name fee  ::)

Jo
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 02:17:24 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2023, 02:18:48 PM »
Mikes images are showing OK for me in the mag thread and they are on coppermine

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2023, 02:24:28 PM »
Yes Mike is using the former address, If you copy the jpeg address directly off of the coppermine site it will give you the second domain address which as I just discovered on my Table engine thread doesn't work  :Doh:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2023, 07:34:22 PM »
Following Jo's suggestion; I changed the 'listerengine.com/coppermine/' address in my favourited list to  'lister-engine.com/coppermine/'. Miraculously, I can now access my coppermine files again.

Don't ask me why this happens and why the address should have changed overnight. I just don't know or understand, but it now works.
  :hammerbash: :killcomputer:

Mike

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2023, 08:11:56 PM »
Apologies folks - the cause of the issue is that coppermine (and, indeed the Lister Engine Forum, who's address it uses) are available on two addresses - one is the "official" address, the second is one I bought after years of unreliability on the original address... My address (with the hypen) is working fine, but the guy who looks after the official address has forgotten to renew it...

Hence, the difficulties.

However - two problems with Coppermine: One; it's terrible (I hate it). Two; I can't even remember my own password for it, so right now I can't get in to do anything!! I can fix that, probably, but haven't got a Round Tuit yet.

I have, intermittently, been looking for replacements for it. There is one open source project that looks like it might be an option (Pixelfed), but as yet I haven't gotten around to the hard tacks of actually installing it, setting up the permissions yada yada. Also, it's not QUITE what we're looking for (e.g. sharing images on a forum is a bit tedious, even compared to the faff that is Coppermine... So... maybe I need to actually write one myself. An interesting challenge, but a bit of a time eater, hence not doing anything on that front yet.

Anyway - please bear with us - the listerengine domain should come back in the next day or so. And in the meantime, I'll bump looking for a coppermine alternative a little higher up the Christmas wish list!
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2023, 09:11:02 PM »
Thank you Ade. :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

So we all add a hyphen to the "lister-engine" address we will be OK for now

Mike

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2023, 06:22:29 PM »
Update: The "real" listerengine.com domain has now been restored to working order; so any Coppermine links using the original URL should now be working again.

Also, some news; I have, found a computer where my coppermine password was saved  :Jester: So now I can in fact access it again. However, I had a look on their homepage with a view to updating it - but it looks like active development ceased several years ago....

...so... I have now started to actively work on a BRAND NEW home-grown gallery system, which will at least somewhat integrate with the forum software (single sign-on!). However, my PHP is lousy (and I hate it), and since the forum software is PHP, I doubt I'll be able to write a true "plug-in"... If any of you out there are PHP gurus who fancy collaborating on integrating the gallery s/w into the SMF post editor, then please drop me a PM.  I can handle the gallery software (which will be written in React/Typescript & Golang); and I can do the Single-Sign-On (i.e. log into the forum, click a link out to the gallery, and you don't need to log in again). Also, every member of the forum will automatically get a free & unrestricted photo hosting solution, and - unlike photoshop - I don't mind if you use the gallery to display your photos on other sites...

However.... bear in mind, it's going to take a little while before this happens... a) the software isn't trivial to write, and b) development has to fit into my already crowded spare time. So in the meantime... sorry, Coppermine it is...
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2023, 07:42:42 PM »
Hello Ade

Thanks for fixing the Coppermine links.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

You know, I have got rather used to Coppermine, warts and all. If you do write a new gallery browser, I hope they can run side by side for a while, so we wont immediately have to learn the new system. It would be nice for the user to have the choice.

Mike

Online Twizseven

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2023, 07:54:45 PM »
AdeV,
On topic of forgetting/losing password is it possible you could reset mine.  I tried to get on about 12 months ago and system would not accept what should have been my password.  I did message you but did not hear back.
Thanks
Colin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal