Author Topic: Lack of response to posts  (Read 11043 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Lack of response to posts
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2021, 07:37:47 PM »
As my post seems to have provoked outrage in a recent post I should like to clarify my intent. It was not an appeal to impose literary exactitude nor some cleansed political correctness on posts. I wanted, merely, to suggest a little care with vocabulary and politeness, sensitivity if you wish, can be helpful in making people feel at ease.
No-one demands a highly cultured articulation of their work, but the same approach to language and the transmission of ideas that applies to ones engineering is not out of place, even amongst "...a bunch of folks, for the most part', don't know the difference between 'lose' and 'loose'." A somewhat judgemental and probably inaccurate assessment of the membership of the forum.
I wholeheartedly agree that Crueby's build threads are very well produced and presented, however I would urge tolerance towards less highly skilled producers of content, this forum is not a precinct exclusively for the highly skilled and knowledgeable. Regards, Paul Gough.
Well put. I have learned tons on this forum (and others, more here though), and am still learning from most builds whether I comment on them or not. For myself, I don't know a lot of the finer details of an IC engine, so I probably miss a lot of that, but from the threads I'm learning more, may attempt one someday. Even on the ones I dont understand, there are setups and methods that apply to what I am trying to do, so I learn from that part of it. Sometimes I'll chime in with a question about how something on an IC engine works, and have just about always gotten a great answer.  I know there are others that dont have as deep a grasp on steam, or sterling, whatever, and are in the same position as I am.  Bottom line, keep the builds, questions, comments, likes, dislikes, elf jokes, and small rocks coming! (that last was to see if you are still reading that far into a rambling paragraph).

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2021, 07:42:16 PM »
Although I have said I prefer a thread with the pictures placed with the text I would still rather see people posting a build thread or any other thread/post in whatever way they can than not post one at all for fear that they are not doing it "with care"

Same goes for those that may have difficulty with spelling and grammar, lets not put people off of posting if they think they are not up to other's standards. Maybe a good time to revisit this post of John Bogs from the very early days of when the forum was started

https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,451.0.html

Well said, and John's too :ThumbsUp:

Dave

Offline Trevorc

« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2021, 08:19:03 PM »
I think there is a dimension to this topic that hasn't yet been touched upon, that is the characteristics of a typical male. I guess that the majority of contributors to this forum are men. In general i think that some/many/ most men are somewhat reticent to heap praise onto another male or comment on  what they are doing. In the model engineering fraternity I think this characteristic is more pronounced. For example, at  my ME Club meetings ( pre covid) if a new member showed up one evening there was a good chance that nobody would speak to him or her, this could go on for several meetings before the “ ice was broken”. Silly but true. Some would say this is “ British reserve” others might dismiss it as rudeness or ignorance but some would say “ it is a male thing”.
 Much of our workshop time is spent alone so perhaps this tends to reinforce the reluctance to stretch out to others. This reluctance may also have been heightened by the enforced covid isolation we have all had to endure over the past year or so.
As for myself, i do not read every post, only those with a title relating to my area of interest. I rarely comment on those that I read because to me it is silly to just say “ well done”  or similar.
Similarly, I rarely post messages relating to what i am doing perhaps thinking that “ it isn't earth shattering so nobody will be interested”. Perhaps I have been wrong on both accounts!!
However, I have asked plenty of questions and received very sound advice for which I am very grateful. I am quite impressed with the power of the  forum when someone from a far off place helps solve my problem.
Finally, being a bit long in the tooth I do find the process of uploading photographs a bit of a mystery and somewhat long winded.
Lets us all try to keep this forum alive and active.
Regards
Trevor

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2021, 08:35:51 PM »
Once we start talking about the ability with the English language we need to note that there are quite a few on here who do not have English as their native language. I am English but live my life in German/Swiss German and struggle sometimes to get back to my native tongue.
Best regards

Roger

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2021, 08:44:44 PM »
I don't really care about peoples inability with spelling, or that we have people who's native language is not English. Anyone who joins in with some enthusiasm and makes an effort should just get some good interaction. People do need to have more tolerance in that regard.

Lurkers I don't care about. What info I post is freely given, lurkers / casual observers are welcome, but the people I am interested in are people who make an effort to join in. It sometimes SEEMS like the most able of our forum tend to only interact on each others threads. But this is just as likely my own insecurity. It's something for everyone to keep in mind perhaps - it's one thing to openly welcome new members, but when the new members post their builds, they need feedback then as well, lest we become the clique referenced by Trevorc.

And for sure I'm no different to anyone else - I have limited time, and definitely have my favourite posters and thread types I look at and comment on.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 04:36:00 PM by propforward »
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2021, 11:50:18 PM »
What a great thread! Really shows the character of the members here and why we're here.
Thank you Ray!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2021, 01:20:17 AM »
Thanks Jason for reminding us of John Moore 'Bogstandard'.........

It would take a page to highlight just his communication skills .....let alone the other skills displayed by John over many different Forums

Forum Owners or Administrators could make it compulsary to read a few of Mr Moores machining ar build threads, then answer a quiz to see if they were suitable for yearly Membership renewal  :stickpoke:

Example questions could be ....

1. What was the Brand name of his Engineering Drawing paper.........[back of a fag packet?]
2. What was the name of Johns second Dog?..........[Bandit was one......I would fail the test]
3. How did John describe 'certain' persons with Higher Engineering Degrees?.............[I cannot print these  :Doh: words]
4. How many of every item did John produce?.....................[was it not 2 x everything?]
5. How would you describe his ..humility?, sarcasm?, wit?...........[10/10 for each would be the appropriate answer]

I think we as members could learn an unquantifiable bucket full of somethings, by re-reading  :happyreader: a few postings from Johns threads which also includes his thoughts on the future of Forums

Derek
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 01:24:09 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2021, 06:44:29 AM »
Zee,
I think you made a comment about being a midwesterner  living in the east, and the language difference. To give an example. I, from the midwest was in Philly. As some guy walked past me dropped a hat or glove. Trying to get his attention  I say hey, HEY, no reaction.then I remembered,  Yo, he immediately turned around.
I realized listening to this conversation that when I build I tend to know how I'll do the operation & post afterwards. Don't ask around unless I've run into problems. That may not be helpful but I have the expectation people will ask questions if need be.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2021, 05:21:32 PM »
Erm.  As an owner of a sheepskin (somewhere in the pile of stuff in my office or at home) that says I'm a Master's degree Aeronautics/Astronautics Engineer...I agree pretty wholeheartedly that I lurk on this forum to learn about machining and real world engineering.  The line boring jig for a V8 engine is a pretty nifty idea I may borrow someday*.  Other rigs and setups posted here I have wholeheartedly stolen for use in making fixtures and prototypes for my real world job.  Some of my best ideas came from the technicians and assemblers on the shop floor, and I've always done my best to make sure higher-ups knew where the idea originated.  And yes, as I posted previously, I need to do my best to communicate that appreciation and acknowledgement to the posters here whenever I see something new - my degree (as my mentor told me) does not mean I've been taught everything - it means I've been taught how to learn.  So, thanks everybody here for being my mentors in the field of machining, you've taught me a lot, and I'll try and be better at the communication thingy.

*note to self: go back and post an attaboy on that thread...

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2021, 11:25:30 PM »
bent......the wording used here referencing holders of higher Engineering Degrees, was only intended for the very few that needed to remind again and again, of such in their postings when being completely 'off the rails' in a basic engineering machining concept

Is that a genuine Australian Sheepskin in your study?

Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2021, 01:22:05 AM »
Derek, et al:

I've thought a couple of days whether to respond to this post or not. I've finally decided I must, or I'm  just in a weird mood today. (always gets me in trouble.)

I do like Bogstandard's threads and wish I had the time to search out old threads. But alas, there are too many threads out there (and I'm a slow reader). I also realize these bullets are taken out of context. But can 3 and 5 really be compatible?

There are many on this forum I learn a great deal from, and could learn a lot more by reviewing past threads. I've learned far more machining from those without "advanced degrees". My upmost respect to them, thank you. I've also known some brilliant engineers with advanced degrees. Just saying.

Thanks. Stay safe.

Hugh D. Currin, PhD, PEretired
Mechanical Engineer
Many times "off the rails"

Thanks Jason for reminding us of John Moore 'Bogstandard'.........

3. How did John describe 'certain' persons with Higher Engineering Degrees?.............[I cannot print these  :Doh: words]
5. How would you describe his ..humility?...........[10/10 for each would be the appropriate answer]
Hugh

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2021, 09:51:10 AM »
.. and refer to only male and female hose fittings.

OUTRAGEOUS!

Please get with the programme. Hose fittings of gender must never be stereotyped by their physical shape. This deeply traumatises a hose fitting, which is clearly the reason why so many of them leak...

AS (MSc CEng MIET)
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2021, 04:01:14 PM »
...................then answer a quiz to see if they were suitable for yearly Membership renewal  :stickpoke:

That's a fail for me then. I never had anything to do with subject person on this forum. But on another forum he was down right insulting (to the extent that he had posts deleted) and was unwilling, or unable, to assimilate different viewpoints. Darned if I was going to genuflect, so he was put on my ignore list. Obviously that's a minority view, but means that I'm now questioning my forum membership.

Andrew

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2021, 04:18:00 PM »
"Is that a genuine Australian Sheepskin in your study?"

Guffaw.  I wish, pretty sure it's just middling-decent heavy weight paper.  Haven't seen a real sheepskin since my Dad wore a riding coat of sheepskin (that was quite likely Australian in origin, though it could have come from the Pendleton, Oregon area).  The sheepskin horse saddle pad he used came from my sister's sheep that she raised for her 4H program, which I tanned for him after we butchered it.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2021, 04:19:10 PM »
He was also effectively thrown off of here and ME, hope that won't happen to you Andrew.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal