Author Topic: Lack of response to posts  (Read 11041 times)

Offline Dreeves

Re: Lack of response to posts
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2021, 04:47:41 PM »
I have not posted any questions or builds because of this same issue. I still come to see the other builds and still love watching.

Dave
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 06:30:48 PM by Dreeves »

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2021, 05:24:47 PM »
Just adding to the discussion here:

I like this forum a lot and I like the text/photos/short-videos format. I read most new posts within a couple of days of them going up.

I would hate to see this Forum go away.

I do not participate in social media like Facebook and Twitter and the others because I don't feel like sharing all of my life with a lot of people who talk about a whole lot of things.

I became less interested in posting here and elsewhere after the Photobucket disaster and did not want to go down the path of 3rd-party  hosting with another place that might try the same thing.

I also had my life taken over by two deaths and more additional health events  in my family and shop time dropped to only a few hours a week.

I am trying to get back into the shop and definitely plan on posting in the future.

I would like to thank and congratulate all those who do post whatever they post, as long as it concerns the subjects that have to do with machining, model engines, boats, and trains; and the history of all of that. I will continue to watch, even if I don't respond to every new thing that shows up.

I would suggest that any political or similar comments are not appropriate here. The same goes for personal attacks against other posters.

I think it is possible that "responsiveness" and the desire to post new material comes and goes over time, but there are still viewers for whatever is made available.

There were a lot of "good practice" suggestions for writing posts in the pages before this, and I think adopting some of those can help authors and posters improve their feeling about the work of writing.

Thank You for Listening,

ShopShoe

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2021, 09:07:22 PM »
Quite often I don't post comments because as a rookie I don't have anything intelligent to say other than 'wow', or a version thereof, and I don't want to be boring.

Maybe one day I'll be able to be of more use to others on the forum...

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2021, 09:16:48 PM »
I’ve been on this forum for quite a few years now and I’ve noticed there is a certain pattern to the ebb and flow of comments here. Give it some time. Fall and winter seems to be our peak periods for both builds and comments. Right now you’re competing with spring and the beginning of outdoor activities. The other thing I’ve noticed is that when we have a large amount of “advanced” builds like we do now there are less comments. In some ways I think the skill level on display right now can be quite intimidating to some and that impacts the number of comments.

Tony

Yes, I agree with Tony here. I haven't been on this forum long enough to really know but I suspect here is something of an ebb and flow to these things. And his post about advanced builds is echoed in my previous post above.

For my part, I have noticed quite a variation in the number of replies I get, but it doesn't bother me really - I realise that people have busy lives. And if nothing else, a thread without many comments can still function as a personal build log. I do of course value the comments I receive though!

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2021, 09:41:11 PM »
The other way to get some positive feedback to those making the effort to post photo essays is to enable the "like" function.  It lets posters know that its appreciated.  Quick and easy for readers and for some threads it might a a better solution than 30 "awesome" posts. 

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2021, 09:57:34 PM »
Does SMF support a 'like' function?  I've been a part of several forums that use SMF and haven't seen a 'like' feature, but that doesn't mean it isn't there :)  I know there are various settings that the forum admin can enable.  Is enabling a "Like" feature one of them?

Kim

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2021, 10:06:03 PM »
Kim

Way back in the HEM days....We had a "like" button...though as I remember, it wasn't called a like, but something else........but it was a "like"

I suspect there is something....as most social media outlets have one.

I'm looking at the posts, and taking it in.   Part of me shakes my head, and some of it i've been guilty of myself.   All I know is that I would like to see this group of friends stay together. 

Maybe that's the pre-requisite.

Dave 
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2021, 10:40:51 PM »
Just to express my interest in the comments on this present subject, and to say what interest and pleasure I have continued to have from this excellent and almost always friendly and helpful forum.
 The last year plus has seen me necessarily out of the workshop,very time consuming family concerns, and such a difficult year as we all know: but picking out items from the recent unseen posts and occasionally having a comment to make has kept me onboard with my hobby , though swarf has not materialised.
  The several build logs and features, on my  steam engines and workshop matters, that I have done a while back, seem to still attract extra readers. So although the comments have mostly been over and done with back at the time, these features by very many contributers do build into a massively useful reference file on most aspects of model engineering, which can happily be poked around in with a spare hour.  Yes, it would be nice to have a fresh comment on a several years old topic, but unless there is a query, it probably won't happen!   So thank you to the moderators and other movers and shakers of MEM who have created something of , I think, real value, and companionship too.  Dave

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2021, 03:39:11 AM »
Hi All, I have now nearly finished my latest engine .sort of....but with lockdown I am not able to get a brass plate to attach To it.?? Also I cannot get out to visit places with interesting engines that I would like to model ...also it is ring and there is lots to do in the Allotment...also I have been persuaded to become the editor of the Norfolk Organic Magazine and I am struggling with trying to do this without being able to speak to people face to face.  All this is contributing to my activities and lack of them  on this site although I do read most of the posts usually at 3 am in the morning just before I go to bed . sometimes I respond , but usually I have nothing extra to add to the comments already posted ?!! It would be good to have a thumbs up like button to just press instantly..?? so .there is still lots of interesting builds happening here which is good  and am taking this opportunity to tidy up the WKSP and all the other spring cleaning chores that require my attention !! Also all this covid stuff is getting really tedious for me as well as lots of other people...

So ....soon things will get back to normal one day ..................... :) :) :)

Willy

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2021, 04:33:15 AM »
Some excellent comments have already been stated and I fit the mold in many of them. I read each and every post and follow several of them until the end. I have revisited several of the older threads in an attempt to jumpstart what I felt was an interesting build that may have stalled. I do not comment nearly as often as I have in the past but it not from lack of interest, it has more to do with what my life is dealing me at present. Most certainly this forum is a common ground that many of us enjoy and that many a newcomer can come to in the hopes of finding answers to their questions without being made out to be daft or worse. There is no such thing as a stupid question applies here. I am going back into my cave now,  :DrinkPint:

BC1
Jim

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2021, 10:57:37 AM »
This forum (or rather its precursor) got me into machining. I've made many friends here.
I'm not a member on any other forum although my searches often takes me to them.
I've found this forum to be the friendliest and most helpful. So many members are willing to take their time to answer any question.

I do find it hard to post comments. I usually don't know enough to provide much help myself and just posting 'awesome' just doesn't seem to do enough justice to the quality of work I see here.
And, I'm bothered a bit by posting just silly jokes or snide comments (although I've always welcomed them).

If I recall correctly, a 'like' button has led to competition which is something I don't think we want.
On the other hand, the number of 'reads' doesn't really mean someone read a post. Just clicking through can tick the number. No?
A 'like' button at least means someone took the time to read and appreciate a post.
This forum (rather, its members) don't seem the type to get into a 'like' competition.
Perhaps it can be tried. It can be removed if it becomes a problem.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2021, 01:17:38 PM »
To Zee,

You have voiced another thought of mine through your comment about the "Like". I was seeing that feature on other forums as an attempt to mimic social media and had the thought that competition for number of them might not be good, and definitely might not be constructive. BUT--But I am rethinking my position regarding that feature based on some of the posts above and may try to start "liking" things I like, when I want to encourage someone and don't have time to write a post.

Now, I also just noticed your sig lines again and notice the third one: "Thread Trasher". I don't think you are that and I make a point to read your posts because I think you have some very good things to say and seem to write well-thought-out posts.

Thank You for your posts,

ShopShoe

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2021, 06:18:39 PM »
As usual, late to the game.  Sorry not to have participated as much on the forum as in the past, but I do at least find time to read about half of what shows up in the "unread posts" list every other day or so.  I have 3 or 4 projects languishing at home...

You would think (well, I at least thought) that in the lockdown I would have had more time to work on those projects...but being involved in manufacturing, and ourc company having a product that is used in hospitals and government institutions including the disease research centers, we got quite busy last year....and my R+D time went up, even to the point that I was taking work home to mill on my DRO equipped mini mill...so my need to machine was more than satisfied by work.

But I do intend to finish up a couple of threads I started, and will probably always be checking in on stuff that interests me.  I will try and do a better job of lurking, and toss in the occasional encouragement too.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2021, 06:32:06 PM »
For my part, I don't always need an "attaboy". I am genuinely interested in feedback. If someone chimes in with "an alternative is to do this.........." that is exceedingly well received by me. Not perceived as criticism.

But I also understand that it takes time to provide that feedback, and we're all short on that.

Anyway, always pleased to have people look in at what I'm doing. I went back and looked at my own build log and it's perhaps not as sparsely commented on as I have myself believe sometimes.

This is a nice forum - generally no drama, genuine interest provided from the membership and so on. I guess the lack of drama equates to smaller amounts of viewing traffic and responses, so it's all pros and cons, like everything else.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2021, 11:55:22 PM »
Well..... my deal is I build internal combustion. Other than simple wobbles i have never built a steam engine. Dont really understand exactly how they work ie steam boxes or reversing gear. So when I look at a post I mostly look at the photos and if I can't make out what's going on in the photo I read the text. I really dont have anything to offer as I cant spot things that would hinder a well running engine. Ic engines I can spot things like the fuel tank being mounted too high. With other types of engines like steam or sterling I simply dont have anything helpful to say so I typically don't say anything.

I'm the guy who waits for someone to ask questions and if I can I will try to offer some help. If questions dont get asked I take that as "hes got this" and I enjoy the post and move on.

I myself have done a few threads so I know what is involved in doing all the extra work. Those threads really didn't help anyone at the time. But over the years I would bet many of guys who have built my V8 have gone back to that thread specifically to look at a piece and "see how he did it". I'm guessing your thread will be no different. Over the years people building that engine will read that thread over and over trying to pick up tips and tricks. Somewhere in this world there is someone who doesn't even know yet that this will be his hobby but when he finds out years from now, your build thread will be like finding treasure.

Your leaving a valuable gift.

$0.02
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal