Author Topic: Lack of response to posts  (Read 11040 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Lack of response to posts
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2021, 09:40:47 PM »
I don't even bother to look under each sub forum, if its not it in the recent posts list on the LHS then I don't see it at all.
I look in most days and therefore most newish stuff is still on that list.

Phil

:ThumbsUp:

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2021, 10:08:25 PM »
I normally come here twice every day, where I read every new post..
As I have been doing this since this site started, I have learned a lot from a very big number of people over the years and I'm very grateful for that  :cheers:

I will also admit that I'm not the best commentator + I less and less often see something I have to ask about ....

Best wishes

Per

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2021, 02:58:38 AM »
I read all new posts daily but seldom comment, mainly due to others already saying virtually the same as I was thinking. The other reason for a drop in views is as stated earlier, the ebb and flow of fora in general. Keep posting as I look forward to them.
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2021, 03:01:12 AM »
Ray I do read post but don’t often comment on them. I guess most do the same, but I don’t think it isn’t because your work is not interesting because you do quality work. I won’t stop posting because I am sure plenty read it. I understand it’s encouraging to get comments for your work so I would say I too am guilty of not commenting more. 

Regards Don

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2021, 03:18:55 AM »
Ray et al,
Sorry if I've been part of the problem. I have about an hour in the evening to look at the posts. I tend to look at the ones that interest me most and are on the website when I read it. Life as it has been for the last year, I don't have the energy by 9 in the evening to think much beyond reading. I haven't had the time to work on my own projects. I have been reading about your leeks mystery engine and enjoyed that, w/o looking back I don't remember if I posted a reply. My family is preparing to sell my parents home and end that chapter of our lives, lots of pressure and anxiety that will be over soon. I have to say I was never able to keep up with everything on the forum even when on vacation. I have to say though that when I was building Val the most important thing to me even if no one replied was the number at the top of the page saying red 309 times. As it climbed I appreciated how many people were following.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2021, 06:00:07 AM »
Here's the problem as I see it, at least as it affects my behaviour.  Way too many sub forums.  we're all busy and I only look a few areas when I sign in.  so 90% of posts go unnoticed by me.   

26 forums suggests an need to want to organize.   However, I challenge the leadership to ask why?  The goal (imo) of social media should fun and free flowing conversations, show and tell etc....not methodical grouping and organizing.  Things are found nowadays by searching not index cards.

I'd cut it down to 5 forums so each would be much more active/dynamic.  It would be a manageable number to click through so more of us would see more of the site.  I've said it before I know others oppose my view, but I'll keep chipping away :)

Interesting question.  I agree - that's a lot of subforums.  But what I do is basically ignore the subforum (except when I'm starting a new post or thread).  I ALWAYS go immediately to the "Show unread posts since last visit" link immediately below the "Hello <name>" title in the header.  If you use that, you always see the list of posts that you haven't read yet.  I never step through 26 forums.  And the sidebar only shows the 10 most recent posts. And on busy days, you can miss posts if you only look at the "Recent Posts" sidebar!

"Show unread posts since last visit" is what works for me.

Kim

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2021, 09:04:16 AM »
I don't know if it's just me or if other forum members are finding the same thing, but response to my recent posts, both on my Alyn Foundry RLE and on my Mystery (Leek) engines has been almost non existent, with, perhaps, one comment if I am lucky, but more often no response at all. I don't know whether this means they are simply not being read, or are not of any interest, but it makes me seriously question whether there is any point in continuing to post if no-one is interested.

Well Ray (and all the others who have commented- and of course those who haven't  ;)) your observation is something that I have made reference to on occasion in the past.

I have always been reluctant to do so however in case it is seen as asking for compliments but if the question isn't asked then it's not answered.

I think it fair to say that since I've been a member on here I've done my fair bit of posting over the years covering several builds of varying type and before that is read as 'some sort of claim' I'm well aware of those that have done as much or even more. I have always done so in the hope that what I have done will be of interest and of use to those who look in and it's always pleasing (for me) to see that someone has taken the time to make a comment  (even if it is the "what 'Fred' said" kind of reply  ::)) and especially those from someone new to the forum or thread.

Of course it is always gratifying to see the numbers that look in overnight after posting and to realise that many are obviously following but as I've stressed before I've always posted in the hope of communication with others. Some do, most don't, so its a two edged sword as far as I'm concerned. But when at times there is no response at all I have, on more than a few occasions, questioned if it is all worth the candle. An example springs to mind - during the Wide a Wake thread after a particularly long post well into the night I was perplexed to see the following morning that despite 508 visits having been made overnight not one comment was made. It is at times like that that one does begin to wonder why one is spending so much time to share with others when they in turn aren't seemingly are not willing to share a few seconds of appreciation - and not of whats been done but of the fact that it has been posted - for their benefit after all.

This did bug me in a way for a time but now see it as it would appear others have and the desire to post on a regular basis has just faded away.

Age plays another part and 'tiredness' is definitely setting in so to give a fair part of modelling time to think about what's required for the next posting has definitely waned. I'm currently building a Marine Compound engine but have little if no desire to post about it as a build log. That's the first model I've made since becoming a member that I haven't done so.

So I guess like others I will just fade away but I'll leave with this comment to those who lurk and never ever bother to comment.

The person who is posting is doing so for several reasons not least to share with you the reader his experiences from which you can benefit - the fact that you are reading that latest post shows you have an interest so just think about the fact that here is something new to gratify that interest - done by someone you don't know, for you and all the others like yourself enjoying this latest installment. Do yourself a favour and just once in a while tell that poster you appreciate their efforts - that will go a long way to making them feel that what they are doing for you is truly worthwhile.

Happy modelling guys - enjoy that shid time if nothing else  :)

Tug
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 09:07:27 AM by Ramon »
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Dan the man

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2021, 09:32:08 AM »
Well folks,
                   Speaking as a complete newcomer to the site, I think it's a brilliant site and anyone who has responded to me has been more than helpful ,now I was born in the 60s and I'm not much into computing and so fourth(ask my long suffering son)
But I use my smartphone most of the time and I would love to put up photos or videos but it's very difficult.
Now I am on a motorcycle forum on Facebook and it's so easy to interact with!
But then there is so much wonderful information on this site I don't know if that could work.
Anyway I think this is a great site!

Dan the man

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2021, 09:37:40 AM »
This is an interesting thread, and at times I have felt the same as the OP.

It takes significant time to create a readable and, with luck, informative post. I appreciate that I don't post much on this forum. That's partly because I'm not really interested in model engines.  :-[ What really interests me is engineering, machining techniques and the underlying design and working principles.

I am on three forums and it is interesting to compare the responses. I have recently finished what is called a button valve for my traction engines. It's not often seen on models and I have created the design based on full size drawings. On another model forum I got absolutely no response whatsoever. So on that forum I have decided not to make any more work in progress posts. On the TT forum I got an excellent response and lots of useful comments based on full size engines. I also got a lot of helpful advice on TT while creating the design. I haven't got around to posting the work on this site as yet.

I am also aware that I have a well equipped workshop based mostly on ex-industrial machine tools. There have been some snide remarks on other modelling forums, and even in a UK modelling magazine, about far eastern machines being fine and one doesn't need ex-industrial tooling. That's put me off posting. Is there is any point in showing techniques using machines and accessories that many members will not have?

Part of my excuse for not posting is that I have been working over the last few months and it hasn't been going too well. But I have to knuckle down as I was unable to work for nine months and the savings are almost all gone. The wolf hasn't rung the doorbell yet, but he's hovering with intent on the pavement!

Andrew

Online Twizseven

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2021, 11:47:11 AM »
I thoroughly enjoy reading other posts and looking at the techniques used.  Although there have machines around me for quite a long time in my fathers workshop I unfortunately did not learn as much as I could or should have.  Unfortunately my father passed away just over 4 weeks ago (5 months short of his 100th) and was in hospital for couple of weeks before that, so nothing has happened in the workshop for couple of months.  Still trying to sort out probate paperwork and all that that entails.

It is nice to receive comments on my work good or bad.  In particular on my recent refurb of a Stuart 10V which needed major work on steam ports, bearings and cylinder.  Advice on here and MEW guided me on my way.  I have machines ranging from Bridgeport clone down to Cowells mill and I find looking at work from Andrew (Jadge) and Jo amongst other very helpful.

Perhaps its not thinking for myself but I like to read others builds of an engine I am going to build and then document any errors they may have found, any particular setups that are required, any issues with sizes of castings etc.  Hopefully by doing this I will cut down on the cockups that I make.

I have noticed this reduction in postings on several sites and wonder whether some of it is due to members investigating other hobbies and interests whilst they have been stuck at home, or maybe just getting on with long put off household improvements.

Whatever, I would like to hope that many of this forums contributors will continue to post on their work in progress.

Colin

Offline RayW

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2021, 12:00:06 PM »
Thanks to you all for your responses. The objective of my thread was to provoke some discussion and it has certainly done just that! This is clearly an issue that strikes a chord with many members and perhaps we should all bear in mind just how much a few well chosen words of encouragement, or even constructive comment, mean to the member posting details of their latest project, or, indeed,seeking help or advice.

Colin, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your father and how sad that he didn't quite make his 100th. I echo exactly the comments in your last paragraph. This is an excellent forum and it is up to all of us to keep it going.
Ray

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2021, 12:05:06 PM »
I noticed the decline in responses to posts starting about a year ago. I guess the worries and concerns of this Covid thing may be having a deeper effect on the way we behave and respond to the outside world than we realise. Do we now read the forum posts as a sort of comfort food and find ourselves too preoccupied with real world concerns to respond?

Keep safe

Mike
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 08:51:05 AM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline AVTUR

• West of England
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2021, 12:14:19 PM »
I look at the site once or twice a day, very frequently as a visitor. I should follow more of the blogs which make this site appealing. I am fully aware that writing a blog is time consuming and can seem unproductive.

Using a different name I am a member of another model engineering forum which, compared with this forum, can get like the Wild West with the moderators getting shot at. I have to say the interests of its members are very broard and general. Some appear to use it as their real world.

I rather like the slow pace of this forum but even I have been aware of the slowing down of postings and replies. I agree with Colin that COVID may be one of the causes (Colin, I give my condolences). I have missed Jo's words of wisdom.

AVTUR

Just seen the last two postings - Mike, please don't fade away.
There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2021, 12:56:36 PM »
It is a difficult question. A lot of people are re-evaluating their lives under the current conditions. Yesterday evening the weather was good so I walked down to the lake with my wife to watch the sunset rather than going down to the cellar. I am probably putting being out in nature above modelmaking at present.

Like others who have responded to this thread I try to read as many posts as I can. I will certainly respond with a question or suggestion if appropriate and sometimes praise/encouragement.

What sort of response is reasonable/normal? If I posted my latest creation finished and working I would be happy with 5-10 responses. If I am posting a 'bite sized, 8 pics max' build log I might expect a response every 4-5 posts. What does the panel think?
Best regards

Roger

Offline Charles Lamont

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2021, 01:29:01 PM »
I find progress reports, problems, problems solved, novice qestions, complicated questions, novel ideas, daft ideas, clever solutions, whacky machining set-ups, fiddly constrution, unusual prototypes, controversial opinions, irrelevance and (better) irreverence are all interesting.

Blow-by-blow build logs (unless by a beginner needing hand-holding) with little explanation and lots of images of run-of-the-mill machining operations, not so much.

Fifteen congratulatory posts are only desirable when the thing is finished (or at least works). (I would have liked a few more when I got my first IC engine running a couple of months ago, after 11 years building it!)

It is another sunny spring afternoon and I have gardening to do.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal