Supporting > Tooling & Machines

Slender Turning Tool

(1/3) > >>

pgp001:
I have been putting off making studs for a while now, but decided I needed a better way of reducing standard bar down to BA diameter for the studs I need to make.
I already have on of those attachments that fit into the toolpost, they use a small bush and the actual turning tool is contained within it.
The last time I used it it took about an hour to set it up, and five minutes to do the actual turning, they are such a faff to get the tool on the right centre height and also cutting to the correct depth, it all seems to be a bit of trial and error.

So I have come up with this instead, it still uses bushes, but once the bracket is fastened to the saddle with one bolt it is in perfect alignment every time, the beauty of this jig is the fact that the tool height and the depth of cut can be done in the normal way using the compound slide and QC toolpost.

I did not make any drawings for this which is highly unusual for me, I just found a spare lump of metal and started cutting, the hole where the bushes fit was bored out in situ with it bolted to the saddle.

Phil

When I come to use it in anger, I will use a collet rather than the three jaw chuck, the little short lathe tool is actually 1/4" square Stellite 100, and it is way better than HSS as it stays sharp and holds a keen edge for much longer. I also use it in my tangential tool holder, and that is where this short bit came from.

steamer:
Sweet!    I made something similar for turning threads on very long very small diameter screws.   Its more of a follower rest, than a box tool like that, but very similar

Dave

propforward:
That’s excellent. My attempt at something similar was overcomplicated and an utter failure. My next attempt will be astoundingly similar to yours.

bent:
Neat idea!

Charles Lamont:
I made a similar one a few years ago. It is offset towards the headstock to avoid having to wind back the topside so far in order to clear a toolholder.

The other clever thing about this type of steady is that you can make the hole in the bush in situ, so it is bound to be bang on centre.

Here I am running down some 1/8" rod to 0.110" for making 6-BA studs:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version