Author Topic: Newbie from South Lincs  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Swallowtail

Newbie from South Lincs
« on: March 19, 2021, 01:04:02 PM »
Just saying hi, semi retired and making the most of lockdown to be active in the man cave. My little ML10 and a recently acquired Centec 2a keeps me out of bother. Like most, have built a Stuart 10v and started on a boiler as per Stan Bray design to feed it. Looking for something a bit different with wheels on it, perhaps someone knows of a traction engine  which isn't too complicated.
I recently acquired a load of stuff from a chap and it included a part finished Rainham, the frames for the engine and tender are complete along with most of the machining for the cylinders and rods etc. I have the plans and a box of copper pieces cut out all labelled for the boiler along with bronze bushes etc.
I have read that they are not worth building and the plans were flawed, they date to 2009; so I'm not sure what to do or if it's beyond my ability at the moment. So it sits gathering dust in a large crate. Any ideas welcome.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Newbie from South Lincs
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 05:00:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

I don't have any input on your specific question about the Rainham parts, but I can tell you I recently (well, a few years back maybe :)) completed the steam tractor based on plans from Rudy Kouhoupt.  The plans come in a nice spiral-bound book that includes instructions on how to do the various steps.  The info is nowhere near as detailed as Kozo's books are, but they were helpful to me as a relative beginner in the hobby.  I was able to complete the engine and am quite pleased with it.  And I learned a LOT in the process, I can tell you.  Here's a link to that build https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,5264.0.html.

Best of luck on whatever project you choose to work on next!
Kim

Offline Swallowtail

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 07:22:08 PM »
Hi, thanks for the reply and the advice. Much appreciated. I'm in no rush as got the finish the boiler yet and a few other bits n bobs, however I'll investigate this chap and engine further.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 07:53:07 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

I think that most people start on projects without fully understanding what is involved, but generally they are completed and you will learn a lot on the way (and make quite a few trial pieces  ::) )
Best regards

Roger

Offline Barneydog

• Just outside Leicester, United KIngdom
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 08:54:30 PM »
I agree. Your first bigger loco is a very steep learning curve with massive highs and deep lows but it is all part of learning. If you got most of Rainworth give it a go and use it to learn. My Simplex was a long job but it helped me understand and learn. Sweet Pea is now alot easier for me to build. I understand the concepts and problems better. If you want a loco to build why not look at my Sweet Pea build log on this forum and follow along. It's a very forgiving loco and will stand some slight in accuracies in the build. Good for a first time loco.

Cheers

Julian

Offline Swallowtail

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 09:52:19 PM »
Thanks, I'll keep my eye on it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal