Author Topic: A Mystery Tapping Machine  (Read 1728 times)

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
A Mystery Tapping Machine
« on: March 18, 2021, 05:20:44 PM »
I thought this little tapping machine might be of interest and was curious to hear if anyone has ever seen one like it?

I've been doing a lot of tapping (#2-56 = 8BA) lately which reminded me of tapping machine I saw on a visit to England some years ago.
Visiting a friend's workshop in Essex, I was shown this which he rescued from a skip.  I wouldn't have recognized right off what its purpose was,
but he recognized it immediately and quickly gave it a home.  It's a simple but ingenious machine.

The powered horizontal shaft drives single friction-faced cone which sits between the two opposing cones on the spindle.
The spindle can move vertically but is limited to the range allowed by contact with the driving cone.

After adjusting its position, the table is raised and lowered by a rack lever.
So with the work piece fixed on the table, raising the table also raises the spindle where its lower cone contacts the driving cone.
This turns the spindle in the CW direction, advancing the tap, with the table following along.

When the required tap depth is reached the table feed is slacked, ending spindle contact with the drive cone, which stops the spindle.
Lowering the table then engages the upper side of the drive cone thus reversing the spindle to CCW and the tap is withdrawn.

It's really quite brilliant and works beautifully and quickly. At that time my friend was engaged in small batch building of Gauge-1 live steam locomotives
and he told me it never breaks even a tiny tap. Unfortunately I didn't take note of the Mfg or country of origin, and neither of us had ever seen one like it.
Cheers,
Harry

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
Re: A Mystery Tapping Machine
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 05:34:30 PM »
Several where I worked.  About 60 yrs ago  :old:

For some reason the name 'ACE' comes to mind but not certain.  :headscratch:  Wasn't me for sure ..  :ROFL:

Dave

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 05:55:56 PM »
Pretty clever setup. Do you have a higher-resolution original of any of those pictures? Looks like a nameplate on the base of it in the one picture. Never seen anything like that before.

Offline EricB

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 05:57:54 PM »
Looks like a sensitive drilling machine to me. Watchmakers use them.

https://www.wadeodesign.com/restorations/hamilton-sensitive-drilling-tapping-machine

Eric
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 06:06:15 PM by EricB »

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 06:15:03 PM »
http://www.lathes.co.uk/oldak/     Looks pretty similar if you take the fancy cowling off.   --Tim

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 10:09:14 AM »
Hamilton made a similar machine. Home Shop Machinist did an article about them in the last few years.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6xiC23YSak" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6xiC23YSak</a>

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 12:50:07 PM »
Now they're coming out of the woodwork!  That's a very nifty little machine.
Thanks for all the input . .  very informative.
  :ThumbsUp:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 01:32:31 PM by GWRdriver »
Cheers,
Harry

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 04:51:29 PM »
Hamilton made a similar machine. Home Shop Machinist did an article about them in the last few years.

Yes!  I remember that now.  When I saw that original picture it looked familiar so I figured that I had read about it in a post here.  But then others were saying they'd never seen it before, so I couldn't think where I would have seen that cone-drive mechanism.  But that's it!  I read about it in HSM!  Mystery solved :)

Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal