Author Topic: "Dribbler" Loco  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
"Dribbler" Loco
« on: March 16, 2021, 12:36:42 AM »
I'm wondering if any members here have one of these engines. Quite an interesting piece of steam history. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Dribbler
 My original post at HMEM is here: https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/dribbler-loco.32937/

I'm trying to recreate drawings for a model built from bar stock. (The original used castings)
 I'm getting closer to finishing the 3D models & will then create drawings & post them.

I'm still not sure about some of the details such as how the boiler is attached to the frame (chassis?) & not real happy with the burner set-up. (a "tray" slides up from the bottom...(?)

Just thought I would pick the collective minds here as well.

John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: "Dribbler" Loco
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 12:56:19 AM »
For attaching the boiler to the frame, either use bands around the boiler with screw block at the joint, or blind bushings in the bottom of the boiler?

Cute little loco!

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 03:25:13 PM »
 Thanks Chris!
 I'm leaning towards soldered lugs on the bottom of the boiler & attaching it that way, may have to design a soldering fixture to hold them in place during soldering. I hope to see how that looks later today.

Another question for you: Do you use the PMR steam whistles on your beautiful models? I'd like to use it, but it just seems so tall & out of scale on this model. I may have to do some digging to see if I can find some dimensions & info on the Wilesco & Mamod "Bell" style whistles.

John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 03:47:10 PM »
I agree, the pmr whistle would be too big. A Mamod one would be a better fit for a small boiler. On my smaller ecale models the whistles are dummy ones.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 03:52:26 PM »
For the boiler lugs, a common way is to drill a hole in the shell, and have a bronze bushing come through the boiler shell from the inside, the bushing having the inside end larger so it can't come through. That way there is mechanical strength as well as the solder. The bushing would be drilled and tapped halfway through its length for a screw from the frame. If the boiler sits in shallow cradles, one bushing would be enough.
But, lots of ways it can be done, this is just one.

Watching along, this looks like a fun one!

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 09:32:26 PM »
John:

If you zoom in on the pictures in the Wiki article, it almost looks like the boiler on the 1890's Dribbler was soldered to the frame.  On the newer version, it looks like the decorative knob on the front is knurled.  I would guess that knob is actually a screw that's threaded into a bush in the boiler - just like Chris described.  There's probably something similar in the back.   I believe that Mamod uses something similar on some of their boilers.

Don

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 10:47:53 AM »
Hi
Lovely model, John, as usual !
I suggest 2 blind bushes at the bottom of the boiler, with screws though the footplate or the spacer.

it reminds me the many little O gauger locos I did some years ago; Cracker, Dickins and the like...

« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 10:59:13 AM by Zephyrin »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 01:53:09 PM »
Nice looking model!

I hadn't seen front wheels on a loco that can pivot.
Is that to allow small radii turns?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 02:45:40 PM »
Nice looking model!

I hadn't seen front wheels on a loco that can pivot.
Is that to allow small radii turns?
These models were made to run without a track, so they made the front wheels steer to run in circles on the floor. Cool idea.

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 06:11:56 PM »
Zee:

On many locomotives the front axle or axles can pivot, not exactly the same as on the Dribbler, but they do pivot. (Look for either pony truck or Bissel truck.)  As you suspected this was done to allow the longer wheelbase locomotives to navigate the existing tracks with small-ish radius corners.

Don

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 09:03:23 PM »
Zephyrin, that is an amazing collection of small steam models.  You have been very productive in your hobby.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2021, 11:46:38 PM »
Thank you gents! All very good info!
I decided that I would solder 2 "Lugs", front & back of the boiler that also help "Cradle" the boiler having 4 points of contact (center of cradle being relieved) & fastened with 2 cap screws each from the lower frame, Kind of like a "Vee" block, but radiused to match the boiler profile. Of course the builder can decide how they might like to build it.

Still not real sure how I'll have the burner clip into the side rails as Rustkolector mentioned on HMEM, maybe some tabs...

Not much more to do before I start working on the final drawings. :)

John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2021, 11:56:09 PM »
Good looking engine, should be a fun one.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal