Author Topic: How many axes on a lathe DRO?  (Read 4450 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: How many axes on a lathe DRO?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2021, 06:52:26 PM »
Undet the heading of its better to be looking at it instead of looking for it....id go with the better resolution and 2 scales...with a seperate unit on the tailstock....jmo

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline john mills

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2021, 01:59:20 AM »
Hi   
lot of smaller lathes just don't have rome to foot scales on top slides even bigger lathes i have used ( one that would swing 2meters  on the face plate )would be difficult to fit and manage the wiring to servive for long in amongst swarf  .   tail stock scale could be useful but dials  and scale are usually sufficient .whith CNC machines then digital readout for positions are there . even fitting the x and y  to standard machines restrict the amount of travel on lots of machines .It would be good if machine biulders designed and built machines to incorporate the scales internally inside the slides now that DRO are more standard  and price is more affordable.   

John

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2021, 02:27:29 AM »
Nope no axes on a lathe just 2 commonly used axis.  :ROFL: :lolb: Sorry but someone had to do it. :facepalm:
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2021, 10:47:39 AM »
Hi   
lot of smaller lathes just don't have rome to foot scales on top slides even bigger lathes i have used ( one that would swing 2meters  on the face plate )would be difficult to fit and manage the wiring to servive for long in amongst swarf  .   tail stock scale could be useful but dials  and scale are usually sufficient .whith CNC machines then digital readout for positions are there . even fitting the x and y  to standard machines restrict the amount of travel on lots of machines .It would be good if machine biulders designed and built machines to incorporate the scales internally inside the slides now that DRO are more standard  and price is more affordable.   

John
Agrre John...I dont see a Cowells getting a DRO anytime soon.  That said, some of the recent products have gotten quite small indeed    1/2 × 1/2 read heads.   

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2021, 01:19:47 PM »
Sony makes a really small unit for Levin lathes....the price is not small!!
https://levinlathe.com/sony.html

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2021, 01:50:15 PM »
Interesting thread for me.
I've been considering the LMS HiTorque 7350 (7x16) which has DROs on the compound rest, cross slide, and tailstock (but they don't account for backlash).
The tailstock is of most interest to me, for the same reasons that Ade mentioned...e.g. drilling holes to depth.
The compound rest was also of interest but mainly for turning short distances when square with the compound rest.
I'm less interested in the cross slide. Probably because of trust issues and would rely more on caliper/micrometer. Seems more accuracy is needed there rather than drilling holes.
I'm curious why there isn't one on the carriage as I've always had trouble getting accuracy there.
I may go for the DRO-less model 5100 and add a DRO just to the tailstock. Well...if I did that I may as well go cheaper and mount a caliper.
But...I'm still a newbie!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2021, 03:13:53 PM »
Something I haven't seen mentioned is accounting for wear: On my lathe, using the handwheels was always a wing-and-a-prayer job; because the leadscrews on my lathe are worn, particularly the cross-slide, e.g. if I took a 0.020" cut at 4" diameter, it'd maybe take 0.039" off the diameter, but the same 0.020" cut at 2" would take 0.046" off the diameter; purely due to wear in the cross slide lead screw. Wear in the nut is detectable as backlash (somewhere between 1/3rd and 1/2 turn of the handwheel on my lathe), and between the two, hitting an accurate-to-1-thou dimension could be a real cat and mouse game.

Adding the DRO has massively reduced the effect of this wear, as - having taken a cut + measure + set DRO, I can pretty much trust it until I change the tool.
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2021, 04:51:14 PM »
Nope no axes on a lathe just 2 commonly used axis.  :ROFL: :lolb: Sorry but someone had to do it. :facepalm:

The plural of axis is axes.

But there are definitely no hatchets.

Well, I've seen a few hatchet jobs come off my lathe, and a couple of jobs that got axed.  :facepalm2:
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2021, 05:51:48 PM »

I'm an eternal newbie. And quite happy about it.

Zee, weren't you going all CNC? Or are you looking to add a machine. I may have missed something there. Easily done when life and work distract me from my fun for months at a time.  :rant:
Stuart

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2021, 09:46:51 PM »

Zee, weren't you going all CNC? Or are you looking to add a machine. I may have missed something there. Easily done when life and work distract me from my fun for months at a time.  :rant:

I don't mean to hijack the thread. I had gotten Sherlines and converted the lathe to CNC. I'm still in process of converting the mill to CNC.
I have a PM1030V and PM25MV and intend to sell them off. Too big for me.
I intend to get back to a mini-lathe and mini-mill and am considering the LMS 7350 or 5100 lathe and LMS 4190 mill.
But it will be a few months before I can do anything (wife's illness, pandemic, and still too cold for me).
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2021, 10:14:26 PM »

I don't mean to hijack the thread. I had gotten Sherlines and converted the lathe to CNC. I'm still in process of converting the mill to CNC.
I intend to get back to a mini-lathe and mini-mill and am considering the LMS 7350 or 5100 lathe and LMS 4190 mill.
But it will be a few months before I can do anything (wife's illness, pandemic, and still too cold for me).
I fully understand the other reasons, but too cold? I thought you had that beautiful newly built indoor shop as part of the house?  :thinking:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2021, 10:40:18 PM »
Too cold to drag them out to garage and load them into whatever comes along.  ;D
"To work. To work."

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2021, 11:35:30 PM »

I certainly don’t mind a change in direction for the thread. You can only talk about DRO’s on a lathe for so long. Sounds like you have a solid plan. Will look forward to seeing more in due course.
Stuart

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2021, 12:28:35 AM »
Too cold to drag them out to garage and load them into whatever comes along.  ;D
Hmmmm... That may explain why the shop elves were packing up thier truck and trailer with bolt cutters and little ninja outfits!

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2021, 01:59:27 AM »

The plural of axis is axes.

But there are definitely no hatchets.

Well, I've seen a few hatchet jobs come off my lathe, and a couple of jobs that got axed.  :facepalm2:
[/quote]
 Quite right of course Prop, back to the dunces corner. looking for my pointy hat with the red 'D' on it. Might get my eyes tested too  :hammerbash:
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal