Help! > Machines, Tools and Fixtures

How many axes on a lathe DRO?

<< < (3/7) > >>

Jo:
If you already have a 2 axis DRO then upgrading to 3 axis is expensive as the Display also needs to be upgraded (it automatically combines top slide and saddle)

If you don't have DROs on your lathe...  :headscratch:

Jo

Daggers:
I fitted a dro kit to my Myford last year it came with 2 axis scales but used a 3 axis dro so later i could update with a third scale if needed.
What i liked about this kit was that the cross slide scale is hidden under the surface. It did require a groove in the cross slide base, but this was a very simple job.

crueby:

--- Quote from: Jo on March 16, 2021, 11:50:36 AM ---If you don't have DROs on your lathe...  :headscratch:

--- End quote ---
then, I wouldn't be able to make complicated engines like this... Oh - wait, yes I can, and do!

Just means I have to take a direct measurement a little more often and count on the handwheels.   :shrug:

Jo:

--- Quote from: crueby on March 16, 2021, 01:17:54 PM ---Just means I have to take a direct measurement a little more often and count on the handwheels.   :shrug:

--- End quote ---

Yup  ;)

And don't forget to wear the glasses  :DrinkPint:

Jo

propforward:
To be honest all I really "need" is a bit more resolution on the carriage. It's not like I can't hit dimensions accurately, but whereas it is quite simple to hit within a thou on diameters, turning lengths is trickier. Similarly I'd like some more accuracy on the tailstock. That could actually be achieved by adding a manual vernier scale (for example).

After all this if I do add DRO's I'll likely just make it a 2 scale job, and maybe a single standalone scale on the tailstock.

Interesting to read perspectives. Thanks everyone for your input.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version