Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 154221 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #2085 on: January 23, 2022, 03:27:07 PM »
Let me add my congratulations to the list!
Very nice work, and the speed at which you make the parts is impressive too.

What's next???

Sid
Thanks guys!  What's next?  That would be a model of the two cylinder compound Paine engine in the steam passenger ferry Sabino. Ron Ginger got us in to Mystic Seaport Museum to measure the original one this past fall, its all drawn up in Fusion and ready to go. But first, I want to do a wood carving project and another RC model, they've been waiting on the bench for me to finish the Holly.

Chris

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2086 on: January 23, 2022, 03:35:56 PM »

What's next???

Sid
Thanks guys!  What's next?  That would be a model of the two cylinder compound Paine engine in the steam passenger ferry Sabino. Ron Ginger got us in to Mystic Seaport Museum to measure the original one this past fall, its all drawn up in Fusion and ready to go. But first, I want to do a wood carving project and another RC model, they've been waiting on the bench for me to finish the Holly.

Chris

Can't wait for this one!   I was a Volunteer Engineer on the boat with this engine, ( 75 HP Paine Compound) and it will be nice to see her run again.

Dave

« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 04:12:20 PM by steamer »
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2087 on: January 23, 2022, 04:08:10 PM »

What's next???

Sid

Chris

Can't wait for this one!   I was a Voluntee Engineer on the boat with this engine, ( 75 HP Paine Compound) and it will be nice to see her run again.

Dave
Yes! I should have mentioned that Dave gave me a lot of great information about how the Sabino engine works and its other machinery, pumps, valves, etc.   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

That build will likely start in a few weeks, have been looking ahead and ordering some 1144 for the two piece engine block. Found a great deal on a drop.

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #2088 on: January 23, 2022, 04:18:24 PM »

What's next???

Sid

Chris
Hi Chris, Will you post about the Carving project and the RC model?
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2089 on: January 23, 2022, 05:13:17 PM »

What's next???

Sid

Chris
Hi Chris, Will you post about the Carving project and the RC model?
Gerald.
Not along the way but when done, yes!

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #2090 on: January 23, 2022, 09:02:42 PM »
Chris, this has been a blast to watch from the peanut gallery. One last sugestion....I think one of the suit guys should go by the gauge board. I have seen old photos of ships engineers very smartly dressed in uniform at the operating stand. My guess is even stationary engineers used to look more business like than a common laborer at least on photo days.

Now when I was working we looked like a band of ruffians in well used work clothes and that was on a good day.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2091 on: January 23, 2022, 10:01:26 PM »
Chris, this has been a blast to watch from the peanut gallery. One last sugestion....I think one of the suit guys should go by the gauge board. I have seen old photos of ships engineers very smartly dressed in uniform at the operating stand. My guess is even stationary engineers used to look more business like than a common laborer at least on photo days.

Now when I was working we looked like a band of ruffians in well used work clothes and that was on a good day.

Cheers Dan
Great idea! I'll pick the one with the puzzled look on his face.

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #2092 on: January 23, 2022, 11:24:51 PM »

Cheers Dan
You will have to have one of the workers next to him explaining that those are the normal readings/
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline samc88

« Reply #2093 on: January 23, 2022, 11:27:17 PM »

This picture better shows the external stairs and catwalks that are between the engines - they go up to all three levels of the engine platforms. One set of stairs serves two engines.

So when are you making the second one?

Awesome work, Id love to see this alongside the little lathe that built it, its an impressive looking engine

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2094 on: January 23, 2022, 11:35:05 PM »

Cheers Dan
You will have to have one of the workers next to him explaining that those are the normal readings/
Gerald.
Yes!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2095 on: January 23, 2022, 11:37:46 PM »

This picture better shows the external stairs and catwalks that are between the engines - they go up to all three levels of the engine platforms. One set of stairs serves two engines.

So when are you making the second one?

Awesome work, Id love to see this alongside the little lathe that built it, its an impressive looking engine
A second one?   :paranoia:     Well, better than making the other four that are in the row of them.... Or the seven in a row that Cincinatti once had in its Main Station pumphouse!

And the Sherline lathe at least is very easy to move over in front of the model! Lets see you do THAT with a Southbend or whatever!   :Lol:   The lathe wieghs about a tenth of the model...

Offline samc88

« Reply #2096 on: January 23, 2022, 11:42:57 PM »
Its incredible what can be done on such an unassuming bit of equipment

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #2097 on: January 24, 2022, 12:26:38 AM »
 :ThumbsUp:
 :pinkelephant:
 Truly incredible work Chris! I've followed along silently but, WOW...Pretty impressive.

John

Offline kvom

« Reply #2098 on: January 24, 2022, 01:19:42 PM »
One thing I missed in this is where the rods for the pumps are connected.  Eccentric hidden away?

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2099 on: January 24, 2022, 02:09:29 PM »
One thing I missed in this is where the rods for the pumps are connected.  Eccentric hidden away?
Hi kvom,
The pump plungers have four rods coming up around the cranks, and connect to the crossheads to the piston rods:

Makes them hard to see in the model, back behind all the frames and such. By taking the power direct from the crossheads, they got maximum force from the piston. The Allis engine worked the same way. The pump rod length also would keep the pump plungers aligned.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal