Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 154145 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #2055 on: January 20, 2022, 05:25:27 PM »
Chris those corner bits are really nice. Is there a block of metal to make the double 90 connections that are on the outside edges of the flywheels?

Cheers Dan
Hi Dan,

I was going to put another block at those inside corners, but things are pretty rigid without them, so decided to skip them.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2056 on: January 21, 2022, 04:11:47 PM »
After getting the corners all painted and installed yesterday, on to 'decking day' today. So far I have all but one of the floor panels in on the lower catwalk, the one over on the left end which shows white in the picture, thats the cardboard template.

Really changes the look of the engine! Can't wait to get the railings on, but first I need to make some hold-down bits for the floorboards on all three levels. As you can see in this picture, the Stupervisors up on the top deck are laying down on the job again...

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #2057 on: January 21, 2022, 06:27:04 PM »
How are the hold-down gonna keep the supervisors from laying down on the job?  You need to install some hold-ups.  Or will that just make the elves think it's OK to go pull a bank job?

(Could be that they're laying down because they are terrified of falling off the top level with no railing?)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 06:30:30 PM by ddmckee54 »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2058 on: January 21, 2022, 06:30:10 PM »
How are the hold-down gonna keep the supervisors from laying down on the job?  You need to install some hold-ups.  Or will that just make the elves think it's OK to go pull a bank job?
For that extra-comfortable executive standing, a wire through the floor and up through the, um, err...   :LittleDevil:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #2059 on: January 21, 2022, 10:20:44 PM »
Hmm....no pantleg wire in stock at McMaster Carr....might need the old Blues Brothers boot to gas pedal glue!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2060 on: January 22, 2022, 04:23:57 PM »
Got the floor plates all installed, and have started in on the lower deck railings. Note that there is a gap on the right end - the engines had a stairway/platform set between each pair of engines, this gap is where the walkway connected. On the next two levels up, the gap moves over to the middle then the left end, following the stairs. I wont be making the stairs, they would stick out way too far.

The railing posts were made last spring when the pump-level platforms were made, so at this point its just a matter of installing them. The railing itself is 1/16" steel rod bent to shape. After getting each section fit into the holes (and re-fit when they pop out when putting in the last one), I am going back, lifting the bottom trim piece, and putting in a drop of loctite 638. When the bottom trim flange is put back down onto the deck, it squeezes the loctite around the post and deck, when set it seems to hold well. Soldering that connection was not an option since the angle flanges are aluminum.
So, 2/3 of the lower railing on, lots more to go, but it does change the look a lot!  Oh, and also drilled the legs on the figures for some wire, they are set into holes in the decking.

Online wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2061 on: January 22, 2022, 04:34:00 PM »
This is one beautiful looking engine!
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #2062 on: January 22, 2022, 04:38:02 PM »
Chris yes that looks good and really shows the scale. I was wondering about the stairs so thanks for that detail. How do the suits get down well I guess they have to jump or swing like a monkey.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2063 on: January 22, 2022, 05:00:26 PM »
Chris yes that looks good and really shows the scale. I was wondering about the stairs so thanks for that detail. How do the suits get down well I guess they have to jump or swing like a monkey.

Cheers Dan
This picture better shows the external stairs and catwalks that are between the engines - they go up to all three levels of the engine platforms. One set of stairs serves two engines.

Also forgot to show this picture, I printed and painted the gauge board for the end of the engine. After painting the dial marks were drawn in with a pen.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #2064 on: January 22, 2022, 05:23:54 PM »
That looks like a fairly tight squeeze around the flywheels on the lower deck.  Obviously, the flywheels aren't going to reach out and grab you but having that much metal moving close to you would still be intimidating.

The model just looks better and better with every deft touch you apply.  Thank you very much for taking the time to document your work so we could follow the evolution of this tour de force of modelmaking.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 06:49:21 PM by mklotz »
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2065 on: January 22, 2022, 06:28:20 PM »
That looks like a fairly tight squeeze around the flywheels on the lower deck.  Obviously, the flywheels aren't going to reach out and grab you but having that much metal moving close to you would still be intimidating.

The model just looks better and better with every deft touch you apply.  Thank you very much for taking the time to document our work so we could follow the evolution of this tour de force of modelmaking.

Thanks Marv!  Yeah, the spaces are close in places, back then apprentices were cheap..  :o 

Been a really fun project, got lots of tips from others here.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #2066 on: January 22, 2022, 06:40:02 PM »
Too bad you’re going to cover them with a platform, I presume;  and you were correct previously.  It’s going to be an uncomfortable squeeze around those running flywheels for the maintenance men!
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2067 on: January 22, 2022, 06:41:26 PM »
Well, this went quicker than I expected, got on a roll after lunch and got the rest of the railings on.

Sat back and looked, and aside from giving the shop a good clean and getting the lights/tripod locations figured out for some final pictures and videos, the engine itself is done!  ^-^

All thats left is to hook up the hoses off the pumps to some pans of water, and see if it will actually pump water. It should, but all it takes is one little leak in a spot I can't get at anymore and that function is gone. In past test runs I could feel the air movement at the hoses, so its hopeful. For those who dont recall the lower pump housings (behind the little brown ladders on the base) each have sets of check valves inside, and there are manifolds that connect them to the clear hoses sticking out of the large pipes at the ends. In the above photo, the intake is on the lower right, and the output of the pumps is on the upper left.
So, will spend some time cleaning up the shop and getting all the spare bits/tools off the bench, and will try some actual water movement. With some towels handy in case it leaks! Then will set up for some finish portraits and videos...
 :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2068 on: January 22, 2022, 06:42:54 PM »
Too bad you’re going to cover them with a platform, I presume;  and you were correct previously.  It’s going to be an uncomfortable squeeze around those running flywheels for the maintenance men!
At least the flywheels and other moving bits are not encased in covers, just the catwalks around them.  Hmmm, those flywheels would make a nice honing wheel for the chisels...!

Oh, and I decided against putting on the partial lagging around the cylinders, tried holding up some sheet stock and it just looks odd with a partial wall behind it. And covering it all with the full lagging like on the original? Not a chance!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #2069 on: January 22, 2022, 07:23:21 PM »
Hi Chris , That looks Wonderfull ,I really like it   great workmanship and stunning details  :praise2: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Willy...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal