Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 154162 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #2040 on: January 18, 2022, 12:22:21 AM »
Wow, you'll have all the catwalks done soon!  How much is left to do?

Kim

PS Didn't you remove more of the insides on the other brackets?  Are the lower catwalk brackets different?

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2041 on: January 18, 2022, 01:17:58 AM »
Wow, you'll have all the catwalks done soon!  How much is left to do?

Kim

PS Didn't you remove more of the insides on the other brackets?  Are the lower catwalk brackets different?
Hi Kim,

The brackets on all three levels are different. On this lowest level they step back at the bottom so there is less of an opening.

After this, whats left? Railings, dashpots, gauge board, the cutaway insulation walls at the top, and testing the pumps. Pretty close to done!   :cartwheel:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #2042 on: January 18, 2022, 03:18:09 AM »
Hi Chris , Could you reduce the weight by filling all the piping and cylinders and other cavities with Helium  ?!!! :lolb:

Willy.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2043 on: January 18, 2022, 03:33:51 AM »
Hi Chris , Could you reduce the weight by filling all the piping and cylinders and other cavities with Helium  ?!!! :lolb:

Willy.
The shop elves saw your post, they are tieing strings to the corners and have entered it in a parade!   :Lol:

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #2044 on: January 18, 2022, 03:13:41 PM »
Chris,
I'm picturing a bunch of kids with bb guns following along taking pot shots. Everything is looking great!
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2045 on: January 18, 2022, 06:06:44 PM »
Chris,
I'm picturing a bunch of kids with bb guns following along taking pot shots. Everything is looking great!
Art
And the balloon goes whizzing off over the trees....!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2046 on: January 18, 2022, 06:13:58 PM »
This morning I got the rest of the brackets screwed onto the engine frames, then turned my attention to the angle channel rim around them. On this lower level, there is a center section by the flywheels that sticks out farther than the rest, so there are eight corner pieces rather than the four on the other levels. Also, these corner pieces have half the radius of the others, and I don't think my trick of bending the channel around a pipe will work well with such a tight curve. So, I am reverting back to how I originally thought all of them would have to be made, milling them out of round bar. The corner pieces take a 90 degree arc, then have to straighten out to match the long straight runs, with a notched end to fit behind the straight channel so they can be screwed together.
After some time laying it out, I started milling the first pair into an offcut end of a round bar, using the rotary table on the mill with a couple sizes of end mill. The curves were first done with 90 degree turns on the table, then the straight sections run in, leaving two corner piece shapes:

Moved the bar over to the lathe to part off the shape

Leaving this:

The corners were then cut through to seperate them, and the little inside corner left by the mill filed square so the channel will butt up against it. Here is one corner piece with some channel stock set next to it to show how it will go together:

So, two corners down, six more to make...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #2047 on: January 18, 2022, 09:56:38 PM »
Tricky corner bits!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Why do I have a flashback  :zap: to the Pink Floyd flying pig airship from my yout' - re the helium / floating Holly model discussion..... :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2048 on: January 18, 2022, 10:15:57 PM »
Tricky corner bits!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Why do I have a flashback  :zap: to the Pink Floyd flying pig airship from my yout' - re the helium / floating Holly model discussion..... :Lol:
Lemme guess, you and your shop elves have matching tie dyed shirts?   :ROFL:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #2049 on: January 19, 2022, 01:06:04 PM »
I'm gonna turn off my phone now - it's obviously been taking photos of me and my shop elves / gnomes and posting them somewhere you can see them - that or your ESP is real strong!  :ROFL:  :cheers:

PS the shirts weren't just (another) laundry error of mine, they're genuine 1970's era tie dye......  :old::Lol:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 01:09:27 PM by cnr6400 »
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2050 on: January 19, 2022, 11:10:38 PM »
And today was 'going round corners' day!

All eight are shaped, ready to drill/tap the holes in the end flanges to attach them to the straight sections (which have not been cut to length yet)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2051 on: January 20, 2022, 02:59:10 PM »
And today is 'bolt the corners on' day!

Two more straight sections to make for the ends, then will take them off to paint the brass corners...

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #2052 on: January 20, 2022, 03:32:01 PM »
Magnificent.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2053 on: January 20, 2022, 03:34:00 PM »
Thanks Stuart!
I'm realizing its a good thing I did all the valve timing work before the platforms, they and the railings would have really been in the way.

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #2054 on: January 20, 2022, 04:32:46 PM »
Chris those corner bits are really nice. Is there a block of metal to make the double 90 connections that are on the outside edges of the flywheels?

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal