Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 155365 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #2025 on: January 16, 2022, 01:07:54 PM »
A no insignificant challenge with a big model such as this is the weight.   No so much you can't lift it, but rather HOW do you lift it     Clearly grabbing the cat walks isn't going to be an option.       If you haven't already, you may want to think about a carry box of some sort...perhaps sooner than later.

Nice work Chris!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2026 on: January 16, 2022, 01:20:40 PM »
A no insignificant challenge with a big model such as this is the weight.   No so much you can't lift it, but rather HOW do you lift it     Clearly grabbing the cat walks isn't going to be an option.       If you haven't already, you may want to think about a carry box of some sort...perhaps sooner than later.

Nice work Chris!

Dave
Hi Dave,

When I made the base, I added thick corner blocks underneath so fingers will fit under the base for lifting. Early on it could be lifted by the frames, but no more. Now, two people can lift it by the base, one at each end. You are right, for traveling it will need a larger base or case with handles.

Chris

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2027 on: January 16, 2022, 08:33:57 PM »
No shop time today - our local RC submarine squadron was at the WinterFest event in Buffalo putting on a show (okay, mainly we were just out playing for the day) at the Tonawanda Aquatic Center pool. In addition to a submarine I took along the Shrimpboat that I showed on this thread a while back, which Thomas had sent me the plywood hull kit and plans for. This was the first time out with the net towing masts in place.

Ran great, all was terrific until a Croc (Gator? Whichever, either way was scary) that was on the run from Don1966's home town:

The captain took one look and high-tailed it for the other side of the pool!   :Lol:

Tomorrow I'll likely get back to the engine catwalks. Maybe tonight do some - there is a big snowstorm moving in tonight that looks like it will dump about a foot and a half in this area, maybe more. Gee, I have to stay home and play in the shop.... Darn!  Nice to have the indoor shop room, it was 5 degrees F when I left for the pool this morning, a backyard shed would be crazy in this kind of weather.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #2028 on: January 16, 2022, 09:02:10 PM »
No shop time today - our local RC submarine squadron was at the WinterFest event in Buffalo putting on a show (okay, mainly we were just out playing for the day) at the Tonawanda Aquatic Center pool. In addition to a submarine I took along the Shrimpboat that I showed on this thread a while back, which Thomas had sent me the plywood hull kit and plans for. This was the first time out with the net towing masts in place.

Ran great, all was terrific until a Croc (Gator? Whichever, either way was scary) that was on the run from Don1966's home town:

The captain took one look and high-tailed it for the other side of the pool!   :Lol:

Tomorrow I'll likely get back to the engine catwalks. Maybe tonight do some - there is a big snowstorm moving in tonight that looks like it will dump about a foot and a half in this area, maybe more. Gee, I have to stay home and play in the shop.... Darn!  Nice to have the indoor shop room, it was 5 degrees F when I left for the pool this morning, a backyard shed would be crazy in this kind of weather.

Hello Chris,
Boy the Shrimp Boat looks really good with all the towers now in place, it really makes the boat look complete.

Try and stay warm and out of the snow.
Thomas
Thomas

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #2029 on: January 17, 2022, 12:09:48 AM »
The shrimp boat looks great Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

The croc may partly explain why it is difficult to find crew for shrimp boats in Tonawanda  :thinking:....or lifeguards, at the pool!  :Lol:     :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2030 on: January 17, 2022, 12:59:30 AM »
Thomas, glad you like it, and thanks again for the kit of parts!  :ThumbsUp:

CNR, up this far north we only grow frozen shrimp!   :Lol:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2031 on: January 17, 2022, 02:21:08 AM »
Love the shrimp boat DOG but what happen to the gator no tail…..LOL..

:cheers:
DON

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2032 on: January 17, 2022, 03:23:16 PM »
Love the shrimp boat DOG but what happen to the gator no tail…..LOL..

:cheers:
DON
Maybe thats why its so angry!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2033 on: January 17, 2022, 03:24:28 PM »
Back on the brackets for the lower catwalk, all are shaped and drilled. Hard to get a good picture with all the shiny surfaces, will take another after tapping the holes in the ends for the rim band and getting a spritz of paint on them...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #2034 on: January 17, 2022, 03:56:35 PM »
Wow Chris- great looking brackets!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Going out now to start "the artefact" as my son, its' current operator, calls our ancient but effective snowblower. Got about 150 mm / 6 inches here overnight. Not as much as the tobogganers / skiers locally had hoped for, but enough for me! Did you get the big dump the Wx folks were predicting?
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2035 on: January 17, 2022, 04:23:20 PM »
Hey Jeff,

Just got back inside after taking my snowblower for a walk up and down the driveway. We have over a foot so far, hear we may get another 6 inches today, though it has stopped for now. Heavy powder snow, so it clears fairly easily. A week ago we got rain then wet snow, that was tough to move. Glad fr a big snowblower and a heavy parka!

Time for lunch!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2036 on: January 17, 2022, 04:38:31 PM »
And the snowplow put 5 inches of snow back in the end of the driveway...  :shrug:

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2037 on: January 17, 2022, 04:58:55 PM »
6" of pure unadulterated supersaturated snow....It's like trying to move a driveway covered in slurpies!

Beat the hell out of the snow blower....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2038 on: January 17, 2022, 05:51:03 PM »
6" of pure unadulterated supersaturated snow....It's like trying to move a driveway covered in slurpies!

Beat the hell out of the snow blower....

Dave
Better than an ice storm though - never want to see another one of those again!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2039 on: January 17, 2022, 08:51:27 PM »
As promised, pic of the brackets after some paint

and I've started putting them on the engine frames

Half are on, half to go. Lots of tiny screws!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal