Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 154193 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #1440 on: October 16, 2021, 08:39:25 PM »
Good stuff CNR!  The packing nut was shown all the way down, but the threads are long enough for the packing yarn - got some graphite twisted stuff for that. On ones in the past I used an o-ring, but that needs a lot more space. I was trying to keep the top post and stem shorter for looks - the way I (and Holly) have it designed, screwing the stem down towards the globe opens the valve, so there needs to be room above the nut for full open travel. Also was trying to match their valve's look, which has a thin valve stem and the housing of the post guide. And, to match thier look, I want to have the bottom cover there. Appreciate the comments though, may use them on valves for other engines!
 :cheers: :cheers:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #1441 on: October 16, 2021, 11:02:44 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline kvom

« Reply #1442 on: October 17, 2021, 07:55:31 AM »
Back when CF was held in York I visited the York museum that has a lot of industrial exhibits.  One is a Corlis used as an ammonia pump that is way different than this.  It's horizontal.

The frame has an extension off to the back leading me to believe there was some mechanism mounted flat there.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #1443 on: October 17, 2021, 12:19:21 PM »
Hi Chris, the oil industry used machines in that configuration.  The vertical cylinders were large gas engines, (meaning they used natural gas fuel), with compressor cylinders horizontal, made by Ingersoll Rand and others.  The compressors were usually gases involved in the oil recovery business.  So this is another example of the format.  Usually installed in trains of two or more in parallel, so there was capacity to shutdown engines one at a time for maintenance without shutting down the whole process.  And they were impressively large.

On the grounds that there is rarely anything new, it would not surprise me if they were preceded by steam engine driven machines. 

Between my eyesight and the picture quality on my screen, I can’t identify the valve gear on that Buffalo engine, and I don’t know the analine dye process, but if they needed a large compressor, it would make sense.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1444 on: October 17, 2021, 12:56:32 PM »
KVOM/MJM, thanks! I'll pass that information back to him. He thinks he has more pictures of that engine in the dye factory, and is looking for them. If he finds them I'll post them here. The engine may still be there, may be able to get there myself for a closer look.

:cheers:
EDIT: Had a wrong name at top - sorry!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 07:48:01 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1445 on: October 17, 2021, 05:06:06 PM »
Good progress on the valve assemblies. Got the openings in the sides of the valve tubes milled in, keeping track to make sure I made two mirrored sets - the side passages need to be on the opposite sides of the cylinder passages for each side of the block.

Also cut the flats on the valve rods, these openings will connect/disconnect the two passages in the tube as the valves rotate. The front ends of the rods were turned down to size, found some o-rings to make the front seal between the tube and the rods too.

Next steps will be to turn the front bonnets, which hold the rods in and support the narrow ends. They have to stick out from the valve block to meet the top ends of the eccentric arms. The bonnets also hold the fixed bits of the cutoff mechanism for the Corliss valves.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1446 on: October 18, 2021, 02:46:45 PM »
More done on the HP cylinder valves, got the front bonnets turned

and the openings in the sides milled in (the main reason for this is that the bonnets extend the valve rods out beyond the engine frame to meet the eccentric rods from the lay shaft)

then drilled the mounting holes

and the matching holes in the valve tubes - all the screw holes were arranged to put the side openings in the correct spot

The first valve assembly ready for final assembly onto the lower cylinder block

Also, my plans source in Buffalo sent me some old pictures of the engines, one of them was taken early on, and shows the original exhaust pipe configuration, from before the output condensor units were added. Originally the exhuast pipe went down to floor level, where there was a small pump that picked up any condensation and pumped it out of the building. All the parts for that pump and piping are in the original plans I have, but I could not figure out how all the parts went together - those pumps and pipes were removed when the condenser units were added. So, will be addressing that in the CAD model - I had put in the mounting point for the pump in the base plate in case I got more information later - looks like its here!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #1447 on: October 18, 2021, 03:18:40 PM »
Hi Chris ,  still following along but really busy doing other things at the moment...there are quite a few globe valves on the new mills engine that I will be making ....!!! so thanks for the drawings Mine have arrows pointing to the flow direction !!

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1448 on: October 18, 2021, 04:02:03 PM »
Hi Chris ,  still following along but really busy doing other things at the moment...there are quite a few globe valves on the new mills engine that I will be making ....!!! so thanks for the drawings Mine have arrows pointing to the flow direction !!

Willy
Excellent!  I'll lbe posting the measured drawings soon, just made some tweaks to them, and want to make one before posting it in case there are more changes. Should be a fairly straightforward one to make, got it figured out so no silver soldering needed, just bolts together now.
Chris

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1449 on: October 18, 2021, 07:08:26 PM »
A few weeks back I was talking about the future build of the Sabino steamship engine, and showed the progress on the CAD drawings. Apparently the shop elves got tired of waiting for that build so they could put the engine in thier fishing boat, stole my credit card (again), and ordered a 3D print of it so they could mock it up in the boat...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #1450 on: October 18, 2021, 08:06:19 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #1451 on: October 18, 2021, 08:45:39 PM »
They stole your card AGAIN?  You sure you don't have some shop gnome infiltrators?

Elf beer runs and 3D prints could get EXPENSIVE, you need to keep that card locked up in a safe.  And get a human-sized retinal scanner installed on the safe, not an elf-sized scanner!  Just be sure there's no IT elves on the scanner installation team because they'd probably just leave a backdoor into the system for their elf buddies to use.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1452 on: October 18, 2021, 08:54:02 PM »
They stole your card AGAIN?  You sure you don't have some shop gnome infiltrators?

Elf beer runs and 3D prints could get EXPENSIVE, you need to keep that card locked up in a safe.  And get a human-sized retinal scanner installed on the safe, not an elf-sized scanner!  Just be sure there's no IT elves on the scanner installation team because they'd probably just leave a backdoor into the system for their elf buddies to use.

Don
I do have the retinal scanner, but they found my magnifying glass and put it between them and the scanner...   :facepalm2:

and they drilled the back wall of the safe....   :facepalm:

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #1453 on: October 19, 2021, 04:02:55 AM »
This is another one of these images that looks OK [or better] upside down  :cartwheel: ......not sure about a few short verticals?? ... Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1454 on: October 19, 2021, 12:30:55 PM »
This is another one of these images that looks OK [or better] upside down  :cartwheel: ......not sure about a few short verticals?? ... Derek
Those inner bits have all been redone and simplified, both for making the parts easier and I had selected one too many sketch regions when doing the rotate operation in the CAD, causing that undercut. That was all fixed yesterday, so no worries.
While waiting for loctite to cure on the cylinder valves, I have started making the globe valves, should be posting the sequence and plans in the next day or so.
Thanks for being another set of eyes on things!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal