Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 155364 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #1245 on: September 25, 2021, 06:10:27 PM »
The rest of the brass bars were bored out

and silver soldering started this morning, beginning with the joint between the two steel pieces. Those are in soaking in vinegar now to clean them up to solder on the brass bars - I might drill the boring starter hole down the center of the center piece first to lighten up the steel a bit, will help get the steel and brass up to temperature more evenly. Then after soldering the taper can be bored through.
While things are in soaking, I started turning the blanks for the center 'pins'

The recess in the center is for the small end bearing from the con-rod, the larger diameter sections outside that will get a taper to match the pieces being soldered, and the ends take the crosshead bearings and nuts.

One down, two to turn to this stage...

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #1246 on: September 26, 2021, 12:34:25 AM »
This project just keeps getting better and better. :pinkelephant:

My only worry is that I don’t know what you can do for your next project that can top this one in complexity, design, and skill.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1247 on: September 26, 2021, 01:04:02 AM »

My only worry is that I don’t know what you can do for your next project that can top this one in complexity, design, and skill.
There are some things in the works that will fill the bill. Some should be revealed Sunday afternoon, the biggie comes later, need to pester my design pusher...  :LittleDevil:

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #1248 on: September 26, 2021, 03:25:16 AM »
oh the force is strong in this one..... 8)     Be careful what you wish for!!!

I'll see if I have copies of those plans ....if I do I'll send them

The last set I sent was to Maryak, ....but alas....my timing was off about 10 years I think..... :(
Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1249 on: September 26, 2021, 03:26:31 AM »

if this is a page....I have an encyclopedia set.......just sayin.....it's coming at you Chris!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1250 on: September 26, 2021, 03:27:22 AM »
Design Pusher?......really?.....
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1251 on: September 26, 2021, 04:13:19 AM »

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #1252 on: September 26, 2021, 04:56:03 AM »
Wow things are really moving along. My laptop died on May 18th and I just got it going again on Friday, Once I got it going again I started back in on your build, now I know what my elves were talking about, ( funny my computer was down but they somehow have a line to your shop elves), now I have to look up that wrench you did.
Great work Chris.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1253 on: September 26, 2021, 01:27:22 PM »
Wow things are really moving along. My laptop died on May 18th and I just got it going again on Friday, Once I got it going again I started back in on your build, now I know what my elves were talking about, ( funny my computer was down but they somehow have a line to your shop elves), now I have to look up that wrench you did.
Great work Chris.
Gerald.
Welcome back Gerald, long time to be offline. Yeah, getting on the interElfnet can be tricky, they hide it well. That wrench handle is a good little project.
This morning we are off to the pond with the rc boats.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #1254 on: September 26, 2021, 04:59:12 PM »
I'm still here following and enjoying  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1255 on: September 26, 2021, 07:55:52 PM »
Hi all,
As mentioned, was out to the pond today with the RC boats, season ender run and picnic with the local club. One new boat for me - last month one of our MEM forum members Thomas, who used to work on the building the real shrimpboats down in Texas sent me the  design and a set of laser-cut plywood panels for a model that he was not able to get to, and I got it assembled and running for this weekend. It still needs all the detail work, radar, lights, fittings, winches, masts, nets, all that stuff, but it was far enough along to get it out for a sea trial. Here is a quick video of it running, performed great (you can tell by the sound that it was a gusty day)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyAGRgEVXxI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyAGRgEVXxI</a>
A still shot

passing a submarine

a RC duck decoy and a flying sub

and a really nice tugboat

A number of others were there too, great day to get out! Also found out that we WILL be able to get back into the pool at the local Y for our monthly runs this next week and through the winter, really missed that last year.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1256 on: September 26, 2021, 08:14:10 PM »
Also, I had mentioned some other projects in the works. I'm ready to show the first one - with a lot of incredible help, pictures, drawings, and advice from our 'Steamer' Dave here on the forum, who used to be the engineer on the steamer Sabino down at Mystic Seaport, I now have enough information to do justice to a scale model of the engine (two cylinder compound by JH Paine) in the Sabino.

That engine is what got me hooked on steam engines as a kid when we visited the Mystic Seaport Museum a number of times - just fascinated me. Back in the early 1980's I did a RC model of the ship using plans that Mystic made available after they did a major restoration. Here are a couple pictures of it when I took it to Mystic, and got a chance to run it with the real one:

Here it is sitting in the engine room during one of the cruises on the river

Here the captain and I were running it next to the real one. Then the next cruise out on the river, he called me up to the pilothouse and had me take the wheel for the cruise (with him right there the whole time of course). I remarked to him that it handled just like the model did...! Quite an experience!

As I said, seeing that steam engine running was what got me hooked on steam, obviously I have not gotten over that yet! Anyway, recently Dave got me some great pictures of the machinery level down in the hull plus some pictures and sketches that another engineer, Greg, had done. Greg built a wonderful cutaway model of the engine, and his sketches were key to getting my design in Fusion going. Here is a screen shot of my CAD version from a week or so ago - more has been done on it since, adding final details and fixing goofs that Dave spotted.

And a short video loop of it animated in Fusion, again this is from an earlier version, more done since then:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHRQoLjcbPY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHRQoLjcbPY</a>
Many thanks to Dave for all his help, would not have been possible without it!!   :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

So, a number of you were asking what I would work on after the Holly engine is done (which will be a while), this engine is one that I've been wanting to build for a long long time, so it is up next in the queue.

There is another one that will probably follow that, details to follow at a future date. Could be a big one.

Chris

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1257 on: September 26, 2021, 11:55:34 PM »
Looks like a great day out at the lake with the RC club!  Thanks for sharing that with us.

And Wow!  That Sabino engine looks like yet another great project!  I'll be watching, when you get to it, of course.  Till then, I'll be excitingly following along on the continuing saga of the Holly Pumping Engine!  :popcorn: :popcorn:

You've got my forum viewing all lined up for me, don't you, Chris!
Kim

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #1258 on: September 27, 2021, 01:06:17 AM »
Also, I had mentioned some other projects in the works. I'm ready to show the first one - with a lot of incredible help, pictures, drawings, and advice from our 'Steamer' Dave here on the forum, who used to be the engineer on the steamer Sabino down at Mystic Seaport, I now have enough information to do justice to a scale model of the engine (two cylinder compound by JH Paine) in the Sabino.

That engine is what got me hooked on steam engines as a kid when we visited the Mystic Seaport Museum a number of times - just fascinated me. Back in the early 1980's I did a RC model of the ship using plans that Mystic made available after they did a major restoration. Here are a couple pictures of it when I took it to Mystic, and got a chance to run it with the real one:

Here it is sitting in the engine room during one of the cruises on the river

Here the captain and I were running it next to the real one. Then the next cruise out on the river, he called me up to the pilothouse and had me take the wheel for the cruise (with him right there the whole time of course). I remarked to him that it handled just like the model did...! Quite an experience!

As I said, seeing that steam engine running was what got me hooked on steam, obviously I have not gotten over that yet! Anyway, recently Dave got me some great pictures of the machinery level down in the hull plus some pictures and sketches that another engineer, Greg, had done. Greg built a wonderful cutaway model of the engine, and his sketches were key to getting my design in Fusion going. Here is a screen shot of my CAD version from a week or so ago - more has been done on it since, adding final details and fixing goofs that Dave spotted.

And a short video loop of it animated in Fusion, again this is from an earlier version, more done since then:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHRQoLjcbPY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHRQoLjcbPY</a>
Many thanks to Dave for all his help, would not have been possible without it!!   :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

So, a number of you were asking what I would work on after the Holly engine is done (which will be a while), this engine is one that I've been wanting to build for a long long time, so it is up next in the queue.

There is another one that will probably follow that, details to follow at a future date. Could be a big one.

Chris
Hi Chris,
What scale are you going to build the engine too,
Pluss will you be doing a RC boat for it?
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1259 on: September 27, 2021, 01:17:58 AM »
Looks like a great day out at the lake with the RC club!  Thanks for sharing that with us.

And Wow!  That Sabino engine looks like yet another great project!  I'll be watching, when you get to it, of course.  Till then, I'll be excitingly following along on the continuing saga of the Holly Pumping Engine!  :popcorn: :popcorn:

You've got my forum viewing all lined up for me, don't you, Chris!
Kim
Its nice to have the next season's viewing planned out before the current season ends, huh?!   :Lol:   I'm going to be busy for a while!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal