Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 155647 times)

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #1020 on: August 25, 2021, 03:35:47 PM »
that looks great Chris!  It's really coming along

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #1021 on: August 25, 2021, 03:44:46 PM »
After you add the penthouse apartment floor at the top for the elves, will it still fit through that door?
Regards,
Ron

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1022 on: August 25, 2021, 03:49:37 PM »
After you add the penthouse apartment floor at the top for the elves, will it still fit through that door?
They prefer a nest like squirrels make, but they use steel wool rather than leaves.   :Lol:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1023 on: August 25, 2021, 03:51:19 PM »
that looks great Chris!  It's really coming along

:cheers:   This is one of those times when the appearance changes all at once! Good time to sit back and admire before making the next parts!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #1024 on: August 25, 2021, 05:12:59 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

>>>>>>>>>>>BAD PUN ALERT<<<<<<<<<<WOOT WOOT WOOT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Be sure and post some photos of those next parts, K?  (sorry) :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1025 on: August 25, 2021, 05:21:52 PM »
:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

>>>>>>>>>>>BAD PUN ALERT<<<<<<<<<<WOOT WOOT WOOT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Be sure and post some photos of those next parts, K?  (sorry) :Lol:
Angry nasty hungry mean shop gnome launching CNR's way now off the gnome-apult....   TWANG!!      Splat!  Oooops, tree....   :LittleDevil:

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #1026 on: August 25, 2021, 05:46:35 PM »
That's looking amazing Chris!   Are you going to steam her or just air?.   That isana.Zingly large engine with Sherline equipment!!!!! :cheers: :AllHailTheKing: :popcornsmall:
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1027 on: August 25, 2021, 06:01:57 PM »
That's looking amazing Chris!   Are you going to steam her or just air?.   That isana.Zingly large engine with Sherline equipment!!!!! :cheers: :AllHailTheKing: :popcornsmall:
I don't have a boiler that would be suitable for this engine, unless I tapped into the Lombard or Mann engine. Am planning just to run it on compressed air. I'll hide air lines direct to the other two cylinders, with needle valves to balance the flows, in the receiver tanks between the cylinders. To keep it looking interesting I may leave off some or all of the lagging on the cylinder level, it makes the engine look like an apartment block (for elves) with all the lagging panels in place. These engines ran slow, in the 12 to 20 rpm range, so hopefully with the large flywheels it will purr along.

The cylinder blocks are going to be interesting to make on the Sherlines, have found some automotive cylinder liners that I will use for the core of the IP and LP cylinders, which would otherwise be tough to turn on a 3" lathe (LP piston is 3" diameter). Thinking of stacking up some plate stock to form the outer jacket for the cylinders, the top/bottom sections were made seperately anyway, with the valves inside them - Corliss on HP/IP, poppet on LP. Thats a ways off though!  Maybe by then I'll find a 1" cylinder liner that will work, have not found one long enough yet, 2-3/8",  without ports in the side. That one could be turned normally though.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 06:06:26 PM by crueby »

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1028 on: August 25, 2021, 06:17:43 PM »
Well...if a certain 9 or 12 lathe needs to be used...let me know....I know a guy..... 8)
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1029 on: August 25, 2021, 06:22:53 PM »
Even if it's to create some "castings".....everything roughed out and you finish it on the Sherline.   
Damned ijjit!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1030 on: August 25, 2021, 06:47:36 PM »
That skyscraper is looking amazing, Chris!  :popcorn: :popcorn:

Yeah, I'll be over to help you move it  ;D

Kim

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1031 on: August 25, 2021, 09:10:35 PM »
Well...if a certain 9 or 12 lathe needs to be used...let me know....I know a guy..... 8)
Isn't the old movie quote something like 'I know a guy who knows a guy who killed a guy...' ?   :Lol:

A friend of mine with a small manufacturing business locally has a humongo lathe, it can take 18" parts through the headstock, which means he could chuck up my lathe and mill, has offered its use anytime for turning/shaping large parts, though I'd be looking around on the cross slide asking 'wheres the lathe?' !! My lathe got carried down the hall to the shop room. His got delivered by huge truck and a crew of riggers - wish I had pictures of it going in!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1032 on: August 26, 2021, 02:48:38 PM »
The Holly build is going to be on hold for several days, my cousin is bringing over some fittings from one of the old mahogany Chris-Craft powerboats he has that need to be remade. Castings that metal fatigued and broke, no replacements available, so I am going to duplicate in stainless bar stock. Will be back on the Holly sometime next week.

:cheers:

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #1033 on: August 26, 2021, 03:02:31 PM »
I'd be interested in some posts about that process. I'm sure you'll do it creatively, artistically, well-engineeredly, and fast.

But I don't want you to waste time away from the Holly, either, I'm spellbound following that......

ShopShoe

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #1034 on: August 29, 2021, 07:29:42 PM »
Good heavens! I've not been on the forum so much lately, so I'm just getting caught up with builds, and I had 4 pages to get through on this one - absolutely amazing - really great to see those frames come together. Brilliant techniques, and the result just speaks for itself. Top shelf as always!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal