Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 156105 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #840 on: July 22, 2021, 03:04:47 PM »
The gear case was sanded and painted, and got it installed this morning. I REALLY need to make that smaller ratchet - getting the screws in on the lower part of the case was tough, not much finger room there. I should have made and installed this when I did the catwalk brackets!  Anyway, here is the lower case in place

and the upper case too. As noted yesterday I am going to wait to drill/install the bearing for the drive shaft in the box sticking up in the upper cover until the engine frames and lay shaft are in place, since any slight variation in that angle would bind things up - better to wait and check the actual dimensions/angle before drilling that hole rather than depend on the plans, lots of parts in between and lots of tolerances that could stack up.

After lunch I think I'll get the crankshaft bearings lapped in...

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #841 on: July 22, 2021, 06:19:23 PM »
...I REALLY need to make that smaller ratchet - getting the screws in on the lower part of the case was tough, not much finger room there. ...

I've often wondered why those import 4mm sets didn't include a ratchet for jobs like you're encountering.

I wouldn't mind having one but don't feel like making it from scratch as you intend to do.  I have a wrench similar to this one...

https://www.amazon.com/MulWark-Profile-Ratchet-Quarters-Screwdriver/dp/B07D4DZB1T/ref=sr_1_13?crid=1SY57AG4V54XD&dchild=1&keywords=mini+ratchet+wrench+set&qid=1626972790&sprefix=mini+ratchet+wr%2Caps%2C238&sr=8-13

I would take a bit of 1/4" brass hex, drill it out to 4mm, and use the vise to press in a T25 Torx bit to start "hexifying" the hole which would then be filed to shape.  A thin sheet metal cover on one end to keep the bits from sliding through and then size this to the thickness of the hex socket in the wrench.

If I cut down the shafts on the 4mm bits, I think I could get this arrangement into a 5/8" slot.

Just brainstorming right now.  I'm waiting to see what you devise and/or the clever Asians introducing one.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #842 on: July 22, 2021, 06:49:19 PM »
Chris:

When I saw your ratchet design it never tripped any alarm bells for me.  However, when I saw Marv's link it reminded me of what I picked up at Lowes a couple of years ago.  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-35-Piece-Standard-SAE-and-Metric-Polished-Chrome-Mechanics-Tool-Set/3387640?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-tol-_-google-_-pla-_-218-_-mechanicstools-_-3387640-_-0&placeholder=null&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=CjwKCAjwruSHBhAtEiwA_qCppjYYZ4et__dH-wQO6l-vncrVx6KPnltpfuDGHhTVbF9lvAw-jo3kUxoC9i4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds (MAN they pack a lot of junk into that link!)

At $20 you're not out much if it doesn't work for the Holly.  I don't use mine a lot, but when I need to get to a screw in a confined space it's the goto.  (It's not worth much on a rusted screw in a bad spot, but then what is?)

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #843 on: July 22, 2021, 06:52:59 PM »
...I REALLY need to make that smaller ratchet - getting the screws in on the lower part of the case was tough, not much finger room there. ...

I've often wondered why those import 4mm sets didn't include a ratchet for jobs like you're encountering.

I wouldn't mind having one but don't feel like making it from scratch as you intend to do.  I have a wrench similar to this one...

https://www.amazon.com/MulWark-Profile-Ratchet-Quarters-Screwdriver/dp/B07D4DZB1T/ref=sr_1_13?crid=1SY57AG4V54XD&dchild=1&keywords=mini+ratchet+wrench+set&qid=1626972790&sprefix=mini+ratchet+wr%2Caps%2C238&sr=8-13

I would take a bit of 1/4" brass hex, drill it out to 4mm, and use the vise to press in a T25 Torx bit to start "hexifying" the hole which would then be filed to shape.  A thin sheet metal cover on one end to keep the bits from sliding through and then size this to the thickness of the hex socket in the wrench.

If I cut down the shafts on the 4mm bits, I think I could get this arrangement into a 5/8" slot.

Just brainstorming right now.  I'm waiting to see what you devise and/or the clever Asians introducing one.
Hi Marv,
That style ratchet is close, but the 1/4" bits make it a little too big - I also wish Wiha made a mini one. They do have a ratchet, but its bulky - their main market is computer techs, that sort of thing, so its fine for that.
Interesting idea to 'forge' out the center. I did do a custom cutter sort of like a keyway cutter for the Marion engines (with help from this forum) that worked well. A similar cutter for the 4mm hex seems do-able. Hmmmm....  I was planning to take a spare extension rod from their set and cut it off and insert it into the gear. Lots of ways to peal that feline, I guess! 

I'm almost at a good breaking point on this build to spin off to the side and make the ratchet handle - will post the results and plans for everyone here. The plans I've drawn up get it down to a .45" wide by .225" thick body, could go narrower with exposing the gear on the sides like the one you linked to.
I have not gotten to lapping the crank bearings this afternoon, had to do some reloading for a shoot tonight, and ran into an issue with the press - have to replace the indexing pawl, which is worn out on the end. Spent a fair bit of time diagnosing that, by the time all that is done it will be time to head out. More tomorrow!
 :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #844 on: July 22, 2021, 06:55:52 PM »
Chris:

When I saw your ratchet design it never tripped any alarm bells for me.  However, when I saw Marv's link it reminded me of what I picked up at Lowes a couple of years ago.  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-35-Piece-Standard-SAE-and-Metric-Polished-Chrome-Mechanics-Tool-Set/3387640?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-tol-_-google-_-pla-_-218-_-mechanicstools-_-3387640-_-0&placeholder=null&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=CjwKCAjwruSHBhAtEiwA_qCppjYYZ4et__dH-wQO6l-vncrVx6KPnltpfuDGHhTVbF9lvAw-jo3kUxoC9i4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds (MAN they pack a lot of junk into that link!)

At $20 you're not out much if it doesn't work for the Holly.  I don't use mine a lot, but when I need to get to a screw in a confined space it's the goto.  (It's not worth much on a rusted screw in a bad spot, but then what is?)

Don
Hi Don,
That type of set is something I already have, its too large to get into these spaces. The Wiha bits are .157" (4mm) across the flats vs .25" on the normal sets, and the ratchet handle end on those is quite large compared to what I need.  The one I've designed is about half the size - will see how it holds up, should be a fun experiment at least!
 :cheers:

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #845 on: July 22, 2021, 07:32:44 PM »
When you make the ratchet, be sure you chrome plate it and engrave the handle with the "Snap-On" logo.  It'll make the elves feel important 'cause you only get the best for them.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #846 on: July 22, 2021, 07:54:16 PM »
When you make the ratchet, be sure you chrome plate it and engrave the handle with the "Snap-On" logo.  It'll make the elves feel important 'cause you only get the best for them.
:ROFL:
The mini combination wrenches I have (1/8", etc) are snap-on. Maybe for this one I'lll engrave it Snap-Off.   :LittleDevil:

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #847 on: July 22, 2021, 08:36:48 PM »
Just so long as they don't take the Snap-Off as literal instructions.  It's bad enough having them tighten the screws in those locations to 1/4 turn before it breaks, let alone trying to extract a busted screw from there.  Might just have a wildcat strike on your hands if that happens.

Online cnr6400

« Reply #848 on: July 22, 2021, 09:37:10 PM »
You could stamp it "PROTO" similar to the alternate well known tool brand to Scrap All tools. After all, it IS a proto, being the first one......  :Lol:   :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline samc88

« Reply #849 on: July 23, 2021, 07:59:32 AM »
Nice work on the flywheels, always amazes me at how you can make such large pieces on such small equipment. Nice feature being able to rotate the headstock

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #850 on: July 23, 2021, 01:49:29 PM »
Nice work on the flywheels, always amazes me at how you can make such large pieces on such small equipment. Nice feature being able to rotate the headstock
Thanks! That headstock feature has come in handy on a number of projects. At least for the ratchet handle project the parts will be smaller than the machines for once!

After the conversations yesterday and Marvs suggestion on the tool holder piece, the shop elves and I got to doing some brainstorming over thimble-steins of Elfenstiener beer for some improvements to my initial SnapToff ratchet design. Looks like it can be smaller and simpler, getting that drawn up now...

Online cnr6400

« Reply #851 on: July 23, 2021, 08:23:14 PM »
How many times during the ratchet brainstorming session did the shop elves suggest breaking away for another Mann truck run for more Elfensteiner stubbies? (or did they stock up beforehand?)  :Lol:   :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #852 on: July 23, 2021, 09:08:27 PM »
How many times during the ratchet brainstorming session did the shop elves suggest breaking away for another Mann truck run for more Elfensteiner stubbies? (or did they stock up beforehand?)  :Lol:   :cheers:
They had a full truck full when we started. They are off again refilling it now!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #853 on: July 23, 2021, 09:14:38 PM »
Today got the crankshaft bearings lapped in, started with the coarse grade of Timesavers powder and oil and worked down to the fine grades. Then took the plunge and cut the center section of the main shaft away from the webs - all good fortunately! Still a nervous cut. I sawed away the bulk, then used the mill to trim the cut ends back flush with the webs.

Here it is on the bearings

Right now am getting the flywheels painted, here is one done, other one is in process. I used the mandrel with the taper hub as a stand to keep it off the paint table.

Tomorrow the paint will be cured up enough to assemble the flywheels on to the crankshaft and attach the end cranks too.

So, that left me with time for the ratchet redraw in Fusion - am going to start a new thread for that build - should be a fairly quick one assuming it works as planned.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #854 on: July 23, 2021, 11:13:04 PM »
No surprise, I couldn't wait till tomorrow to get the flywheels and crankshaft assembled and on the engine:

A quick video proving that yup, they do go round and round!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8SbWS0dmHI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8SbWS0dmHI</a>

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal