Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 155568 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #810 on: July 18, 2021, 01:45:17 PM »
And finishing up the first flywheel, with the rim down to diameter the near side was trimmed off, flattening the side shapes and taking it to width

then switched to a boring bar to reach the back side too

That completes the lathe work for the first flywheel - it still needs sanding/filing on the spokes. The swarf monster has grown, the wheel casting has gone from 7.2 pounds to 4 pounds!  Next step, pick up the monster and transfer him to a bag for disposal... Not sure if the local Animal Control will take him.

So, here is the first flywheel set in place on the crankshaft:

and a closeup of where the lay shaft drive gear will sit - I need to drill some holes for pins to hold it to the flywheel.

Now? On to flywheel number two. But first, our RC submarine group is meeting out at the pond today. If the rain keeps up, we'll be sitting under the picnic pavillion yakking rather than letting the submarines get wet.   :headscratch:    :thinking:    :insane:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #811 on: July 18, 2021, 03:34:42 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Hope the weather is sub-stantially sunny today for RC sub activities.
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #812 on: July 18, 2021, 06:01:05 PM »

Hope the weather is sub-stantially sunny today for RC sub activities.
The sun sub-stituted for the rain, perfect weather! 4 inches of rain yesterday, more predicted today but it ended at about 8.

Offline john mills

« Reply #813 on: July 19, 2021, 02:11:07 AM »
The flywheel is looking  impressive now.   
The swarf looks like a part catcher to me reminds me of a job i had at one time  we made piston rings and seals we kept a pile of swarf like that  in the cnc lathe with live tooling i run.
to catch the parts as they were completed and parted off   the swarf was soft to catch the part then would be covered
to be protected from the next part.  bronze  white metal and mainly teflon based materials .which were easily
marked and scratched. the machine supplier thought we were strange we were the only customer that did that.
most people want the conveyer to take the swarf out of the machine.
      John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #814 on: July 19, 2021, 03:06:04 AM »
The flywheel is looking  impressive now.   
The swarf looks like a part catcher to me reminds me of a job i had at one time  we made piston rings and seals we kept a pile of swarf like that  in the cnc lathe with live tooling i run.
to catch the parts as they were completed and parted off   the swarf was soft to catch the part then would be covered
to be protected from the next part.  bronze  white metal and mainly teflon based materials .which were easily
marked and scratched. the machine supplier thought we were strange we were the only customer that did that.
most people want the conveyer to take the swarf out of the machine.
      John
Interesting! That pile of bronze is amazingly soft, sounds like a good use for it.

:cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #815 on: July 19, 2021, 03:49:06 PM »
Got a start on the second flywheel - this one is going much faster, in part to changing the belt to a slower range for more power and less motor overheating, and part to zip-tying some foam and wood panels on the spokes, which dampens the vibrations down a lot. The part would ring like a bell when struck just sitting there clamped in the chuck, and when cutting it would hit the resonance frequency and force me to slow the cut a lot. With the damping effect the cutting is going a lot faster and is leaving a smoother finish. If this was a freelance design I'd stop here on the flywheel, but for scale accuracy it still needs to come down more in both directions, should have it finished up this afternoon or evening.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #816 on: July 19, 2021, 03:53:43 PM »
And save the date - looks like the Living History Days event up at the Maine logging museum is tentatively scheduled for October 2nd and 3rd. This is their biggest event for the year, lots of things going on both days. I am planning on going again this year, great fun volunteering on the Lombard Crew to run the steam and two gas powered machines. This fall they are starting work on a new road and display pavillion for the Lombards, better running road plus it gets them out of the parking areas.

This Saturday, July 24, is their Heavy Metal event, also a great time.

If you are near Maine, well worth the trip up!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #817 on: July 19, 2021, 05:45:59 PM »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #818 on: July 19, 2021, 11:56:15 PM »
Just finished up the lathe work on the second flywheel. The foam/wood additions really made a huge difference, got rid of the bell ringing vibrations and made for much faster and smoother cuts.

and here they are test fit on the crankshaft:

All clears well, really changes the look. Still to do on the flywheels, sand/file the spokes, attach the lay shaft drive gear to the HP side flywheel, and attach them to the crankshaft. Thinking that I would make a small wedge key to keep the tapers pushed into place. Then I can get the bearing halves pinned to the beds and caps, and start lapping the bearings in. Given how a single flywheel made the lathe turn for 30 or 40 seconds after turning off the power, two flywheels in place should make spinning things to lap the bearings very easy - as well as giving an easy way to grab on to turn them. The crank ends need to be pinned into place too. Since I am going to make the drive gear cover in top/bottom halves, that can be done later, just before bolting the bearing caps down for good. Oh, and oil holes in the bearings. Lets see, must be something else.... Oh yeah! Need to paint the flywheels!  Lots to keep track of at this stage. Whoops - need to cut the main shaft where it goes through the center web too - that will make the center con rod work a WHOLE lot better!  Must be more too...   :stickpoke:

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #819 on: July 20, 2021, 12:06:05 AM »
Wow! That really changes the appearance.  Great looking flywheels.  Pity they have to be painted over a point of history.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #820 on: July 20, 2021, 12:17:35 AM »
Wow! That really changes the appearance.  Great looking flywheels.  Pity they have to be painted over a point of history.

MJM460
I'll leave it to George to make the mini all-polished-brass version!  That would really be something to see!  I'm going for the look of the real one so the iron-paint is necessary, if a little dull. Too bad they didn't pick out the frames and cylinders in red and green, something like that. The Allis engine in Boston is much more colorful looking, even with just the white decks with red edges.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #821 on: July 20, 2021, 01:19:05 AM »

Hi Chris, at final assembly are the spokes of the two flywheels aligned to each others' spokes or are they set at 30 degrees or some other angle apart? And are the spokes "timed" in line with the crank throws?  Just was thinking about it.  :thinking:  :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #822 on: July 20, 2021, 01:25:22 AM »

Hi Chris, at final assembly are the spokes of the two flywheels aligned to each others' spokes or are they set at 30 degrees or some other angle apart? And are the spokes "timed" in line with the crank throws?  Just was thinking about it.  :thinking: :cheers:
They are aligned with each other. On the original, they were constructed in two halves and joined with splines on the rim and bolts at the hub. There were keyways in one side of the hub and in a line on the crankshaft, so they would always go on aligned. I was wondering the same thing when I first put the two flywheels on for the picture, and went back to look at the plans and photos! Dont know if this was an intentional thing for some resonance reason, or just an artifact of the casting/machining process. The keyways are aligned with the pin end of the center web, 120 degrees from the end cranks which are evenly spaced around the circle. The mass is evenly distributed around the flywheels, and the cranks do not have any counterweights.

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #823 on: July 20, 2021, 02:44:12 AM »
Those look absolutely massive when compared to the person sized steps! Gives a great sense of scale to the whole thing.
Regards,
Ron

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #824 on: July 20, 2021, 03:00:12 AM »
They are sure a sizable flywheel in scale

I remember as an apprentice 55+ years ago [Saturday overtime  :Love:-  maintenance day] checking on the drip feed lubrication to the outboard bush bearings to two [2] large, low speed Broom & Wade air compressor, with each having a single flywheel [about 8' diameter - quite a bit taller :Lol: than me] and each wheel had a series of 1/2" drillings around the outer edge near the major OD.......these were balance drillings performed during the assembly of the compressor [in London UK in the 1920's?]

What is the actual weight of each of your scale flywheels?........ :shrug: might be interesting to spin each wheel [individually]  in the machines bushes [dummy shaft] with a variable speed source [drill?] and bring the wheels up to the nominal 100?? RPM & see what happens

Derek

« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 03:22:20 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal