Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 154158 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #570 on: June 08, 2021, 08:44:31 PM »
Almost done with the pump level on the Holly engine. I got the hoses installed on the output pipes, and the Y pipe bolted on the output side. Just need to make the supports that go from the tops of the pump chambers up to the engine beds - these beams hold the pump chambers down when lifting the plungers, and support the middle of the engine beds when pushing the plungers down.

So, the shop elves got busy cutting down the bar stock for the supports and also the engine beds - going to have to stress relieve them in the oven, and might as well do the lot in one heating. Here they are cutting the bars to rough length. As you can see, they are not too bright about where they hang out while I am running the saw (they cant reach the switch, probably a good thing)

And the foreseeable result when the cut was done....

They think that O.S.H.A. stands for Order Several Halfpints'a Ale!   :Lol:
After taking all the bars down to the kitchen in the service elevator for baking (500F for an hour and cooling), they got out the Lombard Truck to take them back to the workshop again

where they unloaded them and put them up on the bench to study the plans some more

While they were looking at the plans, I got the first of the support beams roughed out on the mill - the top end is a little long, will trim that to close fit once the engine beds are done.

The engine beds are going to be fun to machine, here is what they look like:

The cranks spin in the center openings, and note that there are no bearings at the outer ends but rather open cranks. The main parts of the beds are going to be cut from 3/4" thick x 3" wide bar, with another 3/4" square bar added underneath the bearings to form the part that hanges down in the center. Another piece will be added for the areas where the bearings stick up above. So, good reason for the elves to be studying those plans!

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #571 on: June 08, 2021, 09:51:05 PM »
If shop elves are subject to cartoon physics, then that guy must have hung there for awhile after the brass dropped, until he finally realized what happened.  --Tim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #572 on: June 08, 2021, 10:54:20 PM »
If shop elves are subject to cartoon physics, then that guy must have hung there for awhile after the brass dropped, until he finally realized what happened.  --Tim
So funny when he holds up the little sign before he falls.... 

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #573 on: June 09, 2021, 12:28:28 AM »
This ol' world needs more elves to lighten things up a little. Thanks for the laugh Chris!
Regards,
Ron

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #574 on: June 09, 2021, 06:08:25 PM »
This morning got the rest of the vertical supports shaped and started drilling the mounting holes in the ends. After that is done I'll get the corners eased on the sander, and then start on the engine beds.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #575 on: June 09, 2021, 11:32:01 PM »
Got the rest of the holes in the vertical pump supports drilled, the corners sanded, and a coat of paint on. Here is one pair set in place - after the engine beds are made the top ends will be trimmed to fit the space. Given that there are SO many pieces between  all these parts (engine beds, top plates, frame legs, base plates, pump bodies, brackets) I don't want to depend on the plan dimensions for a close fit, better to wait and measure to be sure. They should be very close as per plans, but all it takes is a few thou out to leave a gap.

This evening I am working with my lead shop elf foreman to plan out the order of milling the blank plates for the engine beds. Getting it written down so the Elfenstiener hangovers dont make us forget! 

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #576 on: June 10, 2021, 12:00:25 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

It's looking great Chris!
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #577 on: June 10, 2021, 12:10:31 AM »
:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

It's looking great Chris!
Thanks CNR, I think it's a ways ahead of my original thinking timewise, the printed housings really took a lot of time off my guestimates. Rest of the model is all metal, so the printer will be used for more submarine parts and shop elf furniture. ... Hey, how'd that get in there?! Dang elves have hacked my password again!   :Lol:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #578 on: June 10, 2021, 05:28:11 AM »
That is looking great, Chris!
It's going to be packed in there, isn't it?!

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #579 on: June 10, 2021, 03:55:44 PM »
That is looking great, Chris!
It's going to be packed in there, isn't it?!

Kim
Yeah, its going to be a tight fit to get the rods between the pump plungers and the crossheads in, as well as the bolts for holding the engine beds and top plates in - not a lot of finger room in between all the frames and pipes!  Here is an old photo, I think this one was from the factory where they built the engines at the Cincinatti water works, different brand but similar design. not a lot of space in there!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #580 on: June 10, 2021, 03:59:38 PM »
So, with the pump level of the model done, time to start in on the actual engine!   :whoohoo:
This morning I got started milling the recess on the ends of the engine bed plates, to let them fit over the plates that sit on top of the pump frames. Those plates take bolts from underneath to connect the frames, and from the top to connect to the beds. I think I have the sequence to mill the shapes in worked out, time will tell! There are three of these bed plates to make, so will do the same operations on all three before moving on to the next step. The bed plates are too wide for my normal mill vise so I had to break out the bigger one.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #581 on: June 11, 2021, 05:53:33 PM »
Yesterday got the rest of the recesses in the bottom of the bed plates, then laid out and drilled holes in the center for attaching to the faceplate for cutting the radii on the ends later. To index the plates in the vise, I lined up the edge of the recess with the back corner of the vise using a parallel plate, then found the center of the section between the recesses and the sides using a center finder (foreground)

Once the center was found and the handwheels zeroed, I could swap between plates by lining up that back corner of the recess to the vise edge. Drilled the rest of the faceplate holes in each one.

Now I am going through each plate and drilling the mounting holes for the upper and lower frames. I took the time to make up a road map sheet for all the moves, visible at upper right, starting at the center hole, around the pattern to all the holes. My version of CNC - Count Number Cranks, with the roadmap giving the number of full turns and what handwheel tick to stop on for each hole. Then back to the center hole to repeat for the other side, and repeat all that for each end of each plate.

One end of one plate down, five more ends to go...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #582 on: June 13, 2021, 03:07:48 PM »
Next step on the engine beds is to mill in the recesses to form the raised paids on the top surface. After measuring out and drawing on the outlines, I went around the edges with a small end mill to leave just a small radius on the inside corners. The bar across the center between the corner pads was outlined with straight lines for now, later on those will be changed to arcs centered on the middle of the plate - will do that when set up to put the arcs on the ends of the plates.

Once all the outlines were done, switched to a larger diameter end mill and started removing the background, starting at the ends.

then moved the plate out so that I could start the center section from the side - wanted to leave the cutter depth set throughout.

There was enough reach to get partway past the center, then turned the plate around to get the other end. So far have two of the three bed plates up to this stage.

The raised section in the center will be cut away to leave the opening for the crank, so no need to recess that as well. Next up, I am going set up the rotary table to mill the arcs on the ends of the plates and put the arcs into the raised sections between the corner pads. After that can cut out the center openings, and start work on adding the bars on the sides for the lower arcs and the bearing blocks on the top sides. Lots to go on these parts!

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #583 on: June 13, 2021, 04:18:58 PM »
Hi Chris, looks good so far. Are you counting cranks, or just working to the lines?
Regards,
Ron

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #584 on: June 13, 2021, 04:48:33 PM »
That's a great start on those engine beds.  There's going to be a lot of steps involved in those parts!

Enjoying following along   :popcorn: :popcorn:

Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal