Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 154190 times)

Offline cnr6400

Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #405 on: May 04, 2021, 12:20:23 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #406 on: May 04, 2021, 03:33:48 AM »
Dog you just amaze me……… :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #407 on: May 04, 2021, 03:42:39 AM »
Dog you just amaze me……… :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

Thanks Don!   I'm waiting for you to come over and polish these pump parts....  :Lol:   Too late, they'll be painted by the time you get up here!

:cheers:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #408 on: May 04, 2021, 06:25:29 AM »
Well, Chris, you get more done in one relaxing read/nap day afternoon than I get done in two weeks!

The suite of parts sure look nice sitting there all in a row!   :popcorn: :popcorn:

Kim

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #409 on: May 04, 2021, 02:05:12 PM »
Well, Chris, you get more done in one relaxing read/nap day afternoon than I get done in two weeks!

The suite of parts sure look nice sitting there all in a row!   :popcorn: :popcorn:

Kim
Shows the power of the nap. And the chocolate chip cookie.
 :DrinkPint:

Online Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #410 on: May 04, 2021, 02:57:28 PM »
Chris--I'm following along, amazed at your energy and machining capabilities. Keep up the good work.---Brian

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #411 on: May 04, 2021, 08:33:26 PM »
Thanks Brian!  More time spent doing errands and putting together new shelves for the wood shop than time on this model today, but I did get the holes drilled in the tops of the side brackets. Not enough height to put the collet in the vise in normal position, so I set up the larger vise on its side:

Get them tapped, then I think it will be time to get the pump chambers painted!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #412 on: May 05, 2021, 07:04:55 PM »
With the pump chambers all shaped, and the blanks for the check valves turned to OD and thier chambers bored into the center, time to mill in the flats on the outside of the inlet chambers for where they will bolt to the pipes on the pump chambers. More assembly-line milling, getting the cutter depth set then going through all the parts.

Then drilled the holes for the mounting bolts, and relieved the inside where the screw heads will land on the inside wall. Here is the first one test fit on a pump chamber:

There will be a thin rubber gasket to seal around that connection, as well as between the check valve layers. Next will be to cut the openings in the flats just milled for the water to flow through, then can start cutting the valve ball seats in the bottoms of the chambers. There will be posts next to the valve seats to keep the balls from moving sideways too far.

Offline kuhncw

« Reply #413 on: May 05, 2021, 07:26:37 PM »
Very nice work, Chris.

Chuck

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #414 on: May 05, 2021, 09:20:41 PM »

Better lock those assemblies in a cupboard after hours or they may be full of Elfensteiner stubby  empties in the morning!   :Lol: :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #415 on: May 05, 2021, 09:46:44 PM »

Better lock those assemblies in a cupboard after hours or they may be full of Elfensteiner stubby  empties in the morning!   :Lol: :cheers:
With the pipes out each side, its funny to watch the elves try and drink from it like a mug - giant dribble glasses!   :Lol:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #416 on: May 05, 2021, 09:47:44 PM »
Very nice work, Chris.

Chuck
Thanks Chuck!

Got a coat of paint on the pump chambers, really look different than the raw brass. Pics tomorrow after it cures up.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #417 on: May 08, 2021, 04:39:54 PM »
Not much to show the last few days, lots of drilling/tapping holes in the check valve chambers... Got them all done finally, ready to start making the fittings for the top/bottoms of them that will attach them to the pipes between them for inlet/outflow. And all the drilling/tapping required there!

The check valve chambers each have four balls for increasing the flow possible. Had to put posts (stainless screws) between the holes to keep the balls in position. There are two sets of check valves, one either side of the pump chambers, just like on the original engine, for maximum capacity - going to be tedious putting them all together! The top connection to the pipe has to go in first, then the top cap will bolt to that, then the inlet check valve can be bolted to the pump chamber pipe, then all the sections get long screws through to bolt all of them together, followed by the connection to the inlet pipe at the bottom. I'm sure that all makes no sense, will take pictures of the sequence when all that happens in another week or so. For now, a big pile of parts, with more to come for the top/bottom connections!

Also, got some paint on the pipe chambers:

The frame legs on one side will have to come off to get it all assembled, since the pipe sections between the housings are already bolted on - the shop elves drew the line at crawling between all the parts with a small wrench to put in all 3.8 million bolts/nuts.

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #418 on: May 08, 2021, 05:29:05 PM »
Chris, Don't get me wrong, your work has always been outstanding, but I'm sure I detect your finishes getting even better!   --Tim

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #419 on: May 08, 2021, 06:04:50 PM »
Chris, Don't get me wrong, your work has always been outstanding, but I'm sure I detect your finishes getting even better!   --Tim
Been doing some tweaking on the gobs and backlash adjusters, also put in a new insert, which helps. Still learning about lathe and feed speeds, just going to have to keep practicing! Darn, gotta make more parts...  :Lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal