Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 154129 times)

Online Bluechip

• Derbyshire
Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #345 on: April 21, 2021, 03:32:15 PM »
Hi Chris

I'm most intrigued by that solenoid motor.  :cartwheel:

I seem to have seen one very similar, maybe on the John Jenkins site (?).

Makes a refreshing change from all the 'pistoney' gubbins that infests this site ....  ;D  ;D  :paranoia:

Dave

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #346 on: April 21, 2021, 03:37:48 PM »
Are you sure they didn't 3D print all that?
Maybe they collected pillows from around the neighborhood and shredded them...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #347 on: April 21, 2021, 03:39:32 PM »
Hi Chris

I'm most intrigued by that solenoid motor.  :cartwheel:

I seem to have seen one very similar, maybe on the John Jenkins site (?).

Makes a refreshing change from all the 'pistoney' gubbins that infests this site ....  ;D ;D :paranoia:

Dave
I don't recall whose engine that is, good chance someone here remembers or its thiers! It is one of many I took pictures of at Cabin Fever.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #348 on: April 21, 2021, 05:24:05 PM »
I don't think that Snow from cabin fever is going to melt though.....   :Lol:

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #349 on: April 21, 2021, 06:17:04 PM »
I don't think that Snow from cabin fever is going to melt though.....   :Lol:

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

No, but it will “melt our hearts!”
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #350 on: April 21, 2021, 08:25:41 PM »
Still snowing outside, so a good day to play in the shops. Did a coupl emore sessions and have the four holes bored out in the first of the pump chambers. The flanges at the bottom of the holes is being left in, they will keep the pipe sections in place during silver soldering later, after squaring up the flat sides of the holes. For now, I am going to bore the same holes in the other two pump chambers, since the mill is all set up for that operation.

Between sessions on the mill, I got coats of paint on all the 3D printed valve chambers/force chambers/pipes - this is the same iron color as was used on the frames. The shop elves approve of their new climbing jungle...

'

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #351 on: April 22, 2021, 12:30:10 AM »
The solenoid engine is not- its an electric motor.  It was built by Joe Higgins of Portland Maine. So is the Snow engine in that photo. Joe does amazing work. Joe did a couple old electric motors, mostly copied form photos or old patent drawings.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #352 on: April 22, 2021, 12:43:27 AM »
The solenoid engine is not- its an electric motor.  It was built by Joe Higgins of Portland Maine. So is the Snow engine in that photo. Joe does amazing work. Joe did a couple old electric motors, mostly copied form photos or old patent drawings.
I remember walking down the line of tables, stopping at his and going Oooohhhh!  Very well done!

Online Bluechip

• Derbyshire

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #354 on: April 22, 2021, 09:54:20 PM »
Continuing on today with boring the holes in the sides of the pump chambers - three of four holes done in chamber two. Looks just like the pictures I posted yesterday...

Also spent some time in Fusion designing up the check valve sets for them. Lots to work out, to make it so they can be assembled into the 3D printed housings and be able to get at the screws, room for seals, all that.

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #355 on: April 23, 2021, 12:38:06 AM »
Wow!  I don't know how I missed this build, but I've just read all the posts and I must say, I'm most impressed!  The complexity and build quality are simply astonishing!  I'll be carefully following along as you progress.  Again, fantastic work!

Mike.
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #356 on: April 23, 2021, 12:45:28 AM »
Wow!  I don't know how I missed this build, but I've just read all the posts and I must say, I'm most impressed!  The complexity and build quality are simply astonishing!  I'll be carefully following along as you progress.  Again, fantastic work!

Mike.

Thanks Mike!  Great to have you along. Maybe you were so focused on your Webster  you didn't look around.   :Lol:   plenty of time to catch up, this build is going to be going a ling time!

:cheers:

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #357 on: April 23, 2021, 01:02:28 AM »
Looking good Chris.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #358 on: April 23, 2021, 02:31:59 AM »
Looking good Chris.

-Bob
Thanks Bob!   :cheers:

I got the design done for the check valves, and will print a prototype to confirm that it works, fits, and that I'll be able to get the fasteners in and tightened when in the housings. Should save a lot of time and metal if it turns out that there is an issue with the design - once I start making the real parts, it will be more mass production of each one so would not know of any problems till they were all made. Lots of bits that have to be assembled together in a small space.

More important, looks like middle of next week we are back to warm summer weather again! Couple days ago I mowed the lawn, then watched  it get covered in 4 inches of snow. The fun of New England weather!

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #359 on: April 23, 2021, 04:09:03 AM »
Chris...you earlier mentioned of the unique design and of the large number of check valves...this obviously was a considerably difficult solution to harness  :killcomputer:

If you have 100 .... :slap: 1000 gallons of pump displacement per revolution .......this equates to ~~ 3800l litre  :ThumbsUp: or 3.8 tonnes of water coming to a series of dead-head stops within the valving and pipework, hence the considerable size/voulme of the 3 expansion [fluid accumulators]

I suspected 90% of the banging/crashing noise in Part 1 Video was from downstairs [within the water elements] with the actual steam engines being a series of substantial  woosh......woosh......woosh noises only

Derek

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 09:49:27 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal