Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 154153 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #315 on: April 17, 2021, 04:05:32 PM »
Crueby, are you going to use these as is? or use them as patterns?

Dave
As is - at least with some sanding and finishing. I dont have the equipment or knowledge for casting. There will be piping and check valves inside these housings that connect to the metal pump chamber in the center. The way that the housings and pipe sections fit together I'll be able to open them up for access - more on that when I get farther along on the check valves.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #316 on: April 17, 2021, 04:51:11 PM »
Chris

Which slicer software are you using ?
I have just been printing some of the pipework for Agnes using Cura 4.8.0 on my Ender 3 V2 which I have just bought, but am wondering whether to try other slicers as well.

Your prints look to be coming out very well, it is going to be an impressive model.

Phil

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #317 on: April 17, 2021, 05:17:35 PM »
Chris

Which slicer software are you using ?
I have just been printing some of the pipework for Agnes using Cura 4.8.0 on my Ender 3 V2 which I have just bought, but am wondering whether to try other slicers as well.

Your prints look to be coming out very well, it is going to be an impressive model.

Phil
This is the Prusa slicer, came with the printer. Don't know if the support other brand printers, worth a look. Works well.

Offline kvom

« Reply #318 on: April 17, 2021, 10:25:22 PM »
Pretty muchj the same Kvom - with any of the apps and thier tools, sure there are multiple ways to do it. The thing I struggled with at first was how to have the two pipes angle off but leaving that center area clear, thats why I did the cut and mirror.

Yes.  If you loft both ID/OD of both pipes you'd get solid blockage at the joint. 

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #319 on: April 18, 2021, 12:56:25 AM »
Ahah....I see it all now.."It lays down 0.2mm tall layers of plastic at a time" ....

I couldn't visualise how the print head got down there in the V of the valley of the spool  :facepalm: ....it didn't!,  as the depth of the V was only 0.2mm tall on each horizontal pass  :ThumbsUp:

Must admit, the horizontal build lines in your image helped me  :Director:

[so for every 1" in spool height  approx 125 x   :wallbang: as horizontal deposit passes]
[6H:53m print time with 23.7% of time being the support structure  :ROFL:]

Carry on...no more interruptions from me [for a while]

Derek  :wine1:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 01:11:36 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #320 on: April 18, 2021, 01:17:10 AM »
Ahah....I see it all now.."It lays down 0.2mm tall layers of plastic at a time" ....

I couldn't visualise how the print head got down there in the V of the valley of the spool  :facepalm: ....it didn't!,  as the depth of the V was only 0.2mm tall on each horizontal pass  :ThumbsUp:

Must admit, the horizontal build lines in your image helped me  :Director: .[so for every 1" in spool height, approx 125 horizontal deposit passes]

Carry on...no more interruptions [for a while] from me

Derek
By George (not Britnell) I think hes got it!   :Lol:

Yup, thats the key to how these 3D printers work, they lay down an entire layer, then either raise the printhead, or move the platform down, then put down the next layer. The thinner the layer/smaller the nozzle, the smaller those little steps get. For the liquid resin printers, the resolution is amazingly small, but you are dealing with smelly sticky liquids. There are also sintered powder printers the spread a layer of fine powder, melt the grains where the object is with a laser, then spread another layer of powder. All sorts of variations, quite amazing technologies. Years ago we used early versions of these printers (I think they were the liquid resin type) to make prototype parts for the inkjet printers we were developing - lots faster than having steel injection molds made/changed/remade/rechanged.
The parts I am printing were already in the 3D CAD model I made over the last couple years from the original builder blueprints, just had to save them out as .stl and bring them into the slicer program that came with the printer. That program generates the gcode that the printer uses, so all the layer and support material smarts is in the slicer, the printer just has to worry about the stepper motors, heaters, etc.Most of the rest of the model will be traditional machining from steel/brass/bronze, but these pump housings were just crying out for the printer.
 :cheers: :cheers:
Oh, and questions/interruptions/comments ALWAYS welcome! Reminds me of my favorite sign, that hung outside a bookstore in Kennebunkport Maine:

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #321 on: April 18, 2021, 01:48:42 AM »
OK...time has passed  :old:  [question :headscratch:  time open again] ...how flat and square are the spool piece flanges?

When any 2 are bolted together, do they sit as they should?

So reading backwards, there will be some water flow, but @ low pressure?
Would a Silicone type [Gasket in a tube] compress to provide an adequate seal?
Permatex market [152 gm tubes of RTV silicone] in an extensive range of colours....[stay away from fluroscent pink]  :Jester:

This type of material would appear to be a little easier to apply than punching out :hammerbash:  14, 256 bolt holes in 0.05mm thick gasket material

Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #322 on: April 18, 2021, 03:33:24 AM »
OK...time has passed  :old:  [question :headscratch:  time open again] ...how flat and square are the spool piece flanges?

When any 2 are bolted together, do they sit as they should?

So reading backwards, there will be some water flow, but @ low pressure?
Would a Silicone type [Gasket in a tube] compress to provide an adequate seal?
Permatex market [152 gm tubes of RTV silicone] in an extensive range of colours....[stay away from fluroscent pink]  :Jester:

This type of material would appear to be a little easier to apply than punching out :hammerbash:  14, 256 bolt holes in 0.05mm thick gasket material

Derek
Wow - time flies when you're having fun!  Or as Kermit would say, Times Fun When You're Eating Flies!

Nope - these printed parts will not carry the water directly, just the brass central pump chamber will. Inside the plastic parts will be tubing to carry the water, as well as the sets of check valves to make the pumps work. Its really because of the check valves that I decided to do it that way. I hadn't even considered the gaskets that would be needed - oh my!   :hellno:

I'm going to make pipework to run down the straight sections, elbows/tees as needed to connect the water lines with the check valves and into the pump chambers. I've been changing my mind a lot on exactly where things will be and in what orientation or I'd put up the diagram, will do that this coming week when things settle down to a solid plan for more than an hour!   :stickpoke:

I have made up the housings/pipes to be able to come apart easily, even though they are all bolted together with a bazillion bolts, will put pictures of that up as well to show the tricks - maybe I can fool Penn and Teller with that.... Well, I doubt it, Teller is a pretty smart elf!   :happyreader:

Oh, and as for the flanges - they do seem to come out quite accurate to the design, have not measured any shrinkage or distortions, things line up quite well with this PLA. The surfaces of the flanges are nice and flat, though you can see the edges of the extruded paths, they are blended into each other well. The insides of the thicker walls are a pattern of wavy infills to keep them supported but reduce the material/print time. Not many areas like that on these parts, most of the walls are only a few lines thick anyway. Supposedly the material will absorb moisture, so the filament is stored in sealed bags between uses, and if they were to be used as actual pipe I'd seal the surfaces first - either thinned epoxy or varnish works well for that. The parts I make for the RC boats will get treated that way, as well as painted. Wet-sanding the parts works well, keeping the parts cool from the sanding as well as keeping the paper from clogging.

Lets see, I did get the new brass bar stock today, probably annoyed the delivery guy with a 42 pound mailing tube! I noticed that the end cap was missing from the tube, but the bar was still there. I wonder whose shipment of glass ornaments got squished when the bar speared them....   O:-)   Almost as good as the time that I ordered 5 bars of stainless steel - they came in separate mailing tubes (very thick cardboard with wood endcaps nailed on). Probably 20 to 30 pounds each. Could have smashed up a truckload if they rolled around on the corners! I do know that the UPS guy lost a fingernail - he tried carrying them all together up the driveway at once and they shifted.... Ouch!  I gave him advance warning of heavy orders after that so he could take that day off... 

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #323 on: April 18, 2021, 04:22:35 PM »
Lets see, I did get the new brass bar stock today, probably annoyed the delivery guy with a 42 pound mailing tube! I noticed that the end cap was missing from the tube, but the bar was still there. I wonder whose shipment of glass ornaments got squished when the bar speared them....   O:-)   Almost as good as the time that I ordered 5 bars of stainless steel - they came in separate mailing tubes (very thick cardboard with wood endcaps nailed on). Probably 20 to 30 pounds each. Could have smashed up a truckload if they rolled around on the corners! I do know that the UPS guy lost a fingernail - he tried carrying them all together up the driveway at once and they shifted.... Ouch!  I gave him advance warning of heavy orders after that so he could take that day off...

I had a 1m long piece of 2" diameter EN8 delivered by post: all they had done was rolled some brown paper round it and used lots of Sellotape to hold it on and the lady delivery driver asked what is it? I said "its a bashing stick" she said yes that is what my son thought it was and I had to stop him hitting his brother with it (the boys were about 3 and 5 sitting in the back of her car ::) )

Still following along  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #324 on: April 18, 2021, 05:35:16 PM »

I had a 1m long piece of 2" diameter EN8 delivered by post: all they had done was rolled some brown paper round it and used lots of Sellotape to hold it on and the lady delivery driver asked what is it? I said "its a bashing stick" she said yes that is what my son thought it was and I had to stop him hitting his brother with it (the boys were about 3 and 5 sitting in the back of her car ::) )

Still following along  ;)

Jo

:Lol:

Then they'll put a little part the size of a deck of cards in a w foot square box with maybe a small square of crumpled paper...

Great to have you along for the ride!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #325 on: April 18, 2021, 05:37:19 PM »
Got a start on the other two pump chambers this morning, taking a side job now to make up some new plexi chip shields, the old ones were getting too scratched up to see through, one got dropped and broke.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #326 on: April 18, 2021, 06:46:19 PM »
Finished with the new chip guard for the lathe - just a sheet of clear plexi bent in a 90 with a little heat from a torch, then cut an opening to let it fit over the cross slide end. Been using same setup for years, old one finally got too scratched to see through well when the task light was shining through it.

Here it is while turning the second pump chamber to shape. Behind the lathe you can see the first one, and the third one as it was in the chuck to rough in the base and drill the mounting holes on the mill. New shield doesn't show that well in the picture, but you can see the top/left edges pretty well. It extends down past the tailstock, is long enough to deflect the brass chips which like to fly in all directions. It rests on the cross slide, so it moves with the cutter.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #327 on: April 18, 2021, 06:49:44 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #328 on: April 18, 2021, 07:02:17 PM »
For a great set  video describing the engines and the pumps, take a click over to the Cincinnati Triple Steam web site. They have a very simnilar engine and pump setup to the Holly engine I am modelling - there are a few minor differences, but the engines are following the same general design and were made by a different manufacturer.

http://cincinnatitriplesteam.org/gcww_videos.htm

I have not been to the Cincinnati pump museum, hoping to get there after all the Covid restrictions let them open again. I have toured the Bufallo pumps once, want to get back there again too.

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #329 on: April 18, 2021, 09:46:31 PM »
These pump chambers look the business!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal