Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 154175 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #300 on: April 16, 2021, 10:43:21 PM »
Very nice looking brass pump chamber, Chris!

Have you had any side effects from your second shot yet Chris?  I got my second just recently and I was feeling pretty lousy the day after.  Slight fever & chills... not a lot of energy, background headache.  But it only lasted a day.  Hope you don't experience too much of that.

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #301 on: April 16, 2021, 10:56:48 PM »
Thanks Kim/CNR.  Been putting in a couple of sessions with the printed parts, getting subassemblies made - several dozen screws and nuts per piece. Only thing I have noticed so far is the sore spot at the injection site, same as first dose. Hopefully that will be all!

:cheers:

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #302 on: April 17, 2021, 12:43:56 AM »
Chris-

That is a nice looking urn for the departed elves  :LittleAngel:.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #303 on: April 17, 2021, 03:04:23 AM »
Chris, I’m “blown away” with this build.  The printed parts are just fantastic, as is your other work.  This may be your best model yet!
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #304 on: April 17, 2021, 09:26:20 AM »
Absolutely Craig........this Y Pipe Spool is amazing  :headscratch:....more computing power  :atcomputer: than any Appolo voyage  .... Derek
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 09:29:39 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #305 on: April 17, 2021, 01:32:28 PM »
Absolutely Craig........this Y Pipe Spool is amazing  :headscratch: ....more computing power  :atcomputer: than any Appolo voyage  .... Derek
Those Y pipes (bigger one on the output side) took some figuring out. Fusion 360 has a lofting feature where you can make a sketch drawing of a planar cross section, then another sketch showing the path it takes, and then loft extrude the cross section along the path. Thats how I did the Y's, elbows, and later on the railings going around curved platforms. With one side of the Y done from base to end, it was cut off at the middle and then mirrored to get the other side.
The printer is coming in very very handy for these pump shells and pipes, I could have done the pipes with flanges easy enough, but the Y's, elbows, and housings would have been very difficult and very expensive to piece up from metal.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #306 on: April 17, 2021, 01:34:22 PM »
Chris-

That is a nice looking urn for the departed elves  :LittleAngel: .

-Bob
They have been trying to contach W. E. Coyote for some barrels of black powder, they thing it is an elf-launching canon!  :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #307 on: April 17, 2021, 01:35:50 PM »
Chris, I’m “blown away” with this build.  The printed parts are just fantastic, as is your other work.  This may be your best model yet!
Thanks Craig!  I'm trying to step up my level of detail on this one - thinking back to the ones I saw in places like the Mariners Museum when I was a kid, that got me hooked on steam engines in the first place.

Offline derekwarner

« Reply #308 on: April 17, 2021, 01:51:23 PM »
Sorry...I have read your words  :happyreader: x 10 times  :insane:

I can sort of understand the logic with a 90 degree or a 135 degree elbow of equal or unequal flanged pipe spool piece :naughty: ...but am a little lost in the one piece printing of a 3 flange Y pipe spool piece  :facepalm:

Derek

Or is there a joint somewhere here?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 02:04:09 PM by derekwarner »
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #309 on: April 17, 2021, 02:03:35 PM »
Sorry...I have read your words  :happyreader: x 10 times  :insane:

I can sort of understand the logic with a 90 degree or a 135 degree elbow of equal or unequal flanged pipe spool piece :naughty: ...but am a little lost in the one piece printing of a 3 flange Y pipe spool piece  :facepalm:

Derek
In that picture the Y piece and the two elbows, which match the original machine shapes, have already been bolted together at the flanges. The software for 'slicing' the part into layers for printing handled everything else - you position the part how you want it on the printing plate, and it generates the g-code file with all the movements to print it. It also will generate support material, which is extra little towers of printed plastic that let it start the flanges that hang out in mid-air, since anything over about a 45 degree overhang wont print without the next extruded layer falling off. In the picture I had already removed that support material. I printed the Y with the large center flange down on the plate, the two angled flanges hanging out up above.

Not sure if I am answering your question? Attached is a picture of two of the upper force chambers I printed yesterday. The one on the left still has the support material on it, the one on the right has had that material snapped off (it just connects in a small area so it does not stick hard).
Sorry if I am answering badly - if so let me  know and I'll steer in a different direction!
Chris

Offline derekwarner

« Reply #310 on: April 17, 2021, 02:17:27 PM »
Maybe if I had seen a few images of the Y piece, before the supporting elements had been cut away and removed would enlighten my mind a little  :Jester:

Keep going...I am sure I will get the understanding as you print/create   :killcomputer: more elements [hunks of pipes & things]

Derek  :cheers:
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #311 on: April 17, 2021, 02:44:55 PM »
Maybe if I had seen a few images of the Y piece, before the supporting elements had been cut away and removed would enlighten my mind a little  :Jester:

Keep going...I am sure I will get the understanding as you print/create   :killcomputer: more elements [hunks of pipes & things]

Derek  :cheers:
No problem at all - I didn't have a clue on this stuff till I got the printer and started going through the tutorials. I am giving you all 30 minutes of my unextensive experience!   :Lol:

Here is a screen shot of the larger Y piece in the slicer software, showing how it is oriented on the printing plate and what the support material it generates looks like, along with the printed part. I did not take any shots while printing. It lays down 0.2mm tall layers of plastic at a time, which is why it gets the stepped look on shallow angled areas - those will be sanded smooth before painting.

Offline kvom

« Reply #312 on: April 17, 2021, 03:18:19 PM »
I was thinking how I'd model the Y pipe in Solidworks.  I think the lofting is pretty similar, although no need to split/mirror the halves.

1) Draw two curves on plane 1 that follow the centers of the pipes (joined at one end).

2) Create planes perpendicular to plane 1 and to the ends of the lines.  On each of these planes draw a circle equal to the outside diameter of the pipes (input can be larger than output).

3) Apply the Lofted Boss/Base feature to both output circle sketches with the input circle as the destination.

4) Sketch a circle on each the three end planes equal to the inside diameter of the pipes.

5) Apply a Lofted Cut feature to remove the inside of the pipes.

6) Draw the 3 flanges on the 3 end planes and extrude them.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #313 on: April 17, 2021, 03:25:38 PM »
Pretty muchj the same Kvom - with any of the apps and thier tools, sure there are multiple ways to do it. The thing I struggled with at first was how to have the two pipes angle off but leaving that center area clear, thats why I did the cut and mirror.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #314 on: April 17, 2021, 04:00:39 PM »
Crueby, are you going to use these as is? or use them as patterns?

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal