Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 155375 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #255 on: April 13, 2021, 01:49:15 AM »
Enjoying this build Chris!

Dave
Thanks Dave, me too!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #256 on: April 13, 2021, 01:51:14 AM »
OK....understood..... :facepalm: "Main Frame Anchor Bolts"

Currently, you have the main pump frame base plate bolted down by 8 bolts then the wooden display border....would you consider a larger footprint display board with a 1" plus wide [on each of 4 sides] natural coloured fine concrete floor around the complete display base?

All of the photographs display the concrete floor as the same grey tone as the pump & associated   :hammerbash:

Could look the part  :wine1:

Derek

PS.....just found plain Brickwork floor in  some images..... :Doh:
The plate bolted to the wood is representing the concrete floor, at least a portion of it. Had to draw the line somewhere, or I could have wound up having to make the whole building. Didn't want to make five engines, so didn't do that!!  :Lol:

Where is the brick floor? Too settled in the recliner to go look on the main PC!
Are you talking about the red around the modern blue pumps? Thats a new layer on top of the concrete, only in the new pump section.

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #257 on: April 13, 2021, 02:43:15 AM »
There appears to be a bricked in floor area [in yellow] immediately up to the actual Plinth of the unit......[Plinth = Base]

:ThumbsUp:

Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #258 on: April 13, 2021, 02:57:05 AM »
There appears to be a bricked in floor area [in yellow] immediately up to the actual Plinth of the unit......[Plinth = Base]

:ThumbsUp:

Derek
Well, I'll be dipped in elf-snot!  (ick!)

How many times have I looked at all the photos and never noticed that! Or in person either that day.  Checked the original full-res images, and it does appear to be some sort of square tile, about 1'  or 18" square, where I thought it was just concrete. So much old dirt on it that I never saw that. Good catch!  In the plans they just show poured concrete, so my brain fixed on that. Good catch!   :ThumbsUp:

In some of the full-res pictures I can see where the area between the three cast base plates is raised concrete, and around the edges it is crumbled at the bottom, wonder if they had made changes/repairs at some point? Or if it was the tile around the raised area always. Huh.  Its so much fun to keep finding new details!
 :cheers:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #259 on: April 13, 2021, 02:59:18 AM »
Looking through more of the pictures, I keep finding more tools laying about, more of the big wrenches, brooms, the big hooks that would be on the end of chain falls, that sort of thing. Its like 'Wheres Waldo', or 'Wheres Waldo's Wrench' !!!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #260 on: April 13, 2021, 03:10:38 AM »
Interesting detail in the corner of one of the pictures in the collection, here you can see the corner of the engine and its base in the upper right, next to that is a channel around the base with a raised area that has the tiles. Makes sense, that gives any spilled water places to be channelled away without getting the whole floor and anything on it wet.

Another picture was of a stats sheet, showed the weight of each engine as 1100 tons, flywheels are each 30 tons, capacity per engine per day was 30 million gallons, 946.71 gallons per revolution, each engine 1200 horsepower.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #261 on: April 13, 2021, 05:34:38 AM »
Wow, Chris!  This is an amazing build!  Love the big printed pipe chunks!  And the support frame forest :)

In that last picture you just posted, does it show THREE bolt heads in the end of that support?  Or is that lump in the middle something else?

Kim

Offline derekwarner

« Reply #262 on: April 13, 2021, 05:51:45 AM »
So the 16 x Main Frame Anchor Bolts are just as such...holding down bolts, not any form of alignment tool........those lumps do this

"Or is that lump in the middle something else"?.......mmmm.... the head of a taper dowel pin?  :Doh:

We also see, low angled [low flow] concrete open ditch 'green slime' water drains .... :naughty: which were absolutely common place in all machinery plant floor structures

Derek
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 09:25:34 AM by derekwarner »
www.ils.org.au

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #263 on: April 13, 2021, 12:26:38 PM »
Wow, Chris!  This is an amazing build!  Love the big printed pipe chunks!  And the support frame forest :)

In that last picture you just posted, does it show THREE bolt heads in the end of that support?  Or is that lump in the middle something else?

Kim
The middle hole in the end of the pad is for an alignment pin - a lot of the connections have them for lining up the castings on assembly.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #264 on: April 13, 2021, 12:32:00 PM »
So the 16 x Main Frame Anchor Bolts are just as such...holding down bolts, not any form of alignment tool........those lumps do this

"Or is that lump in the middle something else"?.......mmmm.... the head of a taper dowel pin?  :Doh:

We also see, low angled [low flow] concrete open ditch 'green slime' water drains .... :naughty: which were absolutely common place in all machinery plant floor structures

Derek
Especially water pumping plants, I would assume! The floor there is below the level of Lake Erie, which is only a few hundred feet away - behind this building was the boiler building (since collapsed in a blizzard), that was next to the lake. Offshore there is an island building out in the lake that houses the intakes for the water pipes coming into the pumps. The balcony that people are standing on in the pictures is at ground level of the area. I would expect that this setup avoids having to pump in water to prime the pumps.

Offline derekwarner

« Reply #265 on: April 13, 2021, 02:37:41 PM »
All OK, & agreed Chris......our job is to sit down & get on with watching the build  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:   :cheers: ...Derek
www.ils.org.au

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #266 on: April 13, 2021, 03:21:50 PM »
All OK, & agreed Chris......our job is to sit down & get on with watching the build  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:   :cheers: ...Derek
Oh, just watching? I thought you were going to stop by and help shovel out swarf!   :ROFL:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #267 on: April 13, 2021, 05:02:40 PM »
This morning started in on shaping the engine bed end plates, first cut the recesses at the corners and the section on the other side in the middle. The plates were stacked and bolted together so all could be done at once.

Then moved the stack to the rotary table to cut the arcs, which are concentric to each other so only one time to center/position the stack.

Here are the shaped plates:

and showing where they will sit on top of the lower frame rails:

Next step? Think I will make the studs to hold the frame rails to the bases, the corner ones are 2-56, the long ones in the tubes are 4-40.  After that will likely start on the pump chambers that go in the center of each base plate....

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #268 on: April 13, 2021, 07:05:46 PM »
Thanks Chris & Derek, for answering my question.

And nice RT work on those engine bed plates.  The curviness adds something to the otherwise linear parts :)   :popcorn: :popcorn:

Kim

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #269 on: April 13, 2021, 07:32:51 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Good luck with making the 9,368 studs!   :Lol::cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal