Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 154225 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #240 on: April 10, 2021, 07:29:11 PM »
Hi Chris ...coming along great... :) :)

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #241 on: April 10, 2021, 07:53:47 PM »
Thanks guys, makes a huge difference to work from the original machines blueprints rather than plans already modelled or from photos alone.

Did a little playing with vises and such, got a way figured out to hold the rails to drill the ends for the floor bolts. The mill column is the long one, but not quite enough to just clamp in the vise. The tenon jig is going to get bolted to a block, block bolted to the table edge with the rail hanging off the side. Drill bit has to go in the 3 jaw, regular chuck is too long. Will bolt the drill guide used for the pads back on to each rail for locating the drill, has to be in close alignment to the other holes. Pics tomorrow when I do that, today is another warm one so outside I go!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #242 on: April 11, 2021, 06:28:14 PM »
So here is the setup for drilling the large holes in the bottom ends of the frame rails.

Reused the clamping jig from making the tenons, bolted to a 1-2-3 block clamped to the mill table witht he part hanging off the front end of the table for the last bit of height needed.

Here are the first couple drilled, one of the left has a length of the round-stock in it, drilled through on the lathe. This will take a long bolt that runs down through the base plate and into the floor.

Next step is to drill/tap the holes at the top ends that take the brackets which will support the catwalk platform up at the level of the crankshaft. Remember that all these frames so far are under the engine, around the pump chambers, shown in the red circle in the next picture. The actual engine comes later...!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #243 on: April 12, 2021, 02:02:54 PM »
Hi Chris, I was wondering how you planned to drill the legs for the floor bolt bosses. The height of the parts and the shallow cutting angle struck me as potentially tricky. You obviously solved it perfectly, the cuts themselves look really great. Did you "drill" with an endmill on an extended shank?

Parts and assembly look great, in any case.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #244 on: April 12, 2021, 02:35:36 PM »
Hi Chris, I was wondering how you planned to drill the legs for the floor bolt bosses. The height of the parts and the shallow cutting angle struck me as potentially tricky. You obviously solved it perfectly, the cuts themselves look really great. Did you "drill" with an endmill on an extended shank?

Parts and assembly look great, in any case.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Hi CNR,

I drilled them with a normal twist drill held in the 3 jaw, with the drill guide plate to line things up. Going through the pad was fine, past that it was angling out the leg which wanted to pull the drill to the side, so I took that part slow and backed out a few times to minimize that. Worked out well. I thought about an end mill, but it would have to be one with a long cutter section, and on deep plunges they can chatter. The drill worked good though. The pipe inserts were cut and drilled on the lathe then loctited in.

Got started tapping all the 1-72 bracket holes at the tops this morning, 6 per rail... That tapping jig is working out great.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #245 on: April 12, 2021, 03:05:12 PM »
Yesterday I got the small holes for the catwalk brackets drilled in the top of the frame rails - one set on the outer end of each pad, one set on the outer side. To line up and support the rail, there is a little machinist jack on the left, out of frame of the picture.

This morning have started tapping the holes, 4 rails down, 8 to go...

Once they are all tapped, I will get them re-assembled to the top plates, and then I think its time for some paint on them!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #246 on: April 12, 2021, 07:33:21 PM »
While continuing the tapping on the second half of the frame rails, I started to paint the first half of them. Here they are side by side - quite a different appearance:

Here are the sets of holes in the top ends - 3 each on side and back faces for the catwalk brackets:

Just put the first light coat on the second batch of rails, and marked out the rest of the shaping/holes to do in the top plates. These plates form part of the engine crankshaft beds. Need to add four more holes for the tops of the pump force chambers to bolt to. There will be pillars coming up from the pump chambers too, that bolt to the bottom of the engine beds. Must have been amazing amounts of  vertical force in the pumping action, everything braces to everything.

Also also, while doing the machining, the 3D printer has been spitting out a couple parts a day for the pump valve housing and pipes. These housings will not have pressure on them in the model, will put some PEX or some such tubing inside with check valves, the pump chambers themselves will be all metal though. These housings would have required a great deal of piecing up to get the shapes, the upper force chambers have more brackets hanging off them too. Aside from the pump housings/pipes, very little on the rest of the model will be printed. Pretty happy with the printer so far, the goofed parts so far were my fault, not its.

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #247 on: April 12, 2021, 11:07:13 PM »
Looking good - the painted columns and the 3D printed housings....  :ThumbsUp:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #248 on: April 12, 2021, 11:40:50 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #249 on: April 12, 2021, 11:47:34 PM »
Pumpframe Forest!

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #250 on: April 13, 2021, 01:01:57 AM »
Morning Chris....I have gone back a few pages, but still am not sure what these tubular vertical spool sections as fitted to each of the feet [outboard] are for?

You mention a long mounting bolt?......but each foot appears to be thru-bolted by 4 corner bolts..

Derek

Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #251 on: April 13, 2021, 01:09:40 AM »
Hi Derek - The four corner bolts in each pad extend down through the base plate for that cylinder. The three base plates have long bolts running down into the concrete foundation of the building. These tubes on each frame leg also take long bolts that go through the base plates and deep into the floor. In all, there are 16 bolts tying together the pads and base plate, sixteen tying together the legs and base plate, and eight that tie the legs, base plate, and floor together. That thing aint goin nowhere! Aside from how many tons it all weighs...

I have not put in the long bolts in the tubes yet, need to make the studs for those and also for the corners of the pads, for now am using hex screws. The long ones are larger diameter than the corner ones too.

Chris :cheers:

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 01:13:33 AM by crueby »

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #252 on: April 13, 2021, 01:23:43 AM »
OK....understood..... :facepalm: "Main Frame Anchor Bolts"

Currently, you have the main pump frame base plate bolted down by 8 bolts then the wooden display border....would you consider a larger footprint display board with a 1" plus wide [on each of 4 sides] natural coloured fine concrete floor around the complete display base?

All of the photographs display the concrete floor as the same grey tone as the pump & associated   :hammerbash:

Could look the part  :wine1:

Derek

PS.....just found plain Brickwork floor in  some images..... :Doh:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 01:44:57 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #253 on: April 13, 2021, 01:26:40 AM »
Enjoying this build Chris!

Dave

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #254 on: April 13, 2021, 01:48:48 AM »
OK....understood..... :facepalm: "Main Frame Anchor Bolts"

Currently, you have the main pump frame base plate bolted down by 8 bolts then the wooden display border....would you consider a larger footprint display board with a 1" plus wide [on each of 4 sides] natural coloured fine concrete floor around the complete display base?

All of the photographs display the concrete floor as the same grey tone as the pump & associated   :hammerbash:

Could look the part  :wine1:

Derek

PS.....just found plain Brickwork floor in  some images..... :Doh:
The plate bolted to the wood is representing the concrete floor, at least a portion of it. Had to draw the line somewhere, or I could have wound up having to make the whole building. Didn't want to make five engines, so didn't do that!!  :Lol:

Where is the brick floor? Too settled in the recliner to go look on the main PC!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal