Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 154211 times)

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #210 on: April 05, 2021, 11:34:29 PM »
Looking good!
Will be great to see this develop...

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #211 on: April 06, 2021, 12:12:05 AM »
Hi all. this is one of my spanners !!! and these are the spanners and shadow board that are in the local New Mills pumping station that closed down in 1974 !!! This may be my next project btw.
 willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #212 on: April 06, 2021, 12:22:41 AM »
The next project possibly being the engine at New Mills, or the shadow board?   :Lol:   And I am not commenting on the name on the spanner....  Nope. Not going to mention that...  :o

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #213 on: April 06, 2021, 12:26:22 AM »
Looking good!
Will be great to see this develop...
Thanks Gary - I got the rest of the top plates tapped and test fit on the model. Found one rail that was just slightly short, tilting the top plate a fraction to the side. A bit of thin shim stock under the pad cured that. Also found that I had drilled one of the larger center holes on the wrong edge of the plate (moving too quick with the stack I guess). Drilled the correct one, and am filling the bad one with some JB Quik epoxy. It would only be visible by a shop elf on the lower pump platform looking up under the engine beds, but they LOVE to point out stufff like that and laugh...!
Tomorrow I'll probably get the pads loctited to the rails....

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #214 on: April 06, 2021, 12:30:47 AM »
but they LOVE to point out stufff like that and laugh...!

Oh, don't they just...!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #215 on: April 06, 2021, 03:02:39 PM »
This morning I made up some little spacer plates to keep the two side pairs of each set the correct distance apart, and glued the mortise and tenon joints together. There is tape at the bottom under each pad to keep any drips inside from glueing the pads to the bases.

I'll let the loctite set up, then unbolt the pads and cross pin the tenons for extra security.

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #216 on: April 06, 2021, 03:19:16 PM »
Very nice. Starting to get that triple expansion feel about it already...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #217 on: April 06, 2021, 05:03:15 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

The name on the big wrench may have been chosen because it was less die work for the tool engraver than "His Royal Highness Richard III"  (just a theory)  :Lol: :shrug:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #218 on: April 06, 2021, 05:05:06 PM »

The name on the big wrench may have been chosen because it was less die work for the tool engraver than "His Royal Highness Richard III"  (just a theory)  :Lol: :shrug:
:Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #219 on: April 06, 2021, 10:05:27 PM »
While waiting for the loctite on the frames to cure up (going to wait overnight on that) I couldn't wait to see how the pipework would look. I've been letting the 3D printer crank away on some pipe sections, doing the first couple over again with changes to print settings (lot to learn on that part of things). I started with the water intake pipes, which bring the water in from Lake Erie to the three pump valve housings on each side of the engine. These pipes will go between the lower ends of the frame legs, the output pipes go on the outside of the frame legs and meet at another Y fitting at the other end of the engine. These are all printed in PLA plastic, made in sections like the originals to bolt together. With a lot of bolts. A LOT of them... Here is what the assembly is starting to look like, these are the sections that will bolt to the first check valve housing. Then there will be two more straight sections between the housings. Going to take a while to put in all the fasteners!

Depending on the angle you view them from, they either look nice and smooth, or from the other direction you can see the tiny bumps between the layers. After some reading and consulting with others in the RC submarine group, I did some experimenting and found that giving the outsides a coat of sealer smooths out the bumps - several things work, one that is very simple is some of the varnish I use on the boats, Helmsman Polyurethane Gloss - it flows out smooth, dries quick, and seems to adhere well. Then after that cures, a coat of the spray paint to match the cast iron look.
I could definitely turn the straight sections of the pipe on the lathe and drill the flanges - would take a LOT of metal to do them all. I have no clue how I would do the elbows and Y fittings without CNC. Same with the odd shapes to come on the pump valve housings. The actual pump chamber will be metal with seals to be able to pump water for demos - figure I can run plumbing fittings/pipes inside these plastic ones for the water to flow through, for demo it will be more of a water fountain cycle back into a container, no real pressure involved.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #220 on: April 06, 2021, 11:00:09 PM »

Hi that is exactly what I thought !!... :lolb: :lolb: perhaps ....  so ..was the smaller 5' 1" king !! not part of "the firm" ?!!!

Willy

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #221 on: April 06, 2021, 11:11:32 PM »
Goodness, that is lot of bolts & nut, with many more to come  :facepalm:....must remember the original pipe spools with bends would have been sand cast and the straight spools Spun Cast, but both in steel with rough surface finishes

If you scraped the layers of paint off the original staight spools on the machine, you would probably find a course rotational pitch [similar to course lathe tooling marking] as a result of the spinning in the Spun Cast process

So, don't worry about any such rotational pitch marks on your PLA printed tubes

Derek 
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #222 on: April 06, 2021, 11:16:48 PM »
Goodness, that is lot of bolts & nut, with many more to come  :facepalm: ....must remember the original pipe spools with bends would have been sand cast and the straight spools Spun Cast, but both in steel with rough surface finishes

If you scraped the layers of paint off the original staight spools on the machine, you would probably find a course rotational pitch [similar to course lathe tooling marking] as a result of the spinning in the Spun Cast process

So, don't worry about any such rotational pitch marks on your PLA printed tubes

Derek
Had not heard of spun casting on that kind of scale, but it makes sense. Is it a big mold spun around, or more of an extrusion type process? If not a mold, then the flanges would get welded on after? Did that process exist back in early 1900s?

EDIT: did some searching,  :atcomputer:   and saw that the spun casting was invented in 1918, the blueprints on this engine show 1911, so these would have been done on a sand cast method?

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #223 on: April 07, 2021, 05:34:58 AM »
Wow, Chris, those pipe sections look great!

And what size are those fasteners you're using? 2-56?  or smaller?

Kim

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #224 on: April 07, 2021, 11:30:17 AM »
Sorry....the actual vintage of the machine eluded me......[right or wrong, were were taught that this 'Spun Cast' process was progressed in the early 1920's in England after the secrets of the process  :zap: were acquired by deception from Germany? ]

If we are talking 1911+, obviously the straight pipe spools would have been sand cast, complete with the flanges ready for cleanup machining & flange bolt patterns drilled by Horizontal Boring machines

The surface finish would again be rough.........

Centrifically cast , or as originally termed as Spun Cast  pipe spools were made in semi continuous length, however dependent on the volume/tonnage of the Melt. Their flanges were carbon arc welded to make a one piece spool

Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal