Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 154157 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2021, 11:26:56 PM »
Completely ANECDOTAL aftereffect data from my family.

Moderna - 2 for 2 uncomfortable after effects - nausea, headache, soreness
Pfizer - 3 for 3 nothing important - wife had mild discomfort around injection site

Paperwork...

In addition to the cards issued at the inoculation sites, we received official cards in the mail.  I scanned them and we carry the scans in our wallets in the fond hope that some day they may gain us admission to a real sit-down indoor restaurant.

Outdoor dining is legal here and yesterday we ate sushi and tempura on the patio of a local restaurant overlooking the Pacific and a fine view of Catalina. (Kalifornia may be a liberal hell, but the weather and landscape are worth it.)
I totally agree with all that, except I like my fish battered and fried!   :cheers:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2021, 11:29:40 PM »
Did a little more playing around with the jig design, and realized that what I had drawn was easy to make, would have been a pain in the swarf to use since several independant parts are clumsy to arrange in the mill vise.   :slap:

Had another brain-storm (hopefully not another brain-fart), and came up with a much simpler approach using clamping cradles on a base plate. So, assuming I dont realize something bad with that, will build that this weekend.

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2021, 11:47:27 PM »
My wife being Medical Personal and in contact with patients all the time got her first shot on Friday. My family Doctors clinic has started giving 70+ appointments, they had two days of appointments both filled in two minutes.
Gerald.   
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2021, 12:43:36 AM »

The shop elves felt left out, so I offered to put them in the drill press and drill a hole in thier arm. No more complaints... 

If they get too nervous about that you could always offer to clamp them to the lathe faceplate and administer the dose via a drill in the tailstock. They'd be so dizzy they wouldn't notice the jab.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #139 on: March 27, 2021, 12:53:48 AM »

The shop elves felt left out, so I offered to put them in the drill press and drill a hole in thier arm. No more complaints... 

If they get too nervous about that you could always offer to clamp them to the lathe faceplate and administer the dose via a drill in the tailstock. They'd be so dizzy they wouldn't notice the jab.

:lolb:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #140 on: March 27, 2021, 11:29:57 AM »
Or grab a wire-type file cleaning card, and tell them the vaccine's on it, drop your trousers and have a seat...... :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2021, 01:44:44 PM »
Has Surus gotten his shot? Leg or trunk??

He's too young they are only doing old fogies and people with underlying health conditions so far  ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2021, 11:18:16 PM »
Okay, so, back on the pumping engine lower frames.  I made up Mk-2 of the holding jig, the first version not making past the eyeball-after-design phase.  This version uses a single base plate, drilled with a pattern of holes determined in the CAD application to give the angles I need to give the frame rails the different direction lean in towards the center. Here is what I came up with to mill the angles on the upper and lower ends, plus mill the tenons at each end that will go through the pads to be added to the ends.

The bottom of the plate has two pairs of holes at either end to hold clamping cradles that will hold the frames at 10.23 degrees from the centerline. The areas around the holes on the bottom was recessed to let the screw heads sit in from the bottom of the plate so it will lay flat in the vise.

Here is a side view, showing the cradles clamped around the rail. The lower halves of the cradles are threaded, so they are held tight to the plate by the screws. The top halves of the cradles clamp down using nuts on each screw. Also, note the little piece of 1/16" thick stock under the frame rail/on top of the lower cradle at the right hand end of the photo. This lifts that end to give it the desired 1.7 degrees of lean in that direction. Depending on which end of which rail I am working on, this shim gets put on the cradle at one end of the rail or the other. In combination with putting the cradles in one pair of holes or the other, all the combinations needed for compound angles on the rails/tenons can be done.

The two vertical screws are there to be position stops when making the tenons. When milling the angle on the end of the rails, those screws will be removed.

So, here is the jig clamped down in the mill vise in the position used to cut the angle on the end as well as the tenon cuts on the top/bottom of the rail.

To cut the tenon sides, and get a square corner where the tenon meets the main frame rail, the jig can be tipped up on either side. The shiny area on either side of the main plate is where I milled a shallow recess in the top of the plate, which gives a lip for the plate to sit on top of the vise jaws, aligning it level. I could not make the plate wide enough to reach the bottom of the vise without making it so wide it would not fit in the vise when down flat.

This looks like it will work out. Yes, a lot of work to make the jig, but considering that I need to cut angles and tenons on all four sides of both ends of 12 frame rails, it is well worth it in time and accuracy gained.

But, not starting on the rails tonight - want to start fresh on that in a morning!  First I need to rough cut all the rails to length from the longer bar stock, and mark all the ends for which combination of angles it needs at either end. Without doing that, its pretty guaranteed to mix up the direction of cuts with that many to do!

Again, here is the forest of frames that is being made, each set of four needing to match the others, and each rail in each set leaning in towards the center in both directions. Should be either fun or totally maddening to keep everything organized!!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2021, 11:24:20 PM »
The jig setup looks great Chris, time well spent I think, and the frames will be that much better, I think, than with no jig.  :cheers:

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

(impulse engines only today- 0 warp factor :Lol:- enjoyed some time in my shop today, first in a while. :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #144 on: March 28, 2021, 12:22:25 AM »
The jig setup looks great Chris, time well spent I think, and the frames will be that much better, I think, than with no jig.  :cheers:

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

(impulse engines only today- 0 warp factor :Lol: - enjoyed some time in my shop today, first in a while. :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: )
Glad you are up to shop time again!   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #145 on: March 28, 2021, 03:51:53 PM »
Started in milling the compound angles on the ends of the pump frame rails this morning. All the rails are marked on two faces at each end for which direction the angles go, to help ensure that they go into the jig in the proper orientation.

It will take a while to run through all of them, the first ends will go a bit quicker, the second ends slower since the overall length has to be measured and the parts taken to dimension.  After the ends all get angled, then will start on the tenon cutting...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2021, 05:23:41 PM »
Thanks Chris! Your first cuts on the frames look great.  :cheers:   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2021, 06:00:20 PM »
Great solution to the job of cutting all those angles.

:ThumbsUp:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #148 on: March 28, 2021, 07:01:23 PM »
Thanks guys! As expected, cutting the compound angle on the first end of every piece went pretty quick, and the second ends are goin slower since I have to stop and measure the length on each one, sneaking up on the finished dimension. So far the jig is working quite well.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #149 on: March 28, 2021, 08:17:23 PM »
Just a thought Chris - Could you glue a block onto the base of the jig temporarily to register against the first end cut of each frame? If you cut the first frame against the block and sneak up on the length dimension for the first one, and don't move the table afterward, the other frames fitted in the jig and pushed up to the block and cut at same settings will be same length. (all of them right, or all of them wrong - don't ask me how I know that :Lol:)

You probably need to break the block's glue joint and move it for the opposite hand frames, but it could save some moves / measurement. Hope it helps. Back to my shop now! (impulse engine only today, 0 warp factor) :cheers:

PS how are the shop elves coping with the wheelbarrows of brass swarf?  :Lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal