Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 154156 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2021, 12:46:53 AM »
Hi Chris , this is going to be an amazing engine build with all these highly detailed parts to make ... but will be worth all the effort when compleated   :popcorn: :popcorn:

Willy

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2021, 01:01:53 AM »
 :o :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :cheers:

Steamer Likey!!!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2021, 01:14:56 AM »
Chris...

Yesterday, you say with the image ....'these are the Lower 6 pair of legs'........are the upper and lower pairs of 6 each legs of the same size & profile etc?

What material do you propose to use?   ....& fabricated construction [soldered feet] or a lot more swarf  :facepalm:

Derek
The center section of all are approximately 1/2" square, but the lengths and angles differ between top and bottom sets, also the end pads differ. The top pairs are also joined at the top. Bottom line, they can share some of the same bar stock source, but thats it.
All the frames will be brass, I got a good price on lengths of the square bar, most likely old stock from cheaper days. The pads at the ends will be made separate and soldered or pinned on.the flared bits at the ends, not sure yet, experimenting with that now. Might mold or hand work them in.
Making the frames from one piece each would be way too much work and material.

:cheers:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2021, 01:16:53 AM »
Hi Chris , this is going to be an amazing engine build with all these highly detailed parts to make ... but will be worth all the effort when compleated   :popcorn: :popcorn:

Willy
Thanks Willy, nice to have you along. Like your projects, I love to be able to see and photo the original machines, so much more inspiration.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2021, 01:17:25 AM »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #125 on: March 26, 2021, 03:43:40 PM »
This morning I drove over to Syracuse for my first dose of the Covid vaccine.   :cartwheel:   All the local sites in Rochester were getting booked as fast as they put up new appointment openings - the soonest I could get close to home was mid-May, but they have a huge site at the state fairgrounds where I was able to get an appointment the next day after they opened up shots to my age group, so it was well worth the drive.

On the way, was thinking about the jigs to mill the ends of the pump frames, and came up with a couple simple ones to hold the parts at the angles and position to do the compound angles on all the ends - I want to put a tenon on the ends of the main frame rails to fit into the pads at top and bottom, so I want to be able to set up the rails with all four sides at the top in turn. Since there are left/right and front/back versions of the frames, all mirror images of each other, that was a little confusing to work out.

After I got home, I fired up Fusion to draw them up, and calculate out the dimensions so that I can make them from stock sizes of bar stock. Since there are twelve of the frames rails, all with compound angles at both top and bottom, its well worth the time to make up holding jigs for the mill!

Will show pictures of the jigs and how they work once I have them made up.

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2021, 04:46:11 PM »
Congrats on the vax Chris!  :cheers:

My good woman and I both had ours recently too.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2021, 05:45:30 PM »
Hi Chris, congrats on getting the vaccine! good news.

In my area the authorities are still having problems getting just the 80 year old and above group vaccinated. Estimates are Sept/Oct to get to the 50-60 age group, and possibly into 2022 for under 30 group.  :hellno: Bloody disgraceful, totally mishandled, from federal level all the way to municipal level here in Ontario. :Mad: :cussing: :Mad: :cussing: :slap:

Happier subject -  :cheers: A thought on your jigs - for handling the mirror image machining, a leaf jig with a hinge in the middle, working like turning the page in a book, parts fastened to each side of the flipping "page" or leaf, can be handy for that. Used many of them for electronics assembly tooling over the years in the day job.

Cheers, the warped one, CNR6400 (about warp factor 1 today - maybe higher factor tomorrow!  :Lol:)
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2021, 06:48:35 PM »
Hi Chris, congrats on getting the vaccine! good news.

In my area the authorities are still having problems getting just the 80 year old and above group vaccinated. Estimates are Sept/Oct to get to the 50-60 age group, and possibly into 2022 for under 30 group.  :hellno: Bloody disgraceful, totally mishandled, from federal level all the way to municipal level here in Ontario. :Mad: :cussing: :Mad: :cussing: :slap:

Happier subject -  :cheers: A thought on your jigs - for handling the mirror image machining, a leaf jig with a hinge in the middle, working like turning the page in a book, parts fastened to each side of the flipping "page" or leaf, can be handy for that. Used many of them for electronics assembly tooling over the years in the day job.

Cheers, the warped one, CNR6400 (about warp factor 1 today - maybe higher factor tomorrow!  :Lol: )
Absolutely rediculous that it should be taking them so long!

What I came up with is something like the hinged type you describe, I think, just without the hinge. Two matched pairs, for any side and end, three will be used to get the compound angle. Pics later.

Offline sid pileski

« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2021, 07:27:31 PM »
Hey Chris-

Being from Skaneateles, basically Syracuse, I got my first one there too.
Second one will be on the 30th, next week.

I was impressed by the organization of it all at the fair grounds. Everybody was pleasant and it was well oiled.

Sid

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #130 on: March 26, 2021, 07:37:31 PM »
Hey Chris-

Being from Skaneateles, basically Syracuse, I got my first one there too.
Second one will be on the 30th, next week.

I was impressed by the organization of it all at the fair grounds. Everybody was pleasant and it was well oiled.

Sid
Yeah, I was surprised how easy it went, very helpful people guiding through the steps. 70 stations, they were really cranking people through.

Online mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2021, 08:29:22 PM »
My wife and I were equally astounded at how well organized the drive through setup in the LA Forum parking lot was done when we were there.  Considering that LA county has 10+ million people (more than 41 of the 50 states), the fact that they could organize anything successfully is incredible.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2021, 09:37:40 PM »
This morning I drove over to Syracuse for my first dose of the Covid vaccine.   :cartwheel: 

Do they give you a sticker/badge for having it? My parents didn't get one with theirs and I have not heard the end of it  ::)

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2021, 09:52:12 PM »
This morning I drove over to Syracuse for my first dose of the Covid vaccine.   :cartwheel: 

Do they give you a sticker/badge for having it? My parents didn't get one with theirs and I have not heard the end of it  ::)

Jo
Hey, I like those!  Maybe someone with CNC or a 3D printer can make an official MEM covid-shot badge...

No, we don't get anything like that, just a printed card that they fill out with the name/date/time/lot number/etc to prove that we got it, and let them track it back if our heads fall off or something.

So far, only side effect for me is a very slight sore spot where they did the injection, same as with any shot. Looking forward to getting the second dose in three weeks (at least they made the appointment for that with the first dose, same day of week and time so easy to remember).

The shop elves felt left out, so I offered to put them in the drill press and drill a hole in thier arm. No more complaints... 

Has Surus gotten his shot? Leg or trunk??

Online mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2021, 10:12:18 PM »
Completely ANECDOTAL aftereffect data from my family.

Moderna - 2 for 2 uncomfortable after effects - nausea, headache, soreness
Pfizer - 3 for 3 nothing important - wife had mild discomfort around injection site

Paperwork...

In addition to the cards issued at the inoculation sites, we received official cards in the mail.  I scanned them and we carry the scans in our wallets in the fond hope that some day they may gain us admission to a real sit-down indoor restaurant.

Outdoor dining is legal here and yesterday we ate sushi and tempura on the patio of a local restaurant overlooking the Pacific and a fine view of Catalina. (Kalifornia may be a liberal hell, but the weather and landscape are worth it.)
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal