Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 154195 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2021, 09:39:02 PM »
After dinner went in and gave the new tapping thingy a good workout - I like it. Made short work of tapping the 72 holes in one plate with a 2-56 tap, never had risk of twisting the tap off to the side, and it is easier on the wrists than holding everything by hand with a t-handle holder. There is still the repetitive motion, but its less, and backing the tap out can be done by twirling the t-handle with one finger. The unit is pretty heavy, which is good, no wobbling about on the table. If it needed more height to get over a tall part, it should be easy to make an extension for the base, between the cast part and the base plate.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2021, 09:48:17 PM »
Do think about adding a fitting to the top of the shaft so it can be driven with an electric screwdriver.  It might save you from wrist problems due to repetitive motion.  I think a screwdriver is the best choice because it has very low RPM and instantaneous start/stop when the switch is released.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2021, 09:49:56 PM »
Do think about adding a fitting to the top of the shaft so it can be driven with an electric screwdriver.  It might save you from wrist problems due to repetitive motion.  I think a screwdriver is the best choice because it has very low RPM and instantaneous start/stop when the switch is released.
Like one of the small ones they use for electronic assembly? I have a big screw gun, the size of a normal drill, but that would be way too big. The little ones could be good though.

:ThumbsUp:

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2021, 08:59:14 PM »
Have a look at one made by Dewalt- it  has a gyroscope in it and you control the speed by simple twist of you wrist. It works in any orientation- straight up, down, any  where.  You pick it up, point it into the screw and give a slight twist and it starts to run. Twist more and it runs faster. I got it for less than this one on Amazon with just the driver.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF682N1-Gyroscopic-Screwdriver-Screwdriving/dp/B07S8D62P6/ref=sr_1_26?crid=17WXPANR4WJ4&dchild=1&keywords=dewalt+screw+gun+cordless&qid=1616619355&sprefix=dewalt+scrrew%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-26

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2021, 09:20:34 PM »
Funny that Marv. I just put one in my cart the other day after reading some of your posts on that website of home made tools and things.

Don't believe those elves people. They're not saying "Look what I did". They're saying "Look what Chris did".
But if they were truthful, they'd be saying "Look what that guy behind the curtain did".
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2021, 09:31:18 PM »
Funny that Marv. I just put one in my cart the other day after reading some of your posts on that website of home made tools and things.

Don't believe those elves people. They're not saying "Look what I did". They're saying "Look what Chris did".
But if they were truthful, they'd be saying "Look what that guy behind the curtain did".
The guy behind the curtain is just a slightly larger elf!   :Lol:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2021, 09:45:29 PM »
Well, the elves and I have been busy today, too rainy to head back out to the pond so we played in the shop. The new tapping tool worked great, and we whipped through the rest of the tapping on the base plates - 72 size 2-56 holes per plate. Then got them degreased and painted (Duplicolor Engine Enamel, Cast Coat Iron color). Here they are bolted to the floor plate, and the floor plate is bolted to the wood base.

For scale, thats a 6" ruler in the lower left. Just the base parts done, and its already up to 14.6 pounds. Going to need one of those benchtop cranes you guys made for your trains!
Next parts get interesting to make - the lower level (pump level) frames, which go from the pads on the corners of the base plates up to the engine bed level, where the crankshaft will be. Need 12 of them. Each is basically straight, but they flare out at the ends, with angled pads. The frames angle in towards the ones on the opposite side, and each pair angles in towards the other pair on the same base. Going to need to make up some jigs for shaping the ends of the frames, and have to figure out how to do the flared sections at the ends.
Here is what the forest of pump frames looks like:

End view:

Side view showing the angled-in frames in each pair:

Going to take some figuring on how best to make these, and make them come out accurate as well - already envisioning some of the jigs...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2021, 11:16:45 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Time to "get jiggy wit it" as the pop music kids used to say.

Or as an old foreman of mine said often " ours is not to question why, ours is but to tool and die". Yes, he was a warped individual. (Especially after his tot of Navy rum - he was ex RCN and served on Corvettes in WW2)
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2021, 11:19:38 PM »
:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Time to "get jiggy wit it" as the pop music kids used to say.

Or as an old foreman of mine said often " ours is not to question why, ours is but to tool and die". Yes, he was a warped individual. (Especially after his tot of Navy rum - he was ex RCN and served on Corvettes in WW2)
Oh, HE was warped...... ooooookay.....    :lolb:    I do like the tool and die saying though.

My old coworkers used to say I didn't HAVE character, I WAS one!  Back when my mother was doing the genealogy for the family, she found sea captains, camping guides, soldiers, all that sort of thing. Most fun was the horse thief and the accused witch! 

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2021, 12:08:00 AM »
I hope the accused witch managed to evade those who accused her...

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2021, 12:31:19 AM »
I hope the accused witch managed to evade those who accused her...
Fortunately accused, not burned!

As an avid ship model builder, it was really fun to find out an ancestor was captain of the Sea Witch clipper ship. So, sorta two witch connections!

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2021, 12:42:09 AM »
Chris...

Yesterday, you say with the image ....'these are the Lower 6 pair of legs'........are the upper and lower pairs of 6 each legs of the same size & profile etc?

What material do you propose to use?   ....& fabricated construction [soldered feet] or a lot more swarf  :facepalm:

Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #119 on: March 25, 2021, 12:44:15 AM »

Fortunately accused, not burned!

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal