Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 154231 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2021, 05:01:42 PM »
Awwww my hero, masterful work Dog....... :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2021, 05:17:47 PM »
As mentioned, I got another circle of holes in the drill guide for the center pattern, which will hold the pump plunger chamber. This pattern is a little smaller diameter and has fewer holes. Used that like with the outer patterns in the small drill press:

With all the holes drilled in the base plates, time to start the relief shaping on the top surfaces. Started with the center rings, milled in on the rotary table with the plate held on a faceplate drilled/tapped to match the holes in the plate.

To get the relief cuts in past the screws, some clamps were used to finish those areas, with the screws taken out.
Then finished up with the outer ring.

For one of the three base plates, the one for the LP cylinder, there will be another partial ring extending off to the side. This is on the blueprints for the engine, but there are no parts that sit on this ring. It is clear from notations on the plans that Holly re-used a lot of parts between engines, so this extra ring must either be for another engine style, or maybe it was for the original steam exhaust drain, and it was not used after the condensor was added. I doubt that though, since the plans dont show any piping that would connect here. Maybe steam engines have unused appendages left over after they evolved from dinosaur engines?  :Lol:

Center rings cut in on the first two plates:

One more plate to go, then will start on the outer rings. The field around all the rings will be taken down after that, leaving the pads at the corners where the engine upright frames attach.

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2021, 05:39:55 PM »
Dinosaur engines?  You learn something new everyday.  I always thought that steam engines evolved from water wheels.

Offline kvom

« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2021, 12:24:44 PM »
This build is Chris showing off.   ^-^  Many months of entertainment for us in the gallery.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2021, 12:33:00 PM »
This build is Chris showing off.   ^-^  Many months of entertainment for us in the gallery.
Don't forget to lob some peanuts in from the gallery for me!   :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2021, 03:33:20 PM »
Got the center rings on all three plates milled down, then did the one plate with the partial ring out the side that I mentioned:

Then started in on the outer rings, beginning with the shapes at the very end - the pads at the corner that will hold the frame uprights, and the edge of the ring between them.

Doing the rest of the rings needed a couple of steps, since the base plates are too long to be able to swing in a full circle without hitting the mill column. So, with the center of the rotary table off to one side, did the first 3/4 or so of each circle:

then movedf the table over to the other side of the column to finish off the arcs. The outsides of the rings meet the corner pads, so I stopped a little short there, and will do the pad edges with the bases held in the vise.

With all the rings outlined, switched out the rotary table for the big mill vise, and squared up the edges of the corner pads

That leaves the rest of the field areas to take down, doing that in sections to reduce the overhang from the vise:

The tool marks show up looking nasty in the shop lights, but they feel smooth. I'll take them down with some sanding to a clean finish.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2021, 06:01:44 PM »
The rest of the background is milled back on the tops of the base plates, and took the detail sander to them to smooth out the end mill toolmarks

The shop elf on the upper right seems to approve, though the one just left of him seems to have fallen over. Too much Guinness from that pile of barrels!

Next up will be to cut the open gridwork into the undersides of the plates. Some might ask why, since it wont be seen, but I will know, plus it will take a bunch more weight out of the model. Just the cutting so far has taken them from about 5 pounds each down to 4, the gridwork should cut that in half again. After the gridwork, final step will be to taper the sides like the originals are. Lots of work in these bases, but I am glad I was not the one that had to pack all that sand into the casting molds for the originals! At 10' by 21.6', that must have been an interesting pour to watch!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2021, 09:41:56 PM »
Looking great Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

The brass stock does not seem to have warped much after milling the first side - probably not bananium then!  :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2021, 09:47:45 PM »
Looking great Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

The brass stock does not seem to have warped much after milling the first side - probably not bananium then!  :Lol:
Nope - no warping at all - I had stress relieved it first, an hour at 500F in the oven and let it cool. Does a great job to keep the brass bar stock from bending as one side is milled away. Otherwise, its pure Bananium!  Helps to make sure there is no oil/grease on the bars first, or the oven gets real smokey and stinks up the house.

:cheers:

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2021, 10:26:11 PM »
Looking great.

:popcorn:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2021, 11:20:26 PM »
Hi Chris, good plan re the stress relief before machining. The oil removal before using the house oven is good advice. I incurred domestic wrath a few times tempering things or heating motorcycle / small engine parts for valve guide or insert installs, when I didn't get all the oil off.  They were   :facepalm: :slap: :help: situations.

My wife is extremely supportive of my workshop activities - as long as there is no oil smoke or swarf brought in the house! :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline john mills

« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2021, 12:06:34 AM »
Hi
to get the oil off you could run them through the dish washer .
I was working werehwe reconditioned engines .

The managing director had read about using dishwashers for cleaning small parts .Not telling us what he was intending he requested a tray containing 200 hyrolicic valve lifters or cam followers he was given the requested tray 200 parts dripping sump oil .he went home when the wife went out shopping the tray was put in the dish washer in the kitchen and the cycle started .we were told when the door was opened after a few minutes
oil every where  only thing that could be done was shut the door and continue the cycle.when the wife was heard returning  quick the cycle had finished everything clean took the tray out side .raided the pantry for some spray cooking oil to stop rusting .wife never new and the method of cleaning found to work.

John

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2021, 07:03:30 AM »
The sky there in Rochester must be darken by some brass swarf.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2021, 12:09:06 PM »
The sky there in Rochester must be darken by some brass swarf.
Sky is currently clear, but I had checked the 5 gallon collector bucket on the vacuum/seperator the other day, it was almost full and had to be emptied of its combination of steel, brass, wood, plastic from the last few projects!

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2021, 01:28:26 PM »
 :thinking:...and I felt certain all of that brass swarf would have been saved for heat treatment  :Mad: cooling beds..........

Maybe, as  I am just starting so 100 years beyond your treasure.. :wine1:

Derek
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 08:32:44 PM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal