Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 155355 times)

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #375 on: April 27, 2021, 12:29:45 AM »
No, the 3 gussets on each side of each pump chamber are the supporting elements for the upstairs weight

The outer face of each of these sets of gussets is not a vertical line, each face tapers back into the body of the pump chamber

Look at my mockup, you can see your BLUE line just below my YELLOW line [in the approx horizontal plane]

Let us see the end elevation view [as seen] of the RED arrow

Derek
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 12:54:17 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #376 on: April 27, 2021, 12:56:51 AM »
Hi Derek,
Sorry, i've been working on the pipes all day, and my brain got stuck thinking about them!

Yes, on the brackets, the gussets are completely vertical, but the outer face does taper back to the pump body at a 15 degree angle. All three of the vertical gussets have the same angle, which makes them easier for me to mill.  Here is the other side view:

What I am planing to do is to mount the pump chambers back onto the jig I used to mill the slots - that jig is still in the collet block, and is marked for the which face of the pumps goes to that side of the jig, so I can put them back on square to the collet block again. Then, I'll clamp the collet block at a 15 degree angle and run the mill down the gussets  to give them the angle. Should be easy to do, probably have to do the last little bit where the side gussets meet the body by hand since the pump body is on a curve there.The jig will also let me clamp the soldered body upright and square so that I can drill the holes in the tops of the brackets where the vertical struts to the engine blocks go. That jig is getting a lot of work on these parts! Trying to line the bodies up without it would have been really tough.
 :cheers:

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #377 on: April 27, 2021, 01:08:32 AM »
Yep.......

That's exactly how I assumed you would achieve & complete this multiple machining function... as you say the Jig :hammerbash:  is getting a multiple of uses 

Derek  :cheers:
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #378 on: April 27, 2021, 04:04:30 PM »
Moved on to milling the other ends of the pipe sections, using the same jig as before to hold the parts. Since this end is longer I had to switch to a longer-flute end mill, fortunately had picked up some of them this past winter. This end is a little smaller than the first one but the same shape, it has to fit inside the opening in the valve housing. A flange for bolting it up will be added later. Here it is with sides taken in and first end rounded over:

And the second end

First one set in place in the pumnp chamber and with the valve housing too:

The end that goes into the valve housing will be trimmed back a little, and the holes through will be enlarged for full water flow. There will be a set of drilled/tapped holes at the valve end to bolt it to the check valve housing (that part of things will be shown later, it was what I had 3D printed a prototype of to make sure it would all fit and be accessible for attaching it all together).

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #379 on: April 27, 2021, 08:30:26 PM »
Chris,  Every time you post on this project I am in awe and want to comment but cannot keep saying "WOW", etc, so will refrain from posting replies. I am following closely and quietly :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :cheers:       terry

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #380 on: April 27, 2021, 08:39:21 PM »
Chris,  Every time you post on this project I am in awe and want to comment but cannot keep saying "WOW", etc, so will refrain from posting replies. I am following closely and quietly :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :cheers:       terry
Great to have you along Terry, there are plenty of other builds on the forum I do the same thing with!   :cheers:

Online cnr6400

« Reply #381 on: April 27, 2021, 09:50:23 PM »
Pump assembly is looking great Chris!  :cheers:  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #382 on: April 27, 2021, 11:28:33 PM »

Ok Terry, I’ll say it for you:  WOW !  :popcorn: :popcorn:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #383 on: April 28, 2021, 12:13:34 AM »
Hi Chris, this is looking really good ..amazing and you do work very quickly. can I borrow some of your Genes  ?!! as it takes me ages to make my models  !!!

Willy

Offline gunna

• Melbourne, Oz.
« Reply #384 on: April 28, 2021, 09:40:21 AM »
I'm with Terry and Craig (above). Think I will just shutup and watch!
Ian.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #385 on: April 28, 2021, 01:34:04 PM »
Thanks very much everyone, much appreciated!  This is a big project, going to be at it for quite a while with all the details that I want to include in it. At first look I'd see the scope of it, and run the other way, but like an elephant sandwich, one bite at a time!

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #386 on: April 28, 2021, 03:33:47 PM »
One of the most important mental disciplines to develop in our hobby is the ability to get as stimulated and excited about making one perfect part, no matter how small, as you would when the project is finished and running.

I'm still working on that; self-discipline has never been my strong suit (just ask my wife). :-)

Like many others, I tune in every day for the next episode but seldom comment.  Keep up the build log; like your others, it will become an icon for future builders.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #387 on: April 28, 2021, 03:47:01 PM »
One of the most important mental disciplines to develop in our hobby is the ability to get as stimulated and excited about making one perfect part, no matter how small, as you would when the project is finished and running.

That's very true. I was just commenting to my wife yesterday about how I now enjoy making each individual part for it's own sake and not being always so impatient to see the bigger project finished. That may be a combination of aging and the nature of this activity. Anyway, I'm not sure I could sustain that attitude over the course of a project with the scope of yours, Chris, but you've already well demonstrated that you can!
Regards,
Ron

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #388 on: April 28, 2021, 09:07:11 PM »
Outstanding work Dog........  :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #389 on: April 29, 2021, 12:04:18 AM »

I'm still working on that; self-discipline has never been my strong suit (just ask my wife). :-)

Like many others, I tune in every day for the next episode but seldom comment.  Keep up the build log; like your others, it will become an icon for future builders.

Very well put. In addition to having a high standard for accepting a part, its important to know when you are getting a little tired and to walk away from the shop for a break. I've always struggled with both, getting better over time. Sometimes when I stall on a project and lose interest, I'll look back at early parts and realize that I don't like something, and decide to either remake or improve it. Had a partly rigged ship model like that once, realized finally that the reason I stopped working on it was that the thread was too thick on the shrouds, making it look chunky. Bit the bullet, stripped it back and redid it, that made all the difference and kept at it. I still have parts that I settle for but am not thrilled with, thats a tough discipline to master! But, I try to raise the bar a bit each time. Not always successful, but its a goal. Chocolate chip cookies are a good reward incentive!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal