Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 154191 times)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #2010 on: January 12, 2022, 08:50:22 PM »
What a great addition  ;)  though careful here - not everybody is of equal height  ;D

Curious to see how you will paint them - including skin colour (though that 'might be easy' with the boss - a pale skin  :Jester: ).

Per

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2011 on: January 12, 2022, 09:43:53 PM »
What a great addition  ;)  though careful here - not everybody is of equal height  ;D

Curious to see how you will paint them - including skin colour (though that 'might be easy' with the boss - a pale skin  :Jester: ).

Per
:Lol:
I was tempted to use a Dilbert and a pointy haired boss set of figures...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #2012 on: January 13, 2022, 12:11:15 AM »
Figures look great Chris. The right side one reminds me of Alfred the butler in the 1960's Batman show. Good to hear about the apult for when need arises!  :Lol:  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

If you did use a Dilbert figure, it would be appropriate, you would have an engineer at the throttle!  :Lol: (modern usage of "engineer")
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2013 on: January 13, 2022, 12:42:08 AM »
Figures look great Chris. The right side one reminds me of Alfred the butler in the 1960's Batman show. Good to hear about the apult for when need arises!  :Lol: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

If you did use a Dilbert figure, it would be appropriate, you would have an engineer at the throttle!  :Lol: (modern usage of "engineer")
I was an engineer, and I am working the throttle, so maybe I'll print a Catbert for the 'apult...   :Lol:
I did work with a guy who worked with the woman who the Alice character was based on.  :atcomputer:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2014 on: January 13, 2022, 03:15:24 PM »
Yesterday and this morning got the curved corner sections and deck plates for the second catwalk made:

Next will be the lower catwalk, which is at the bottom of the engine beds. This one is the most complex, since it steps in and out in the center, and has sections next to the flywheels. The brackets for it have to step back in where they fit around the top of the pump frames too. The techniques will be the same for the brackets, just with more shaping.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #2015 on: January 13, 2022, 08:57:02 PM »
I really can visualize your earlier comment about the lack of space on the Catwalk - there certainly are some areas where the 'new Members of the Team', will have to be very careful if they want to pass when the engine is running .... almost feel like  :Director:  CAREFUL There.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2016 on: January 13, 2022, 09:01:45 PM »
I really can visualize your earlier comment about the lack of space on the Catwalk - there certainly are some areas where the 'new Members of the Team', will have to be very careful if they want to pass when the engine is running .... almost feel like  :Director:  CAREFUL There.
Well, it gets safer (not) when the railings are there to hold you close to all the moving bits!   :LittleDevil:   

Last year when I got the chance to walk around on the catwalks of the Allis engine in Boston, I got a first-hand view of how many places there were to get hands/feet caught, forehead whacked, etc. Definitely no safety officers around back then!  Same on the steam shovels - it was almost impossible to walk down the cab next to the main hoist engine/gears without leaning on them. Not a problem when not running, but if moving, yikes! It quickly explained why the old photos usually showed planks that the crews hung on the outside of the cab walls to let them go from front to back around the engine compartment.

Offline horst.b.0

« Reply #2017 on: January 14, 2022, 06:32:56 AM »
!  Same on the steam shovels - it was almost impossible to walk down the cab next to the main hoist engine/gears without leaning on them. Not a problem when not running, but if moving, yikes! It quickly explained why the old photos usually showed planks that the crews hung on the outside of the cab walls to let them go from front to back around the engine compartment.
The shovel‘s band brake linings used to contain asbestos. This was very close to the operator‘s place.  :smokin2:
Kind regards, Horst

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2018 on: January 14, 2022, 07:04:31 PM »
!  Same on the steam shovels - it was almost impossible to walk down the cab next to the main hoist engine/gears without leaning on them. Not a problem when not running, but if moving, yikes! It quickly explained why the old photos usually showed planks that the crews hung on the outside of the cab walls to let them go from front to back around the engine compartment.
The shovel‘s band brake linings used to contain asbestos. This was very close to the operator‘s place.  :smokin2:
On the early ones here the brake bands were lined with Elm wood blocks - must have been interesting to call the carpenter in to do a brake job on your steam shovel!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2019 on: January 14, 2022, 07:07:11 PM »
Gotten a start on the lower level catwalk brackets. Since these step down from the engine bed to the angled frames underneath, the large ends need to be stepped in first. Did that with the parts hanging off the end of the jig. This level also has different width floor plates in several places, so more sizes of brackets to make.

Here is a test fit of the first one, all good, so will start shaping the bracket frame next...

As before, am making the in pairs from each bar to save metal.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #2020 on: January 15, 2022, 12:10:05 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2022 on: January 15, 2022, 02:16:21 AM »
Good lord Chris!!!!1 :o

That is magnificent!!!!      :AllHailTheKing: :drinking-41:
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2023 on: January 15, 2022, 07:24:05 PM »
Thanks Dave! 

Been plugging away on the lower level catwalk brackets, down to the last couple cuts on each. There are four different shapes to the brackets on this level, and most of them step back from the upper to lower mounting holes.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #2024 on: January 16, 2022, 12:17:41 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal