Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build  (Read 96347 times)

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Build
« Reply #1995 on: January 11, 2022, 10:43:27 PM »
In the movie, the sound came from a cement making plant I believe that was make cement for a high rise build. I may have spelled it wrong but the sound is very close.
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sown up all wrong!

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #1996 on: January 11, 2022, 11:00:40 PM »
In the movie, the sound came from a cement making plant I believe that was make cement for a high rise build. I may have spelled it wrong but the sound is very close.
Would that have been a "Hoffa Plant"?
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1997 on: January 11, 2022, 11:26:23 PM »
Would that have been a "Hoffa Plant"?
Gerald.
That was the odd sound - Hoffa breathing cement?!    :LittleDevil:

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #1998 on: January 12, 2022, 12:13:32 AM »
I'm confused. Are you saying that fantastic model is really a cement pumper for the Mafia?
Regards,
Ron

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1999 on: January 12, 2022, 12:19:02 AM »
I'm confused. Are you saying that fantastic model is really a cement pumper for the Mafia?
Step back into this dark alley and we can discuss it....    :LittleDevil:

Wow, this is one of the wierder side-trips this thread has taken. And that is saying something!

Back on a more model-building related topic, anyone know of a good source for some 1:32 scale plastic figures that would be appropriate for a model like this? Engineer/worker types, to place on the catwalks/ladders. Lots of toy soldiers available, not seeing much in the worker type, other than some rediculously expensive ones.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #2000 on: January 12, 2022, 12:30:42 AM »
Hi Chris, saw the latest video today, I think the engine sounds great! I'd say you have the timing extremely close. It could just be some more break-in running will get it 100% smooth. :cheers:  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Re your figures for the catwalks - you could try thingiverse or one of the other 3D printer sharing sites for figures of workers of the period , close to the right size, and scale them down to 1/32 in Cura or whatever slicer you use. If you print them or have them printed on a high resolution resin printer like a Formlabs or an Elegoo with 0.02 mm res they may be good likenesses with decent details. Be sure to get at least one cat, for the ___walks.  :facepalm:  :Lol:

Are any engine house staff or chief engineers shown in any of the old photos you have of the Holly engine and engine house?

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #2001 on: January 12, 2022, 12:59:07 AM »
anyone know of a good source for some 1:32 scale plastic figures that would be appropriate for a model like this?
Did you already find these expensive ones?
https://www.blackforesthobby.com/preiser-63077-11689-scale-track-workers-usa-1-32/
Regards,
Ron

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2002 on: January 12, 2022, 01:37:59 AM »
anyone know of a good source for some 1:32 scale plastic figures that would be appropriate for a model like this?
Did you already find these expensive ones?
https://www.blackforesthobby.com/preiser-63077-11689-scale-track-workers-usa-1-32/
Yeah, I did see those at a couple stores - very nice, but the prices are crazy for such a small figure.
 :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2003 on: January 12, 2022, 01:46:00 AM »
Hi Chris, saw the latest video today, I think the engine sounds great! I'd say you have the timing extremely close. It could just be some more break-in running will get it 100% smooth. :cheers: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Re your figures for the catwalks - you could try thingiverse or one of the other 3D printer sharing sites for figures of workers of the period , close to the right size, and scale them down to 1/32 in Cura or whatever slicer you use. If you print them or have them printed on a high resolution resin printer like a Formlabs or an Elegoo with 0.02 mm res they may be good likenesses with decent details. Be sure to get at least one cat, for the ___walks.  :facepalm: :Lol:

Are any engine house staff or chief engineers shown in any of the old photos you have of the Holly engine and engine house?
Very happy with how the engine is running now!
I have been looking at the 3d model sites, have not found anything suitable yet. I have printed small pilot figures on my filament printer, but at these small sizes they dont look that good, as you say it would need a good resin type printer.
I don't have a cat for the walks, though I DO have an apult for the cat...  :LittleDevil:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2004 on: January 12, 2022, 05:12:57 AM »
That is looking great, Chris! You've got the timing down pretty well, I'd say!

(I'm just going to ignore the cement sub-thread here  O:-)

Good luck finding little worker dudes for your engine.  I like the idea of printing them!

Kim 

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #2005 on: January 12, 2022, 03:35:29 PM »
With some creative painting, and maybe gentle heating and re-bending, something like these could be made to work? At least they're inexpensive.
https://architectscornerla.com/duroedge-scale-figures
Regards,
Ron

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2006 on: January 12, 2022, 04:46:25 PM »
With some creative painting, and maybe gentle heating and re-bending, something like these could be made to work? At least they're inexpensive.
https://architectscornerla.com/duroedge-scale-figures
Ooh - those are great! Enough detail to show that they are a person and not some cartoon superhero!

I did find a couple of .stl files of guys in suits elsewhere, and am going to try 3D printing them myself. The previous ones I tried were at a .2mm layer height, going to try them at .1mm, should give better results, will post pics later...

Thanks!

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #2007 on: January 12, 2022, 05:20:38 PM »
Chris, back in my 1:32 scale days I liked Preiser figures they are nicely painted something I can not do well. Here is what they have now:

https://www.reynaulds.com/catalog/dept_358.aspx

Why do the railroad guys look like they just lost the train??

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2008 on: January 12, 2022, 05:43:38 PM »
Chris, back in my 1:32 scale days I liked Preiser figures they are nicely painted something I can not do well. Here is what they have now:

https://www.reynaulds.com/catalog/dept_358.aspx

Why do the railroad guys look like they just lost the train??

Cheers Dan
They do look like one is saying,     Wait, I left the train Right HERE! Did you set the brake??

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2009 on: January 12, 2022, 07:26:19 PM »
Success on the 3D printing. I found some stl files of guys in suits, would have preferred work types but for the period the stupervisors often wore suits, can always add some in worker clothes if I find some later. Changing the printer setting to a 0.1mm layer thickness and having thier backs on the platen gave decent results with minimal support material to remove. Here they are standing on the catwalk, really shows the scale of these engines!
The files were at no particular scale, I told the slicer to scale them to the height I wanted.