Author Topic: Ed hunter cylinder bolts  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Dan the man

Ed hunter cylinder bolts
« on: March 08, 2021, 11:58:19 AM »
Hi folks, during an "otherwise "successful run of my ed hunter mark four three of the four cylinder bolts sheared right off!
I'm wondering if anyone knows what size these bolts area I need to get some ,any help appreciated.

Regards

Danny

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Ed hunter cylinder bolts
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 07:32:03 PM »
Hi Danny

It's probably only Ramon that knows for sure here and he's not always around.
So I would suggest that you write him a PM, as I'm sure he will be more than happy to answer your question.

Best wishes

Per

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 10:05:43 PM »
Thanks Per  :ThumbsUp:

Hi Danny, I forgot to look this afternoon so just been out to the workshop to check for you.

I assume you mean the cylinder bolts that hold the liner to the crankcase as the cylinder head has 6 bolts. They are all 6 BA Cheese head so you should be able source these easy enough but if you can send me a PM with your address and I'll pop four in the post for you. You'll have to shorten them to suit as they are 1" long.

Regards - Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Dan the man

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 08:24:34 AM »
Hi Tug ,there is of course one thing bothering me,why did my bolts break?did I turn up compression too much, or were they too tight, or perhaps had vibrated loose and the cylinder was moving and kind of hammered them off!
Any ideas?
I really dont want to break your new ones!
Cheers
Danny

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 12:04:00 PM »
Hi Dan, well they've probably been in there since it was made and who knows what use it's had. If they have been overtightened in the past they may have had the heads stressed but I would think it's most likely a combination of them becoming loose and metal fatigue. I wouldn't think that increasing compression would cause it.

They should just need a firm nip to bring them up tight and not overtightened - it's only an ali case after all. A little thread locker on the threads will help loosening with vibration but clean the holes out of old oil first.

I'll get these in the post tomorrow for you - having a major clean up of swarf today!

Tug

Offline Dan the man

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 11:59:15 AM »
Thank you so much Tug
Cheers

Danny

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 01:12:05 PM »
Hi Dan - just been down and posted you some. Yesterday was just too wild and woolie to venture out.

If it turns out they are under size it's possible your engine may have been retapped for 5BA - just let me know if so.

Glad to be of help to keep a good old diesel design running :ThumbsUp:

Tug

Offline Dan the man

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 07:42:20 PM »
Tug,
        Thanks so much ,bolts are perfect and the little hunter is running again!
I'm still learning how to start it ,getting better and of course I'm still learning how to get get it running just right.
Anyway thanks again!

Cheers

Danny

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 10:24:28 PM »
You're welcome Dan, glad to be of help.

I don't know what prop you are using but if bench running it's best to keep the pitch of the prop low -  ideal is 4" pitch diameter about 10". This allows the engine to rev without loading and the heat building up too quickly.

Enjoy the running, I can fair smell the whiff of diesel from here  ;)

Tug

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 11:46:33 AM »
Great to hear that you and the engine is 'back in business' Dan  :ThumbsUp:

I don't know what prop you are using but if bench running it's best to keep the pitch of the prop low -  ideal is 4" pitch diameter about 10". This allows the engine to rev without loading and the heat building up too quickly.

Very interesting info here Ramon and a logical explanation - thank you.
I've been asking a few experts about the prop size to use on different engines - rule of thumb etc.  and I usually do not get much info. I can see why it's not an easy answer ....

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 08:44:49 PM »
Hello Per,

I always prefer to use low pitch props when bench running diesels for as said this allows the engine to run without as much load as a 6" or more pitch would give. Also prefer to use wooden props for lightness for same reason. I control the increasing of revs as running progresses by reducing diameter but still not increasing pitch - always making sure the engine never overheats if possible. Everyone will have their different approaches but this fits my thinking. The important thing is not to 'over prop' on diameter in order to slow things right down as this puts a lot of strain on crankpin and shaft.

Hope you are well, our regards to John

Tug

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 09:49:39 PM »
Hi Tug

We are doing fine - though not seeing each other much right now (or most of this winter).
John is back to work - him and a friend of mine has a garden, wood etc. company + happy about the bike back on the street for short runs now and it's bigger (suits him better) than the one you saw him on.

My big bike is in pieces in the workshop. It turned 18 and needed some TLC - like new bearings in the wheels, suspension etc. and I plan to add some automatic chain oiling system + mount heated grips and a few minor other things .... but at least I got the Off-Roader back on the street again, so I'm not without transport  :)

Have just send an application for a new job .... hopefully with a much better pay and stable income - have not been paid for the last few months, as the rest of us there ....

Say hello to Sue and best wishes from here

Per

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal