Author Topic: Bought myself a retirement present!  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Re: Bought myself a retirement present!
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2021, 10:23:40 PM »
Kim,
I have a few years to go before I can retire myself.  Congratulations it is quite an accomplishment. Enjoy yourself & don't get to busy. I have a pair of speakers and a receiver inherited from my dad, need to set it up though.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2021, 11:06:11 PM »
Congratulations on your retirement Kim. You'll be amazed how quickly you'll settle into the retirement lifestyle. I'm sure you won't have any trouble keeping busy. I was fortunate to be able to retire at 56. Been retired for 18 years now and have enjoyed every minute.

I bought that exact radio, as your old one, back in the early seventies. It was known back then for it's long range receiving capabilities and a lot of the offshore cruising types had them. Audio quality............not so much!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2021, 11:13:10 PM »
Thanks for the well wishes, Art and Jim! :)

My first order of business today was to get my new sound system setup.

I picked a likely spot for the speakers, though I may move them around a little to try them out in different locations – I’m mainly looking for good even sound coverage around the shop.

One is on the shelves that hold mostly household stuff (as opposed to shop stuff).  But as you see here, I’ve got my tender sitting on the shelf too :).

And I will likely put a small shelf on the wall here for the speaker.  I don’t really want it sitting on top of the powder-coating long term. But to try it out, its not bad.  Here I’ve got it facing the wall.  It seems to help distribute the sound wider this way.  Not sure it will stay like that though.

And lastly, I put the receiver on a shelf and re-arranged some of my storage bins.  Anyway, I left the wires for the speakers on the long side so I had the flexibility to move them around some and we’ll see what I like best.

I can tell you it is FAR better than my little radio.  And I get much better coverage around the shop and it sounds quite good.  You certainly don’t get a booming bass out of those little bookshelf speakers, but then again, that’s not necessarily the top priority here.  But I am pleased with how they can fill up the shop without sounding like they are trying.  Still have some headroom, which is good.

So, my verdict is that while not perfect (a little more base would be fun) they are certainly worth what I paid for them and I’m pleased with the speakers and the tuner.

Kim
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 11:34:43 PM by Kim »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2021, 04:42:13 AM »
Congrats on the retirement Kim and I am sure it’s well earned. It’s been five years for me and still enjoying it. Love the sound system I never put one in mine but I do have a big radio my kids gave me for my birthday 21 years ago and it has never be turned off since the first day I tuned it on and it’s still playing today. Enjoy buddy you earned it.... :pinkelephant:

:cheers:
Don

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2021, 05:16:17 AM »
Thanks Don!
I'm quite looking forward to it!   We'll see how it goes, eh? :)
Kim

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2021, 01:23:57 PM »
Hi Kim, just came on to find you've made the great day. :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Congratulations on reaching retirement - a milestone for sure and one to be savoured. A couple of points to bear in mind of which I'm sure you won't mind me saying  :D

It disappears at an alarming rate and out of all proportion to days at work

You only get one go at it so make the very best of it

Beware of those who now think you have time on your hands to do things for them that they are to idle to do themselves - thats family excepted of course

I've had twenty one years of it so not much left now but I make sure I don't waste a minute of it. ('cept for things like this ;))

On that note then turn that radio on and have a truly great time

Best regards - Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2021, 03:17:22 PM »
:-) I'd have to hang on till I was 112 to have as many years of retirement as "work" . But many of those work years were as much fun as most of the retirement ones have been (a lot more than the last year) :-)  from age 18 till 65 "jobs" like TV repairman to RADAR maintenance to senior engineer , always in the electronic field. Wood and metal working has been great change . :-) AND I don't like radio or other "entertainment" while I'm playing in the shop.
   ...lew...

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2021, 03:37:45 PM »
I don't know what the radio stations in Portland are like but here in LALA land the selection is abysmal.  Even the lone classical station is annoyingly commercialized.

My receiver is next to my desk and has a feed from my computer directed to one of its inputs.  That opens the possibility of listening to internet feeds from stations all over the country/world. 

For the shop, absent a computer, an MP3 player feeds the older receiver out there.  Keep that solution in mind if you tire of what the Portland airwaves have to offer.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2021, 05:00:56 PM »
Thanks for the great advice Tug!  Seems like very sound advice, thank you!

Lew, sometimes I work out in the shop with no background audio, but not usually.  I find I enjoy listening to things going on, and quite frequently I learn something useful or interesting by listening to the radio.

Marv, I mainly listen to KOBP which is the local NPR station here in the Portland area.  And when I get tired of that or don't like what's on (which happens) I now have the option of listening to anything I can stream from my phone (the receiver has built-in BlueTooth).  So I've got lots of classical music, rock, and all sorts of eclectic things I can listen to plus anything else I could find to stream.  So hopefully I'll be set.

Kim

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2021, 02:11:58 PM »
Kim I'm convinced my brain is a single track. I can do only one thing at a time. I envy those that can "walk and chew gum at the same time" .
:-)  I'm to the point where if there are two people talking at the same time, I understand absolutely nothing.
   ...lew...

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2021, 02:53:19 PM »
Lew, I'm with you on the conversation problem.        Kim ,I used to love my big speakers in the workshop.  My hearing aids now convert music into an irritating noise so speakers and radio have gone :'(      Enjoy but not too loud!       Terry

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2021, 06:08:02 PM »
Well, thank you both!  I'm sorry that conversations get muddled with other sounds around.  I have some relatives who feel the same way - can't hear anything if more than one person is talking.  I'm sure I'll get there too. But for now, I'll enjoy :)

Kim

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2021, 10:43:53 PM »
Hi Kim

Getting in late on this but CONGRATULATIONS  :whoohoo:

I've been retired for eight years now and I look back and wonder how I ever put up with it all :lolb:

I too have the radio in the shop; tuned to the classical station (WCPE) here in Raleigh.  It's GREAT till Saturday afternoon when they put on the metropolitan opera   :toilet_claw:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2021, 10:58:02 PM »
Thanks, Craig!  Never too late for that :)

Not a big Opera fan, eh?   I can enjoy Opera from time to time but it's not a steady diet.  I enjoy a pretty wide range of music.

Kim

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2021, 10:59:30 PM »

I too have the radio in the shop; tuned to the classical station (WCPE) here in Raleigh.  It's GREAT till Saturday afternoon when they put on the metropolitan opera. 

I listen to WCPE regularly via the computer when our local classical station, KUSC, has one of its annoying, endless pledge breaks.  When the opera comes on, I switch to the KBAQ stream in Phoenix; they don't broadcast the Italian revenge.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal