Author Topic: Bought myself a retirement present!  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Bought myself a retirement present!
« on: March 06, 2021, 01:50:13 AM »
Well, I’ve done it.

Today was my last day of work!  I’m officially retired! 😊 Well, not exactly official yet – I’m on vacation for the next two months and THEN I’m officially retired.  But for all intents and purposes, as of today, I’m out on my own!  And I could hardly be more excited!

So, to celebrate my newfound freedom, I bought myself a retirement present for the shop.  No, not a new big expensive tool (though that’s still not out of the question 😊).  I figured that since I will be spending more time out in my man cave, I wanted a better sound system out there.  No, I don’t need anything really high-end, what with machines running and whatnot.  But I’ve been using a transistor radio that I inherited from my father-in-law.  It’s been a great companion for 15+ years, but honestly, it is quite tinny-sounding the reception is pretty sketchy sometimes (weather-related I think).  And what's worse, when you get it loud enough to hear at the far end of the shop it hurts your ears when you’re at the near end.  This is the old radio I've been using, and believe it or not, it sounds worse than it looks!

So, I’ve purchased this little setup!  It’s an entry-level receiver – nothing fancy, just AM/FM radio and Bluetooth, plus an inexpensive set of passive bookshelf speakers.  They were highly rated but cost less than $90 for the pair.  And the receiver was about $140.  There were some cheaper options but they just got bad reviews, so I bumped up to a known name that got much better reviews.

So, after my virtual retirement lunch today, I was all done at work - no more obligations.  So I shut down my laptop and went out to the garage to open up my amazon boxes to see what I had.  And I think I'm pretty pleased:

I’ll be spending some of my shop time tomorrow setting this up and I’ll give you a full report on how it turns out.

But this ought to keep me good company now that I’ll have more time to spend in the shop!  (He says optimistically 😊)

And you retired folk can give me all your good advice.  I need it being a newbie to this living footloose and fancy-free lifestyle!

Kim

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Bought myself a retirement present!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 02:14:56 AM »
Congratulations Kim!    I'm about 10 years out from there...but it's getting closer.    I need a better rig in my shop too.....it's on the list

Enjoy!!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 02:22:32 AM »
Welcome to the retirement club!  Pretty soon you'll be forgetting what that W*rk word means. Then you'll have to ask someone what day it is. No problem, just grin and go play!
 :)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 03:40:53 AM »
Wow congratulations Kim!
I would have guessed that you were much younger than me, I still have a few years to go.

Dave 

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 05:04:33 AM »
Congratulations, Kim. Hope you enjoy your retirement  :).

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 07:35:56 AM »
Well done Kim, welcome to what should be the best part of your life.  :whoohoo: I am in my third year of retirement and I can highly recommend it.  :pinkelephant:

(Once Covid is under control and we are allowed out you will find there is another much better world out there beyond W*rk  :paranoia:)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 08:59:28 AM »
Congratulations and welcome to the retirement club. ;D

I have to admit that whenever I see a contrail high above in the sky I miss work.

Vince

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 11:10:02 AM »
Congrats Kim! Enjoy the extra time.
You'll have plenty of extra time, right?
Yeah, right.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 12:28:18 PM »
Welcome to retirement, and the joy of music to work/think/ponder by.
I find having some sort of music in the background keeps my mind from wandering too far while turning handles and dials.

In a while you will wonder how you had time to work, this retirement thing is a very different life for those with hobbies and interests.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline Tom1948

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 12:44:20 PM »
Soon you will be so busy that you will wonder how you had time for work. At least that is how it is in my case. Congratulations ! I hope you enjoy your new "sounds"

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 12:48:44 PM »
Welcome to the club Kim!  I'm at 4 years and change, can't imagine going back to that w%$k stuff.

I had a 1970's era radioshack radio in the shop for years, when it finally expired, my brother gave me
an identical unit he'd had hiding in a cupboard! 

Cheers, Joe

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 01:36:12 PM »
Congratulations Kim on retirement and the new shop addition. Enjoy the time that is yours now.
I'm just coming up on the end of my first year in retirement and am so grateful for having the opportunity to retire while being able to enjoy it.
Charlie

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 03:01:13 PM »
Hi Kim,
that seems to be a special retirement issue.
One of my first purchase after starting the retirement last December, was a good set of speakers for my shop computer.
So I am able to listen to the internet radio now.
Enjoy your time, it will take some weeks and than you will sit down be asked by yourself, how did you get it managed earlier to find the time to go to work.

As Gerrit already mentioned.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 03:52:27 PM »
Congratulations, Kim. 

I really like your new receiver.  I have exactly the same model sitting next to my desk here as I type.  It works very well except for a sensitivity to power line transients that can turn it on or off unexpectedly. 

I retired on my 55th birthday and can recommend it highly.  I'll be turning 80 this June and have already bought myself my octogenarian birthday present - a fancy new camera with all the bells and whistles.  I have a retirement goal.  If I can live to 88 I will have been retired for as many years as I worked - my idea of a life well-lived.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2021, 04:29:38 PM »
Thank you everyone for the kind thoughts and words of encouragement as I set out into this new phase of life. I'm quite ready to give it a try!  I'll be sure and keep you all posted on how I'm doing.

And Marv, if I can do what you're aiming for - be retired as many years as I worked - I agree; that would be real work/life balance  :Lol:

Now, out to the shop to set up my fancy new sound system! :)
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal