Author Topic: 5C indexer clean up  (Read 961 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
5C indexer clean up
« on: March 03, 2021, 01:38:31 AM »
Got it dirt cheap some time back at a yard sale......don't ask what Hardinge wants for a new one.....They are MIGHTY proud of it!!

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: 5C indexer clean up
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 01:56:02 AM »
I started by taking it apart....everything.   The spindle is a hardened steel tapered OD affair, and it fits into a tapered bore on the Cast iron housing.    A fitting ring adjusts the depth of engagement, and it's ground at the factory.    A simple nut with a lock key takes it off....it needed a bit of brass and a mallet as it's a press fit but not real heavy.

I put all the small parts into a paint pale with mineral spirits to clean them....the big parts when right into Evaporust.    I left them for 2 days.

When I took them out of the solution, the rust was gone....but the paint had a rusty hue.   I surmised that years of cutting oil and very small chips had coated the Hamerite (spelling?) and that was showing....so I got my pail of Simple great out and large tooth brush and scrubbed them down.   That and a few rinses in the simple green solved that problem....paint actually looks really good!

I then took the small parts and put them in Evaporust and cleaned them up....that was very uneventful. 
Its missing one pivot bolt for the lever collet closer, but it's simply a modified bolt, so I'll get one the appropriate size and length and make one

Then it's back together.  spindle first and adjust, then the rest....pretty easy....The little woodruff key is a right little pain as it fits the index ring VERY tightly...I needed to stone it a bit to get it back together....

I'll be doing the same thing on my little Gorton Grinder as well....already have the collets cleaned up  ( Rivett 4NS....full set)....

Then a few other tools I want sorted out.....It's good to make progress...... 8)
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 02:39:46 AM »
Looks great Dave!
It is fun to restore quality tools.

Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 03:33:58 AM »
Great find and nice refurbish job buddy.... isn’t it great to get things back to looking and working?

:cheers:
Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal