Author Topic: A Weir Steam Pump  (Read 5200 times)

Offline cnr6400

Re: A Weir Steam Pump
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 06:40:12 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

You must have got some dilithium crystals in your Christmas stocking, cause you are running at warp factor 9 on this build!  :Lol:

( I got coal in mine, but not complaining, as it is handy for the forge)  :shrug:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2021, 08:05:14 PM »
No dilithium needed for this next part, got the pump body block drilled and bolted on. The vertical hole down the center has a narrower center section, and connects to another hole through the lower pump section where the piston rod ends. There will be two more sections added to the vertical passage to form the rest of the check valve. The cross passage is currently plugged with a rather ugly SHCS - that will need to be changed too.

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 11:57:02 PM »
Sometimes - unlike yourself - I need a dose of dilithium just to get out to the shop...

Very tidy work.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2021, 02:38:57 AM »
Thats coming together very nicely Crueby!...   I recently saw a 2 cylinder fire fighting pump that is similar.....it got the juices flowing that's for sure!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2021, 02:47:32 AM »
Thanks guys, its kinda nice to get back to a mostly-brass project, its fun stuff to machine.

Dave, a fire fighting pumper would be a great vehicle project, one of the early horse drawn style. Never looked that close at how the early ones function. Another fun thing to research!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2021, 12:57:40 PM »
Here's a vid and a picture.....scotch yoke turning a small crankshaft with pins at 90 degrees....a simple engine    Looks like integral feed pumps as well

https://www.facebook.com/100001058723506/videos/4004284736283444/

Nice looker!

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2021, 01:27:37 PM »
Wow, that is a beautiful design on the merryweather pump!  We need to send Willy to Scotland to take measurements of the one there!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2021, 04:20:11 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Lot of good design features on that Scotch yoke pump / engine. Like it!
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2021, 05:00:19 PM »
Some more done on the model yesterday and today, got the two steam chests milled to shape and drilled. Both are similar shapes, with a recess on one side for the slide valves, the inner one is thicker than the outer reversing one.

Here is what they look like test fit on the cylinder block:

Being a bit top heavy and off center, the steam chests required that I make the base to keep it standing up. Simple aluminum plate with feet to keep it up off the bottom of the water tray it will sit in for demos

Now down to the moving and fiddly-bit parts - valves, rods, pistons, covers, and the reverse arm.

Offline tghs

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2021, 05:09:13 PM »
I was thinking something along the lines of this to keep him and the elves busy for a while..
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4o5StO9BrE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4o5StO9BrE</a>
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 06:06:15 PM by tghs »
what the @#&% over

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2021, 05:11:11 PM »
Was looking around for info on that Merryweather pump, and realized that Julius had posted plans for one based on an old magazine article - found a copy in my own folders of plans already!  Here is a link to a thread with his plans:
https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php?topic=3761.0
and the plans it is based on:
http://www.john-tom.com/MyPlans/SteamPlans2/Fire%20Engine%201908/ModelEngineerFireEngine1908Small.pdf

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2021, 05:13:40 PM »
I was thinking something along the lines of this to him and the elves busy for a while..
[youtube1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4o5StO9BrE[/youtube1]
I remember seeing that show, that was an AMAZING restoration job they did on a big fire engine. The shop elves would have to bribe ME with a LOT of cookies to attempt that one!
Another episode in that series was a restoration on an enormous pipe organ, in Chicago I think? The pipes and mechanism took up one  whole end of the building.

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2021, 05:20:32 PM »
In any shop, lathe chucks, milling cutters etc look like a bur when they are in  motion.

I suspect that in your shop, your hands are like a blur too given the rate of your progress.

Looking great...

:popcorn:

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2021, 06:37:07 PM »
Looking good there Crueby.  :ThumbsUp:  I like the finish you have on those parts.  :popcorn: :DrinkPint:

BC1
Jim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2021, 06:43:22 PM »
Thanks guys!

Jim, I am thinking of giving the recessed areas of the cylinder and pump blocks a sandblasting to make the look cast and get rid of the last of the tool marks. Had considered nickel plating it all, but I like the brass look.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal